Still find it bizarre English sides not coming in for Morelos

I would expect a bid from England this summer if he doesn't sign a new deal.

It took 2 years of working under Gerrard for Morelos to mature his game. Following that COVID had an impact on finances at the clubs that would likely have taken a punt on him.

A factor often overlooked is his lack of pace. It's just my opinion, but teams in England all look for pace in the final third.
I think you last paragraph nails it. It’ll be the same for all the top leagues.

It’s rare to see him out pace a defender…bullying them, no bother. Running away from them is a different matter.

Not complaining though.:)

I'm a Morelos fan, but he's not a clinical finisher and would find it harder to bully central defenders down there. Scotland is the perfect place for him.

Would rather he stays here anyway. He will achieve more at Rangers than he would somewhere like liecester or wolves. Can see him being with us for a few more years to come.

I like Morelos but I'm not convinced he would be a success in the EPL.

11-12 goals in the SPL for 3 seasons in a row isn't much for an EPL team to get excited about when they would be wanting him to score that amount if not more in a much better league.

I think for a EPL team to be looking at a striker up here they need to be scoring 20+ and/or be young with the potential to greatly improve. At 26 I'm not convinced there's a huge step up left for Morelos.

The fact that he's relatively short for a modern Striker (5'10) without much pace I think will also play against him.

I think Rangers is pretty much his level.

He's a proven goalscorer in Europe and is overlooked for some absolute obscure shite, bizarre, but I'm glad as I don't want him to ever leave :shh:

People thinking the europa league is a better level than the epl are kidding themselves on
Aye the likes of West Ham would scud Eintracht Frankfurt. We were proud of beating Borussia Dortmund, but could you ever imagine Man Utd £73m on a Dortmund player.

Fair enough the earlier rounds maybe aren't at EPL standard, but I'd say from the quarters onwards it's a similar standard.

Not really.

There has been zero interest reported from EPL clubs. Even as he enters the last 12 months of his deal and is available for chicken feed, still no interest.

He is not at that level.
Yeah mate you’ve nailed it mate. He’s not EPL level, we just can’t claim that Morelos is up there with mercurial talents like Che Adams, Chris Wood and Daniel James.

Would you swap him for Chris Wood? Solanke? Ollie Watkins or Maupay?

McBurnie and Burke have played up top in the fabulous EPL and went for big money. Are they better?
I'd swap him for Ollie Watkins I'm a heart beat, yes.

McBurnie and Burke have demonstrated they are not EPL standard...hence they don't play in the EPL anymore.

Just comes down to English arrogance to me

Fans outside the top 6 think they are far superior to what they actually are

Rangers and Alfie would bully English teams outside the top 6
It’s why I’m happy Madrid beat Liverpool in the CL final. And why their repeated failure at international level pleases me. I won’t say that it’s because I like to see them humbled because you can’t humble arrogance of that magnitude. But it’s just nice to see them puzzled any time a Premier League side (or the international team) loses to some daft wee foreign side who aren’t gracing the greatest league that ever was.

Leeds are going to have money to burn soon and are desperately needing new strikers.
Have already said Alfie would be great for Leeds, they create chances but only have Bamford ( injured most of last season ) as a natural striker. Still hope he stays with us though.

He's just not at EPL level.
i would agree he wouldn't do well in the EPL. he needs to be the main man and i dont think he would be down there. i dont think he could handle being a squad player. he needs to play every week to be sharp. head would go down

How’s Edouard’s international stats looking?
Okay i’ll bite, his under 21 france record is pretty good. Don’t know why you are bringing him into this either.

If you want to compare them… Buff 146 games and 67 goals while Edouard at the mentally challengeds was 94 games and 57 goals.

It’s why I’m happy Madrid beat Liverpool in the CL final. And why their repeated failure at international level pleases me. I won’t say that it’s because I like to see them humbled because you can’t humble arrogance of that magnitude. But it’s just nice to see them puzzled any time a Premier League side (or the international team) loses to some daft wee foreign side who aren’t gracing the greatest league that ever was.
Going into the last rounds of the Europa, CL and conference all the English pundits thought it would be a clean sweep for them including all English CL final. They got one team in a final and they were beat. At least we didn't lose in 90 mins or ET. West Ham were outplayed by a team who were 50/50 v us and we had our 2 top strikers missing. Real Madrid KOd, Chelsea, Man C and liverpool - the top 3 clubs in the EPL.

Okay i’ll bite, his under 21 france record is pretty good. Don’t know why you are bringing him into this either.

If you want to compare them… Buff 146 games and 67 goals while Edouard at the mentally challengeds was 94 games and 57 goals.
While I agree that Morelos isn’t the best finisher his all around play is much better. He would be a great lone striker for EPL teams who need a guy to hold up and bring others into play

Mental eh! But yeah someone (I won’t name names, for any less than a fiver), rather than giving it “yeeeeeeeeeeessss goal” like normal fans, gave it “unconvincing finish, but I’ll take it”.

Can’t remember who the goal was against now. @Main Stand might remember because we had a right laugh at it.
I might tease my son’s football team with it when their season starts up again… that kind of patter will send 11yr olds round the twist if you discredit their goal :D

Well I’ll enlighten you. I’m bringing him into it because he went to the EPL for big money.

Oh his under 21 record? Thanks for that, that’s really impressive, said no one ever. And those are cracking goal stats, how many penalties have each of them scored? Give us a comparison of their European exploits too while you’re at it. Add to that, when you compare goals and games are accounting for the fact Morelos had to play under Pedro and Murty? For Edouard walk into a team in that state or did he join a side winning the league at a canter every year?

Last edited:
It's a difficult one to to comprehend but ultimately no-one on here knows for sure what formal interest there is in any of our players at any given time. I suspect only a handful make it through the cracks to the media before it becomes public.

That said... disciplinary issues, lack of goalscoring consistency domestically, international record and the fact he plays in the SPL are probably some of the reasons teams down South wouldn't take the risk with him.

Yeah mate you’ve nailed it mate. He’s not EPL level, we just can’t claim that Morelos is up there with mercurial talents like Che Adams, Chris Wood and Daniel James.
All of whom are widely regarded as not being good enough ffs. Well done.

Saying some one might be able to scrape a game for a crap EPL team does not make them of that level.

The tramps are going to be playing champions league football next season and will get scudded by 3 or 4 every game. Are they a champions league level club. No they aren't.

Yeah I remember when Boyd was free scoring and we had to fend off all those Premier League sides.
Boydy never,ever had Alfies all round game though.
Im just saying if anyone is looking for an top goal scorer,then Alfie won’t
be of interest to them.

Am I alone? Do we overate him ? Is he not suited to English (Prem or championship?

Looking at the long line of strikes English clubs have forked out for (and from clubs / countries not that glamourous / high level, I just find it strange that English clubs haven’t taken a (perhaps gamble?) on him,

Has edouard struggling at palace cast a shadow over forward players moving from SPL? Or simply his goal scoring record / perceived behaviour/ bookings in domestic league taking away from his stats in Europa?
Fk knows what is putting them off but LONG may it continue imo

Alfie-Knee-Slide.gif

Just love his staying put celebration.

Every year we have the same chat about him leaving and still he's here. I think he's going up another level this season under Gio. Wish they'd just hurry up and give him his deal and we can knock threads like this on the head.

Broja is away for 20 mil in the prem.

Decent striker, works hard, but tbh, couldn't lace Morelos' boots.
You are seriously joking mate surely, I am not against Morelos at all, he is exceptional in the SPL, I also read people criticising Chris Wood, just how many goals do you think either Wood or Broja would score in Scotland pal, there are levels.

You are seriously joking mate surely, I am not against Morelos at all, he is exceptional in the SPL, I also read people criticising Chris Wood, just how many goals do you think either Wood or Broja would score in Scotland pal, there are levels.

Yeah, I'm sure Chris Wood is scoring the shot Morelos scored against Porto.

He wouldn't even acknowledge it was a chance in the first place.

Well I’ll enlighten you. I’m bringing him into it because he went to the EPL for big money.

Oh his under 21 record? Thanks for that, that’s really impressive, said no one ever. And those are cracking goal stats, how many penalties have each of them scored? Give us a comparison of their European exploits too while you’re at it. Add to that, when you compare goals and games are accounting for the fact Morelos had to play under Pedro and Murty? For Edouard walk into a team in that state or did he join a side winning the league at a canter every year?

Penalty or open play, they are paid to score goals being a striker. £14million isn’t big money for England either.

In Europe:
AM - 57 games 29 goals
OE - 42 games 15 goals

They are both different types of player, Edouard scored continually throughout the season. Buff goes off the boil far to much and goes periods without scoring quite occasionally.

Am I alone? Do we overate him ? Is he not suited to English (Prem or championship?

Looking at the long line of strikes English clubs have forked out for (and from clubs / countries not that glamourous / high level, I just find it strange that English clubs haven’t taken a (perhaps gamble?) on him,

Has edouard struggling at palace cast a shadow over forward players moving from SPL? Or simply his goal scoring record / perceived behaviour/ bookings in domestic league taking away from his stats in Europa?
He's probably still got a bit of a bad reputation given the hysteria over him when he came here. To be clear he behaves impeccably these days and has clearly grown up a lot but people still talk about him as if he is some sort of prima donna which he clearly isn't.

You look at every season he has had at us and he goes long gaps where he does not score, scouts and managers, notice that.
I think most managers and scouts are looking for more athletic players with pace to burn.
Our time to sell was two seasons ago when he was at his best.

If he was as good as most supporters thought he would have been away 20 million is nothing for the English leagues.
You could apply that to every one of our players.
A side that just reached the Europa League final, that were 20 minutes from winning it and none of our players are rated at £20m?

I'm not having that.

To a point we do overrate him.

There's no doubting that Morelos is a great player for us. He's done well in the Europa League. But English clubs don't really look on the Europa as being a prestige competition and they don't rate our league highly. I'm sure a few clubs in the EPL would love to sign Morelos, but probably not at the money our fans think he's worth.

To us he's a £20mil+ player. Maybe a fair bit +

To clubs in the EPL or the big European leagues, he's not £20mil. Lille tried but weren't willing to go big for him.

We're in the unfortunate position where he has a year left on his contract. That'll also bring the fee down because teams know that they can get him for nothing next summer if they bide their time and the player becomes sufficiently unsettled that he doesnt sign an extension. Morelos himself will be looking at Goldson's situation and the fact that we agreed a new deal with him barely a few weeks before he became a free agent and will feel that he has the luxury of waiting until next summer to see if anybody fancies his services. He'll be in no rush to extend his deal whilst we really shouldn't be running the risk of losing him for nothing in 12 months time.

I'm a Leeds fan first and foremost but would not want Alfie thanks, just not at the level required, I'm not a huge fan of Bamford either to be honest, misses far too many chances that elite players would bury.
Have already said Alfie would be great for Leeds, they create chances but only have Bamford ( injured most of last season ) as a natural striker. Still hope he stays with us though.

Edouard had quite good stats when in the Scottish Premiership but is now not doing very well at Crystal Palace.

Unfortunately for us this won't go unnoticed by EPL scouts and it will lower their opinion of the Scottish Premiership.

How do we know there's been no English interest?

I think it's more likely that there has been interest but that the clubs involved still think that Rangers are a soft touch in the transfer market. We aren't anymore. There will have been tentative interest, but when it became clear our valuation of him wasn't going to be matched, the talks will have broken down.

Still, there's a long way to go in this transfer window. I don't want to lose Alfie, but if he does go, I am more than confident we'll get good money for him.

Our run to the EL final has strengthened our hand financially.

Back