Celtic face threat of multimillion pound compensation claim(The Times)

I wouldnt have a clue where to begin but the majority of appeals i have read(eg the Guthrie case i posted above and Carloway was on that panel) by sex offenders upheld by this man is worrying.

Sorry mate, mixed signals.

I was talking about Guthries father.

Carloway, much like the rest of these Lords , wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them.

Is there a chance that it will once again be delayed or does it have to go ahead.

It's beyond a joke. Delays, lost evidence, lenient sentences not to mention the medias lack of reporting on certain matters.

Our country has been poisoned and is now beyond recognition. I find it hard to relate to what was once a proud nation.

June 6th is a case management hearing and these will probably be frequent. A check-in really to make sure that the cases aren’t aimlessly drifting.
It’s likely that both sides will say what they are working on (evidence/pleadings) and then another date will be set for a few months time.

June 6th is a case management hearing and these will probably be frequent. A check-in really to make sure that the cases aren’t aimlessly drifting.
It’s likely that both sides will say what they are working on (evidence/pleadings) and then another date will be set for a few months time.
Surely Thompsons should be fully prepared.

The evidence is there ..plain as day that they are guilty.
No more delays..this has gone on long enough and the victims require proper justice to be served on that moralless bastard club

Of all the crimes in the world to commit - sexual abuse against minors must be/is the most demonic, inhumane of them all.

And I wouldn't be surprised to discover sometime in the future that their club was actually founded with that very (paedophile) intend in mind.

Wherever the marist brothers establish; Europe, USA even Australia, they are the most sexually deviant of all the kafflik institutes. And as their organisation has proven over many, many centuries, the kafflik hierarchy as well as their ordinary members, continuously allow it to manifest.

As a lesson to all British established paedophile institutes, cfc should be disbanded.

Last edited:
Whenever anyone brings this horror stuff up to any of them it's said to be point scoring. That's how sick these fuckers think.
As long as the club continue to deny and deflect then their apologist support will continue to do the same.
Even going to the level of online abuse towards survivors and families.
A disgusting club with a support like no other.

I fear that the obvious delaying tactic will succeed. the plan is to wait until all perverts are either dead or (pretending to be) too unwell to plead. Then the old 'not in the public interest' chestnut will be rolled out, and they will have got away with it.

Hopefully there is a higher court where they cannot avoid justice - hell still has plenty of room for them.

They should be closed down. There is no place in society for them.
They are being defended by the powers that be , the Government, Police Scotland, the Journalists & media in this country the Justice system the SPFL & the SFA where else in the world would a full blown pedophile ring Operate at one of the countries biggest sporting institution's & nothing being said publicly even when known employees of that institution have been found guilty in a court of law , when we have judges like Carloway it's a Haven for perverts , Welcome to Scotland the most lenient country in the world on child abuse , more interested in pardoning witches than prosecuting perverts .

Whilst I completely understand the comments about the sentences and leniency handed towards peadophiles in this country. Let’s not forget that many of the victims and those working on the case do visit this thread and seeing negative/defeatist comments may not be good reading for them.

I’m confident in the work that spotlight, thomsons and many others are doing and that justice will prevail.

They are being defended by the powers that be , the Government, Police Scotland, the Journalists & media in this country the Justice system the SPFL & the SFA where else in the world would a full blown pedophile ring Operate at one of the countries biggest sporting institution's & nothing being said publicly even when known employees of that institution have been found guilty in a court of law , when we have judges like Carloway it's a Haven for perverts , Welcome to Scotland the most lenient country in the world on child abuse , more interested in pardoning witches than prosecuting perverts .
Well said but when is enough enough. This really is becoming so farcical it is making me feel sick.

Another large payout to a victim of abuse. While it in no way compensates for the appalling trauma, the award can hopefully help rebuild a life.

It also vastly exceeds the Scottish Government’s woefully inadequate redress award which would range from £10,000 up to £100,000 whilst signing away any future action and drawing a convenient line under the abuse.

I fear that the obvious delaying tactic will succeed. the plan is to wait until all perverts are either dead or (pretending to be) too unwell to plead. Then the old 'not in the public interest' chestnut will be rolled out, and they will have got away with it.

Hopefully there is a higher court where they cannot avoid justice - hell still has plenty of room for them.
The class action is against Celtic Football Club
Not individuals .

Former chief executives of the Scottish FA have called for an inquiry into claims that a paedophile referee was “one of the most prolific sex offenders Scotland has ever known”.

Hugh Stevenson officiated at a number of international matches, was a registered referee for 19 years until 1983 and coached youth teams throughout central Scotland for decades.

Police were informed on at least two occasions that he was abusing boys but Stevenson was allowed to keep working with young players up until his death, aged 66, in 2004.

One survivor, Pete Haynes, 56, claimed that Stevenson forged a close friendship with another paedophile, a school football coach, and had free rein to walk the corridors and enter changing rooms.

He is demanding that Police Scotland start a posthumous investigation into the man he believes was a “serial child rapist” as he appealed for other survivors to come forward.

“Nothing can be done about the horrendous abuse that I suffered, but I want answers from the police about what they knew about Hugh Stevenson and why nothing was done,”

Haynes said. “I am convinced Stevenson was one of the most prolific sex offenders Scotland has ever known.”

He is being backed by Gordon Smith, the former Rangers forward and SFA chief executive, who said: “Who knows how many other kids suffered at the hands of Stevenson? A bigger investigation is needed to help those who have suffered for many, many years.”

Stewart Regan, another former chief executive, who offered a personal apology to Haynes, added: “I would support a police investigation that would shed light on exactly what happened to Pete and others who came into contact with Hugh Stevenson.”

Strathclyde police investigated Stevenson in 1993 and 1996 and submitted reports to the Crown Office, but no charges were brought. Police Scotland said it took all such reports seriously.

*Football referee Hugh Stevenson’s abuse victims want the truth*
Pete Haynes will never forget the day his life changed for ever. It was May 12, 1979, the day before his 13th birthday, and he was a VIP guest at the Scottish Cup final between Rangers and Hibernian.

“I was taken through the cordons and ushered into Hampden Park through the main gates,” he recalls. “I was seeing all my heroes and it was the biggest day of my life.”

The man who had made his dreams come true was Hugh Stevenson, a high-level referee and youth coach, who had officiated a home international fixture between England and Wales at Wembley two years earlier. Charming and adorned in a Scottish FA blazer, he had little trouble convincing the parents of this promising young player that he deserved a trip to the national stadium.

“That day turned into 43 years of pain,” Haynes, now 56, said. “I was groomed within the home of Scottish football.”

Immediately after the game Stevenson abused him. “When we were driving home he asked me to start changing the gears,” Haynes said. “He then unzipped my trousers and started to touch me.”

They are manoeuvres chillingly familiar to Stuart McMillan, 60, a retired prison officer, who has also waived his right to anonymity to accuse Stevenson of abuse.

Aged 17 he was assaulted by Stevenson months later after being given beer at a Masonic hall near Ferguslie Park, Paisley, following a friendly match between Lanarkshire and Renfrewshire referees.

“He offered me a lift home and said he could show me a way to get rid of a hangover,” he said. “Stevenson told me to undo the top button of my trousers, asked me to change the gears for him and then put his hand where it should not have been.”

Haynes, who lived in the same Paisley street as Stevenson, suffered horrific abuse over four years.

“I was raped dozens of times,” he said. “My dad would send me out to fetch a pint of milk and Stevenson would manage to find me.

Two hours later I’d be standing there bleeding, unable to explain to my family what had happened. For years I lived in fear that I had HIV.”

Now living in Fife and a father himself he is convinced Stevenson was a serial rapist. “I used to see boys going in and out of his house constantly,” he said.

“They’d come out looking how I felt the day that the abuse started.
They were traumatised.” Stevenson was associated with several clubs, including Ferguslie United and Eastercraigs Boys Club, right up until his death, aged 66, in 2004.

“In almost every game I played in, whether it was with school or a boys’ club, Stevenson would be there,” Haynes said. “He used to drive a yellow Austin Allegro, or a brown Mini, and would always offer a boy a lift home.

“Stevenson had unfettered access to thousands of boys for decades. He would take them away on trips to England and the continent.”

Haynes believes Stevenson worked with at least one other paedophile. “Weeks before he abused me the janitor at my school, who was also the football coach, and is also now dead, asked me to take my trousers down so I could see if I had reached puberty,” he said.

“He had coaching badges and he and Stevenson were very close. Their friendship meant Stevenson could wander around a primary school and a high school in Paisley at will.”

In 1993 Haynes reported his abuse to Strathclyde police and the Scottish FA. Stevenson was questioned but released without charge and continued to work with young footballers for many years.

In 1993 Haynes reported his abuse to Strathclyde police and the Scottish FA. Stevenson was questioned but released without charge and continued to work with young footballers for many years.

Jim Farry, then Scottish FA chief executive, now deceased, told Haynes he was “aware of Stevenson” but he could do nothing as he was no longer employed by the association.

By way of apology Haynes was offered a tour of Scottish Football Association’s hall of fame, then located at Park Gardens in Glasgow’s West End.

Haynes wants the police, whom he approached again in 2016, to launch a full posthumous investigation. “Had I killed Stevenson I would have been out of jail years ago, but without getting any form of justice I am effectively serving a life sentence,” he said.

“I believe he was a serial child rapist and the number of crimes he carried out was vast.” McMillan also wants to see the full extent of Stevenson’s abuse to be laid bare. “I have absolutely no doubt that he was abusing many other boys,” he said. “It is time for the truth to come out.”

*Behind the story*
Scottish football clubs including Celtic, Rangers and Hibernian apologised after an independent report revealed the scale of sexual abuse within the national game.

Dozens of survivors came forward to give evidence against paedophiles who targeted young players over three decades.

The findings were published last year in a review commissioned by the Scottish FA. The authors were shocked by how easy it was for predators to use their “good standing” to infiltrate the sport and gain unfettered access to children, who had little or no support from those tasked with protecting them.

The review found that former senior figures at Celtic FC were likely to have been aware that abuse was taking place within its feeder club but failed to alert authorities.

It suggested that senior clubs could not distance themselves from affiliated boys’ clubs. It also disclosed that known paedophiles worked together to groom boys and trafficked them over UK and international borders for abuse.

Ian Maxwell, chief executive of the Scottish FA, said the report left him “deeply upset”.
Who is this guy Stevenson? Was he a top ref?

I was going to Rangers games in the 70s and don't remember a ref called Stevenson. Maybe he had stopped refereeing by then?

Whilst I completely understand the comments about the sentences and leniency handed towards peadophiles in this country. Let’s not forget that many of the victims and those working on the case do visit this thread and seeing negative/defeatist comments may not be good reading for them.

I’m confident in the work that spotlight, thomsons and many others are doing and that justice will prevail.
Apologies to all if offended my point being that so many involved in the cover up it's a disgrace , again I apologise if I have offended anyone .

And I wouldn't be surprised to discover sometime in the future that their club was actually founded with that very (paedophile) intend in mind.

Wherever the marist brothers establish; Europe, USA even Australia, they are the most sexually deviant of all the kafflik institutes. And as their organisation has proven over many, many centuries, the kafflik hierarchy as well as their ordinary members, continuously allow it to manifest.
A question that needs to be asked.

How much of it was already in place when Torbett first slithered into the place.

Torbett wasn't 'Celtic Minded', so I can't get me head round why he was given free reign to set up a bhoys club

A question that needs to be asked.

How much of it was already in place when Torbett first slithered into the place.

Torbett wasn't 'Celtic Minded', so I can't get me head round why he was given free reign to set up a bhoys club
Indeed. The notion that a 19 year old was simply allowed free rein to set up a boys club using Celtic’s name is simply not credible. Especially when you consider that the chairman at the time had total control over every aspect of that football club.

Indeed. The notion that a 19 year old was simply allowed free rein to set up a boys club using Celtic’s name is simply not credible. Especially when you consider that the chairman at the time had total control over every aspect of that football club.
I think it’s plainly obvious that he was a placement. The Catholic clergy we also think played a major role in this.
I know you’ll agree that there is no doubt this had been going on since they landed on our shores. Proving it is it different matter though.

Last edited:
I think it’s plainly obvious that he was a placement. The Catholic clergy we also think played a major roll in this.
I know you’ll agree that there is no doubt this had been going on since they landed on our shores. Proving it is it different matter though.
They is no doubt in my mind. The number of lives ruined by this sinister cult doesn’t bare to think about.

And the victims that have come forward are so brave and barely scratches the surface.

And it’s why I have no time for anyone that supports this football club. By supporting the club they vindicate their past and current actions.

Jim McCafferty sentence: Legal action over child abuse is imminent, Celtic warned
Marc Horne
May 16 2019, 12:01am, The Times
Celtic has expressed sympathy for the victims but insisted that the boys club is a separate organisationTIMES PHOTOGRAPHER JAMES GLOSSOP
Celtic FC will face a multimillion pound compensation claim “within months” unless it accepts responsibility for the paedophiles who preyed on young players, a senior lawyer has said.
The warning from Patrick McGuire, who has represented some of the victims, comes after Jim McCafferty, 73, a former club kitman and Celtic Boys Club coach, was jailed for six years and nine months after admitting that he had molested boys over 24 years.
Jim McCaffertyPOLICE SCOTLAND
The jail sentence is the third to be handed down to former Celtic Boys Club staff after Jim Torbett, 71, its founder, and Frank Cairney, 83, a coach, were imprisoned for sexually assaulting youngsters.
Gerard Kind, 66, the former chairman of the boys’ club, was convicted of abusing four boys and a girl …
T
Jim McCafferty sentence: Legal action over child abuse is imminent, Celtic warned
Marc Horne
May 16 2019, 12:01am, The Times
Celtic has expressed sympathy for the victims but insisted that the boys club is a separate organisationTIMES PHOTOGRAPHER JAMES GLOSSOP
Celtic FC will face a multimillion pound compensation claim “within months” unless it accepts responsibility for the paedophiles who preyed on young players, a senior lawyer has said.
The warning from Patrick McGuire, who has represented some of the victims, comes after Jim McCafferty, 73, a former club kitman and Celtic Boys Club coach, was jailed for six years and nine months after admitting that he had molested boys over 24 years.
Jim McCaffertyPOLICE SCOTLAND
The jail sentence is the third to be handed down to former Celtic Boys Club staff after Jim Torbett, 71, its founder, and Frank Cairney, 83, a coach, were imprisoned for sexually assaulting youngsters.
Gerard Kind, 66, the former chairman of the boys’ club, was convicted of abusing four boys and a girl…
I really think celtic fc should get hammered for this and its not just because its celtic any club that young chilren are part of should feel secure and watcheded out at this sort of thing but as usaul the children have been let down again i cant even to imagaine what kind of distress this taken toll on the minds on theese kids a hope celtic fc get hit hard in the pockets if it was Rangers i would be saying the same if not worse as you wouldnt like ur club to be linked to a case like this hope they get hammered were there pockets hurts and given to the victims...

I think it’s plainly obvious that he was a placement. The Catholic clergy we also think played a major roll in this.
Catholic Church are the biggest paedophile ring in the world. It's definitely been going on since their inception.

So were priest visiting the parents of boys persuading them not to complain to authorities at the time the abuse was happening?

So were priest visiting the parents of boys persuading them not to complain to authorities at the time the abuse was happening?
Take a look at this article from The Guardian from 2013. Priests have a history of doing this.
It features the priest who officiated at Burns' funeral - Bishop Joseph Devine.

“ Pat McEwan says he fell prey to a paedophile ring of priests. His main abuser, his parish priest, encouraged Pat to visit him.

The priest arranged for Pat's devout mother to visit Carfin Grotto, leaving Pat with a priest friend of his. Pat remembers watching through the window while his mother disappeared into the grotto.

As soon as she did, the priest turned to him. ‘ I want you to do for me what you have done for your parish priest,’ he said. Then he raped him.

Afterwards, he tried to quieten the child's tears before his mother returned. ‘God doesn't like boys who cry. Be a soldier of Christ.’

Cameron Fyfe is a Scottish lawyer who has dealt with more than 1,000 Scottish cases of abuse by the Catholic church.

He said, ‘Not one person has come out unharmed. Every one has had their life smashed. Pat is no different. He became an alcoholic, though he has now been sober for 18 months.’

Pat enlisted the support of Alan Draper, a child-protection expert who had worked for the church in the mid-90s. Draper had left, unhappy with the bishops' persistent refusal to take appropriate action.

He accompanied Pat to a meeting with Bishop Joseph Devine of Motherwell. In their accounts both Pat and Draper say that the bishop's solution to the horrifying tale was simple. ‘Pat, he's an old man,’ he said. ‘Please let him away with it.’ "

Priests were definitely involved with the club from day one as you’ll see below, and Spotlight were successful in uncovering the beast Father Michael Spencer who had links to the club. We strongly believe he’s not the only one.

Last edited:
Typically this behaviour is rife in parishes throughout the land, a tsunami of victims at the hands of degenerate deviants protected by the church. Even when exposed the denials and deflection is sickening and alarming.
A worldwide problem within this cult of an organisation.

Sounds confusing to me, especially where it says about time restraints on certain stuff.
This part may have an effect on some guys.

Lord Arthurson spoke of how the court may have to decide whether some of the actions have been brought to court within legal time limits. Abuse of some of the ex players took place in the 1970s and 1980s.

Can someone explain in normal terms how this works for dunce’s like me and the effect on the case

Sounds confusing to me, especially where it says about time restraints on certain stuff.
This part may have an effect on some guys.

Lord Arthurson spoke of how the court may have to decide whether some of the actions have been brought to court within legal time limits. Abuse of some of the ex players took place in the 1970s and 1980s.

Can someone explain in normal terms how this works for dunce’s like me and the effect on the case
Scotland has passed the limitation (Childhood Abuse) (Scotland) Act 2017 which has abolished in child abuse cases the previous three year time limit for lodging a claim with the court.

The Limitation (Childhood Abuse) (Scotland) Act 2017 will apply to civil legal actions for damages resulting from child abuse, including in non-institutional settings, since 26 September 1964.

Apparently it has not been possible to establish different limitation periods in cases where abuse occurred before this date.

Scotland has passed the limitation (Childhood Abuse) (Scotland) Act 2017 which has abolished in child abuse cases the previous three year time limit for lodging a claim with the court.

The Limitation (Childhood Abuse) (Scotland) Act 2017 will apply to civil legal actions for damages resulting from child abuse, including in non-institutional settings, since 26 September 1964.

Apparently it has not been possible to establish different limitation periods in cases where abuse occurred before this date.
Thanks @BN94 apologies if it took you away from more import things on this day. It was just a bit confusing on reading that part of story and not knowing the law

Back