Is it the 'younger' fans who have very little patience ?

MoodyBlue1872

With some of the hysterical posts in recent times with regard to almost completely writing off certain players/manager after a couple of substitute appearance etc. - is this a young person's thing in today's fast paced/opinionated social media/internet/forum world ??

Without going off tangent it seems that many young people can't accept some outcomes of democracy and bang out a about it being 'not fair' and all that stuff. They then demand things and demand them quickly - without wanting time for explanation they just want change and their opinion to count of else they throw a hissy fit.

So - the bears writing off the likes of Pena, Hererra, Dalcio, maybe Pedro etc. - are they younger types, say under 30 ??

Or is it not an age thing and as humans we are are all just getting sucked up in the pressures of life and want instant results in everything ? Either way, it makes me uncomfortable, the pace at which writing things/people off is happening.

No, it isn't the younger fans.

I've been sitting in Ibrox for pushing 50 years and the place has always been packed with moany bastards who expect instant success and wins every week. LOL :D

I'm 25 and I thought it was an older generation thing! I assumed it was old geezers who still couldn't accept we aren't the same force we were twenty years ago
Maybe I''ve mis-judged it then :D IMO it feels like the younger bears who are more inclined to be on social media etc. who are more demanding and want things instantly.

No, it isn't the younger fans.

I've been sitting in Ibrox for pushing 50 years and the place has always been packed with moany bastards who expect instant success and wins every week. LOL :D
:D:D

But are therolder yins really the ones writing off the likes of Pena, Hererra etc. ?? Surely the older yins have been around long enough to know that it can take some players time to get going - see McCoist as a perfect example.

I'm 57. I've lived through 2 wilderness periods, excluding this one. I don't want them doing 10. There are those that say that 10 is unimportant, but having lived through their nine, when they reach 8, things will be unbearable.
Also ive seen so many false dawns and mistakes, they are now recognisable at a very early stage.

Last edited:
The general mood of the fans and certainly this forum is dictated by the last result.

The last game was a draw so it's doom and gloom whereas we made equally if not more errors in the last 2 games but we won so nobody bothers.

Fans judge players on 20 snippets here and there whereas a scout for a top club will go and watch a player play a full 90 minutes 4-5 times before making a conclusion on him - the hysteria around some of the new guys just can't be taken seriously when you remind yourself of that.

I always thought it was the Souness and beyond supporters who knew nothing but success who were doing the moaning. The one good thing the John Greig years taught me was patience. It makes you enjoy the success all the more when it comes

I always thought it was the Souness and beyond supporters who knew nothing but success who were doing the moaning. The one good thing the John Greig years taught me was patience. It makes you enjoy the success all the more when it comes

This. Friday's draw could easily have been a win. We played well, but for a couple of individual errors. Contrast with JG's rein. Or Ally's.

The position we are currently in is unprecedented.
Every Rangers fan will have opinions good or bad, however the timescale of recovery is the bugbear of most I know. Therefore the players are the focus and must be 8/9 out of ten every game.
Patience is the winner, however the threat of 10 makes social media hysterical for some.

Even back with the laudrups, de boers, gazza etc people still loved a wee moan about anything. Nowadays I hear older supporters moaning about a 4-1 win because we conceded. Seems it's just a way of life for some people, just makes me cheers the team on a little louder when I hear these things though!

I understand that it won't be fixed overnight,or in one transfer window. However,I'd like to see us progress a little faster than we have being doing. I'm still of the opinion that Pedro is unlikely to be the man.

Nah it's definitely the older ones who are accustomed to success that struggle with the current situation.

I'm in the middle somewhere.

I struggle to think of any era, even our best, when we horsed every team in front of us, when we were brilliant every single week, when no player had an off day, when referees got everything right and the manager never got selection or tactics wrong.

Why do we expect this now? I suspect the instant gratification generation has a bigger say in this mindset than old codgers like me, who at one time had to save up for a holiday rather than just hit the credit card.

It's the old conundrum of short term pleasure followed by "I wish I hadn't done that"

I'm 47 and really don't feel it's either impatience or knee-jerkery to suggest if he loses at the weekend that's probably that as far as Pedro is concerned.

That's viewed over his whole stint - the 5-1 mauling last season, the 2 going on 4 beating at Hampden that immediately preceded it, the crazy tactics and substitutions, and that's even before you get to this season and the Progres debacle.

Then you have a fitful start to the league campaign despite spending a relatively huge amount boosting the squad, most of whom, if we're being perfectly honest, have failed to make much of an impression.

So it's really not immaturity alone that leads me to feel it's not really happening under this guy and probably never will.

His one chance to breed confidence, both in himself and the team he's built, is to get a decent result this weekend.

If he does that, he buys himself time and some goodwill.

If not, well, it's probably curtains .

But are therolder yins really the ones writing off the likes of Pena, Hererra etc. ?? Surely the older yins have been around long enough to know that it can take some players time to get going - see McCoist as a perfect example.

I remember standing in the EE during a league match in 1972, and the guy behind me was screaming and bawling at Colin Stein.

I'll quote the guy here, "See you, Stein, all you do is score goals" As if that wasn't enough LOL :D

If I dare to group the ages

Mid teens and younger - have plenty of patience and dare I say might think that rangers not winning or competing in European competition is the norm.

20's - have a degree of patience

30's - less so, but still have a little patience

40's - next to no patience

50's plus - are dinosaurs and have zero patience (I mean that in the nicest possible way :p )

Last edited:

Also Hately, your legendary avatar and many more what rips my knitting is we are a few games into the season. Ive watched Rangers teams hystorically crawl out of the blocks then roar down the home straight. I'm not saying that's what this team will do but surely it's worth trying something different that just might come good and hold us in good stead for a few years to come. We are trying a modern approach from DOF right through to juniors level at the club. You don't strangle infants at birth unless you're a sick khunt. This ideal the club are fostering needs nurture and encouragement not a jackboot on its neck every time a result doesn't go our way. We have to go with what we've got at least till the end of the season then we can properly evaluate what or who has worked or hasn't whatever the case may be.

I'm in my late 50's and have lived and watched though several barren periods. I started going to the games in 1967 so know what its like to suffer. I would suggest it is a mixed bag as it can be any generation that spits the dummy when things aren't going well.

There was a breed of supporter that started going through the Souness era that still moaned so there has always been a group with no patience and age means nothing its just the way they are.

When I was young and times were bad my much older brother used to always say 'They'll come again' and do you know, he was right.

Pesky Kids:mad:

Afraid not OP. I'm a greybeard and could crush a grape listening to some of the nonsense from my contemporaries.

Do you teally think we played well?
In 1st half spells, but clearly not well enough over 90mins, Alex :(. But so much better to watch than the early 80s, when we needed super-sub (John MacDonald) to save us. Or the tin-man! At least that was against top teams. Ally's time in the lower leagues was almost beyond spectating endurance.

With some of the hysterical posts in recent times with regard to almost completely writing off certain players/manager after a couple of substitute appearance etc. - is this a young person's thing in today's fast paced/opinionated social media/internet/forum world ??

Without going off tangent it seems that many young people can't accept some outcomes of democracy and bang out a about it being 'not fair' and all that stuff. They then demand things and demand them quickly - without wanting time for explanation they just want change and their opinion to count of else they throw a hissy fit.

So - the bears writing off the likes of Pena, Hererra, Dalcio, maybe Pedro etc. - are they younger types, say under 30 ??

Or is it not an age thing and as humans we are are all just getting sucked up in the pressures of life and want instant results in everything ? Either way, it makes me uncomfortable, the pace at which writing things/people off is happening.

You wanted Kiernan to captain Rangers last year

You thought Kyle Hutton would play for Man United.

You want me to go on?

Considering what has happened to us this last decade or so (and earlier perhaps) but especially the last 5 years we have been incredibly patient but people are getting sick of the excuses for not being a clear 2nd and playing well. No-one expects the title but we're still a bit of a shapeless mess and generally alienated from board despite their promises of openness and transparency. We have NO excuses for not being much better than Aberdeen, Hearts and Hibs etc. Sorry, but we don't.

The lack of patience shown by majority is down to the fact if we keep failing, then they'll make 10IAR.

That's why instant success is demanded. If that fails, instant change. Repeat repeat repeat...

Nah, it's across all age ranges within the support. It's not a surprise there is a bit of frustration.

Nah, it's across all age ranges within the support. It's not a surprise there is a bit of frustration.
Agreed.

Expect to win title? Nope.
"Can't expect to beat Aberdeen...they've some squad man...". Nope, sorry...not for me either.

Considering what has happened to us this last decade or so (and earlier perhaps) but especially the last 5 years we have been incredibly patient but people are getting sick of the excuses for not being a clear 2nd and playing well. No-one expects the title but we're still a bit of a shapeless mess and generally alienated from board despite their promises of openness and transparency. We have NO excuses for not being much better than Aberdeen, Hearts and Hibs etc. Sorry, but we don't.
That's fair enough but I think we need to try and put the last 5 years to the back of our collective minds. Apparently that's what happens when you are traumatised lol. Now if we could do that would you perhaps even slightly agree the start of the season has not been Armageddon considering all relevant factors new players foreign players new system foreign coach complete overhaul of structure of club not a lot of that magic ingredient of luck etc. We are a couple of games off being top of the league potential to make a semi tomorrow night. Yes I'm completely aware by 10 pm the lights could well and truly have been put out but hey lets go with things ain't that bad afterall for at least another 18 hours or so whatdya say

Rangers fans have always been very demanding of success in my lifetime.

When I started going to games as a kid in the early eighties, Ibrox was half empty for most games due to a lack of any sort of title challenge so it's certainly nothing new.

If anything the support now is incredibly patient and loyal in relative terms.

Mid teens and younger - have plenty of patience and dare I say might think that rangers not winning or competing in European competition is the norm.

50's plus - are spoilt dinosaurs and have zero patience (I mean that in the nicest possible way :p )

50s+ are spoilt????????
50s+ have experienced more pain than any of your other groupings. Their 9iar, 1967, their other final against Feyenoord, losing to Berwick in 67. ( a worse result than Progres, as that team got to a Euro final months later.)
And I can't leave out our darkest hour, which puts football into perspective.

It's the writing off of players so quickly when they have barely kicked a ball that seems to have escalated.

There are many simply writing off Pena, Hererra, Dalcio etc. Candeias was also written off after a couple of games. If these guys had played half a season or more then maybe fair enough - but Pena for example hasn't started one game or played a full half ! Yet people are hoping he's moved on in January !! :eek:

No not at all I have no patience and am an older bear I think younger supporters do not adhere to the same standards as they have been lowered so much over the years.
Scottish Football standard has dropped considerably over the years and seems to get poorer year on year.

50s+ are spoilt????????
50s+ have experienced more pain than any of your other groupings. Their 9iar, 1967, their other final against Feyenoord, losing to Berwick in 67. ( a worse result than Progres, as that team got to a Euro final months later.)
And I can't leave out our darkest hour, which puts football into perspective.

Spoilt being the wrong term, so I take that back. Just dinosaurs. :D

Most people I know understand this was never going to be a quick fix, but yes, there are plenty of bears of all ages who love a moan regardless. Joys of having such a large fans base is that opinions will differentiate quite dramatically. I guess people are frustrated because as we are a work in progress, those bastards across the city are at the strongest they've been in many years. We have a media hell bent on trying to get tore into us and some of our fans are lured in by their pish.

I'm an old fart (37) and Rangers have been the dominant force most my life time. I'm patient and waiting for the pendulum to swing back.

Reactions: TN8
Im 41 so I remember things before the souness revolution. As far as I can remember there's always been a set of hypercritical supporters. who are never happy regardless of how good or bad things are going.

50's plus - are dinosaurs and have zero patience (I mean that in the nicest possible way :p )
I'm over sixty and not once have I said anything bad about players iv'e got plenty of patience i'm glad iv'e still got a club to support I just let the moaners moan this place stinks really pisses me off some of the things said about players and manager the board

I'm just a pup (In my mind) There is a definite feel about this board now that success is something you can get in an instant and that I believe comes from the Souness babies who were brought up on success and tanking mentally challengeds.
What needs to be factored into the equation is the other teams and with us so far this season being on the wrong end of some very dodgy decisions.
If I was to write this before we were dumped down the divisions I would be the first calling for the head of Pedro and sticking pins into an effigy of Pena but I have had a dose of realisation and as long as I can see us improving I will resist the temptation to slag off all and sundry.

"FFS, GET IT UP THE PARK!" comes almost exclusively from the older generation.

I'm 25 and I thought it was an older generation thing! I assumed it was old geezers who still couldn't accept we aren't the same force we were twenty years ago

Same here. The people who always come out with 'We're Rangers!', as if that means anything or gives us a divine right to win stuff.

It's 100% the older supporters in my section in CR2 that are the worst.

Some even look pi$$ed off when we score if it doesn't suit a rant and don't seem to know much about football in all honesty.

A spoiled generation when it comes to Rangers success.

The younger guys just want to support the team around me anyway.

Back