Sands reminiscent of Bocanegra

nateman

Very much reminds me of Bocanegra the way he plays at centre half. Looks very classy and cultured despite keeping things simple most of the time, and surprisingly strong in the challenge for a guy who isn't 6'4. I think Centre Half looks like his best position moving forward.

Much better on the ball though. Bocanegra was very good at safety first defending; never afraid to just boot the baw out the pitch. Sands is unbelievably composed for a centre half.

We haven't really seen him tested much defensively as a centre back yet though, so curious to see. However, that was his actual position for New York, so here's hoping

Still chuckle at the fans writing him off straight away.

Definitely a player there.
Part of the indifference was people not knowing exactly what role he was expected to fulfil. He openly said in an interview shortly after joining that he prefers midfield, even though (I think) he spent a lot of the time playing CB prior to joining us.

He has rowed back on those comments though, interview on H&H this week just past he was neutral on his best position and said he's comfortable at CB - and it's pretty clear from recent evidence that is where he is going to be deployed.

I worried he would be some sort of utility player, so its good to see him excel in a specific position to justify a potential 4m outlay next season.

Very much reminds me of Bocanegra the way he plays at centre half. Looks very classy and cultured despite keeping things simple most of the time, and surprisingly strong in the challenge for a guy who isn't 6'4. I think Centre Half looks like his best position moving forward.

In what way exactly does he remind you of Bocanegra? Completely different players.

Only thing similiar is they are both American.

Mate you should go for a job in the Daily Record

American + American = American

I really think he’s a player. Just took some time to settle.

My concern is the reported fee we need to pay should we want to keep him is pretty high and to justify it he’ll need to be playing regularly and I’m not sure he’s going to play in defence ahead of Davies and Souttar or in midfield ahead of Lundstram, Jack and Kamara.

Could be one that comes back to haunt us in years to come if he goes to another club

My concern is the reported fee we need to pay should we want to keep him is pretty high and to justify it he’ll need to be playing regularly and I’m not sure he’s going to play in defence ahead of Davies and Souttar or in midfield ahead of Lundstram, Jack and Kamara.

Could be one that comes back to haunt us in years to come if he goes to another club

Just turned 22, got all the attributes for a modern player, with bags of potential, and will find his best position in due course, at CH or holding MF.

Rumour was 4M to make the deal permanent. I'd pay that, will be money well spent.

I'd have him in midfield ahead of Kamara and Jack.

Our midfield really lacks vision and accurate forward passing, Sands brings that.

Won every ball in the air on Saturday, Goldson and Souttar won less put together, kept the ball moving at all times and kept it simple, 2 cross field 50/60 yard balls hit their man, what’s not to like unless you haven’t given him the chance or don’t want to give him a chance.
Loved Bocanegra but Sands will have an outstanding career and I hope we put him on the first step of his journey from the states .

This comparison wouldn’t be made if they weren’t both American. Boca was average on the ball and a bit of a backs to the wall defender. Sands is more of a ball player and uses his football brain to get in front of his man.

Reveal yourselves !!! :)
I'll be honest and say around the end of the season I was saying he's not worth the fee we'd need to pay.

However since pre season and his little cameo on Saturday, I'm starting to change my mind. If he keeps it up then I'd spend the close to £5m.

If you look at it as £2million per position it softens the blow a little bit even as back up…..good utility men being good to come by these days, but that’s how I felt about it too mate

Sands should enjoy the FF adulation while he can. I’m sure the moon howlers will be back after he misplaces a pass or makes a wee mistake.

Sands should enjoy the FF adulation while he can. I’m sure the moon howlers will be back after he misplaces a pass or makes a wee mistake.

You're not kidding.
It's less than a fortnight since I was arguing with posters claiming he brought nothing, was anonymous, a waste of jersey etc.

They appear to have disappeared for now, but as you say, one error or misplaced pass and they'll be back offering to buy him a one way tkt back to NYC.
We have some permanently raging maniacs in our support :))

I'd have him in midfield ahead of Kamara and Jack.

Our midfield really lacks vision and accurate forward passing, Sands brings that.
I can’t remember thinking this last season!
Always thought he was more defensive.
The type of tactical player who gets in the way of the opposition by always being the blocker in their move forward.
All without even touching the ball.

As mentioned above, his ability in the air has surprised me so far - we've not seen him enough, and particularly being challenged by a decent striker over a full game but it is encouraging.

I really like him at CB - he gets plenty of time on the ball with the game in front of him domestically and he's not scared to try a difficult pass that gets us moving with either foot. Again, in the short time we've seen him.

It seems like we have really prioritised finding good/comfortable ball playing CBs (Souttar and Davies also have reputations for this) rather than solid defensive CBs (Katic and even Helander and Balogun to a degree). Looking forward to seeing them over the season.

I think he is much more suited to playing CB than he is to the defensive midfield role.

This could be a big season for him.

Back