Gerrard since joining Villa

Do they....he was getting pelters on their forum at the weekend....but then again we can't speak when you look at FF some weekends :)) Gerrard maybe needs some more time to learn. Hope he has a good mentor who can help him.

Posts from Villa Talk....

Really tried to remain positive but how can I after this result. We’ve been dreadful, why didn’t we start Mings, Buendia, Sanson and pick a different captain?

Gerrard isn’t going to get long, fans already turning on Game 1.

Maybe it's time we just had no expectations with Villa. We're a shambles of a football club given what we spend and aim for and we're actually a small club in today's game and no longer relevant. Sorry to have to say it.

Pitiful performance.

McGinn very poor, Coutinho virtually anonymous. No idea what the attacking plan is.

Could persisting with McGinn and Coutinho regardless be Gerrard's undoing

McGinn is shit. Everyone can see it but Gerrard.

McGinn ducking out the way of that, making a breakaway for them

Etc etc...

My company is based in the Midlands and the three season tickets holders at Villa that work for us love him.

That post smacks of a post defeat match thread.

You do know he lifted a giant of a football club in us off it's knees and took us to a record points total with an undefeated season winning our most important title in our history. When Klopp decides to leave Liverpool Gerrard will be in the frame for the job.
How is this in any way relevant it's what he does with Villa see the topic heading, if it was judged on leagues won in Scotland Lennon would have been managing at a high level in the EPL, no one cares about SPFL football in England.
His good form in Europe will give him some clout though but he has to be a success at Villa.

Last edited:
Do they....he was getting pelters on their forum at the weekend....but then again we can't speak when you look at FF some weekends :)) Gerrard maybe needs some more time to learn. Hope he has a good mentor who can help him.

Posts from Villa Talk....

Really tried to remain positive but how can I after this result. We’ve been dreadful, why didn’t we start Mings, Buendia, Sanson and pick a different captain?

Gerrard isn’t going to get long, fans already turning on Game 1.

Maybe it's time we just had no expectations with Villa. We're a shambles of a football club given what we spend and aim for and we're actually a small club in today's game and no longer relevant. Sorry to have to say it.

Pitiful performance.

McGinn very poor, Coutinho virtually anonymous. No idea what the attacking plan is.

Could persisting with McGinn and Coutinho regardless be Gerrard's undoing

McGinn is shit. Everyone can see it but Gerrard.

McGinn ducking out the way of that, making a breakaway for them

Etc etc...
Yip, that's a kneejerk reaction to a defeat. Fans can be fickle, just ask John Lundstram.

You are posting that as a rangers fan though with blue tinted specs on.
Gerrard is not a rangers fan, he will see things entirely differently with red tinted specs on.
Yes, I get that and that is why I said that my view is biased but also how many players and managers have came here and became Rangers fans throughout the time that they have spent here.

He always had an endgame in Liverpool but I also think the lure of leaving was more family orientated.

1986/87. We just didn't have social media in those days to capture a lot of it.
Yes I remember it well is that when when we took the goalposts at Pittodrie and hadn't won the league in about 10 years. The celebrations were massive but nothing to what we witnessed when we won 55 if we're being honest.

Yes, I get that and that is why I said that my view is biased but also how many players and managers have came here and became Rangers fans throughout the time that they have spent here.

He always had an endgame in Liverpool but I also think the lure of leaving was more family orientated.
It’s a three time win for him, maybe 4
More cash
Bigger transfer budget
Better league
Closet to home

An absolute no brainer for him

People trying to say 55 wasn’t the best/most important title in our history are at it and it’s nothing to do with the age thing. We went down to the bottom tier and came back up and managed to actually reach the top of Scottish football again after going through so much. Cheapening that to have a go at Gerrard is pathetic.

Obviously the fact that lot were going for a record 10 in a row adds to it also.

People trying to say 55 wasn’t the best/most important title in our history are at it and it’s nothing to do with the age thing. We went down to the bottom tier and came back up and managed to actually reach the top of Scottish football again after going through so much. Cheapening that to have a go at Gerrard is pathetic.

Obviously the fact that lot were going for a record 10 in a row adds to it also.
But this has nothing to do with the topic, "Gerrard since joining Villa" and the OP's point which can be seen below.

After 28 games, Steven Gerrard's win % record at Aston Villa is the same as Gary Neville's at Valencia.

Won - 10
Drawn - 5
Lost - 13
Win % - 35%

But this has nothing to do with the topic, "Gerrard since joining Villa" and the OP's point which can be seen below.

After 28 games, Steven Gerrard's win % record at Aston Villa is the same as Gary Neville's at Valencia.

Won - 10
Drawn - 5
Lost - 13
Win % - 35%
There's multiple posters in the thread discussing the importance of the 55 title and Gerrard's performance at Rangers until then, those are the ones I'm addressing. Gerrard won't survive at Villa very long is my opinion without Beale, I'm not arguing against that.

Won - 10
Drawn - 5
Lost - 13
Win % - 35%
Yeah but Valencia were looking to qualify for champions league football at the time whereas Villa were looking to avoid relegation.

Gerrard will only be in the frame if he is successful as a manager in his own right. There is next to no chance of Liverpool going from the absolute elite of football management in Klopp, to Steven Gerrard... unless he really shows he has what it takes.

If he gets binned by Villa he will still have options, but those options are unlikely to be ones that will have him in the frame for the Liverpool job.
At this moment I think the England National Team manager's position is more likely than the Liverpool one.

There's multiple posters in the thread discussing the importance of the 55 title and Gerrard's performance at Rangers until then, those are the ones I'm addressing. Gerrard won't survive at Villa very long is my opinion without Beale, I'm not arguing against that.
No, it was very important but they all are but it was really special because of how long they daft c.unts had sung about ten n a row when they never even managed nine.
I agree without Beale Gerrard's job is much harder the Epl is a lot harder as well the mistakes are punished by better players.
He seems now to have problems internally with the team which is never good for any manager.

Beale will be a huge loss there's no doubt about that but I'd imagine the contacts Gerrard will have in the game he'll find a replacement. I think Gerrard will be reasonably successful with Villa and I think he'll get substantial backing.

It’s a three time win for him, maybe 4
More cash
Bigger transfer budget
Better league
Closet to home

An absolute no brainer for him
Maybe, but it looks like he will fvck up his ultimate dream job by going there, Liverpool will have the pick of the stall when it comes to replacing Klopp, Gerrard will be nowhere near the thought process of the board.
Imo.

Maybe, but it looks like he will fvck up his ultimate dream job by going there, Liverpool will have the pick of the stall when it comes to replacing Klopp, Gerrard will be nowhere near the thought process of the board.
Imo.
On the other hand had he remained at rangers and been as successful as Gio has been thus far he would still not have a sniff of the Liverpool job

Taki
On the other hand had he remained at rangers and been as successful as Gio has been thus far he would still not have a sniff of the Liverpool job
Taking us to a European final is where the respect is earned, winning the SPL is a sideshow and expected of an old firm manager.

Beale will be a huge loss there's no doubt about that but I'd imagine the contacts Gerrard will have in the game he'll find a replacement. I think Gerrard will be reasonably successful with Villa and I think he'll get substantial backing.
He's been replaced by Neil Critchley.

Success at Villa is to be third to sixth consistently in the league, and bringing home the FA cup (not won since 1956).

Think he's blown it, and it's not his fault. Very poor career choice. Principally because Villa has left it too late. The EPL is now so corrupted with tv cash etc., and so many clubs are ahead of them, I can see AV fighting it out in the relegation zone for decades.

He would have got the pool job, if he had won several leagues in succession with Gers, along with reasonable Euro runs.

I don't see anyone creating a cv as Mourinho did, when league championships are being bought with big cash. Thats why Pep's reputation will never equal that of Klopp.

Success at Villa is to be third to sixth consistently in the league, and bringing home the FA cup (not won since 1956).

Think he's blown it, and it's not his fault. Very poor career choice. Principally because Villa has left it too late. The EPL is now so corrupted with tv cash etc., and so many clubs are ahead of them, I can see AV fighting it out in the relegation zone for decades.

He would have got the pool job, if he had won several leagues in succession with Gers, along with reasonable Euro runs.

I don't see anyone creating a cv as Mourinho did, when league championships are being bought with big cash. Thats why Pep's reputation will never equal that of Klopp.
I'm sure Klopp would liked to have won 4 out of the last five EPL titles like pep.

Last edited:
A lot of villa fans didn’t want him to begin with and Villa got an initial bounce and they got out of the relegation threat.the results in 2022 are pretty awful.listening to the epl show on h&h and David Edgar made i thought a very good observation when he was Rangers manager he was managing players who were in awe of Stevie Gerrard so it was easy to get the players to do exactly as he wanted.he is now dealing with players who have massive egos and who at worst will get a big move to another club or sit and wait for a new manager to take over.if villa are not clear of the relegation zone come the turn of the year.they will have no qualms about sacking him.

I think Gerrard has an old school approach to man mgt, as is evident with his stushie with Mings .
You can just tell Mings isn’t going to be his sort of player - chews gum when playing and has a sort of languid, too-cool-for-school attitude and playing style.
But unfortunately for Gerrard, many young EPL players earning silly money in this day and age are like that.

My company is based in the Midlands and the three season tickets holders at Villa that work for us love him.

That post smacks of a post defeat match thread.
Said before on this thread, I’m sat round the pool with a couple of villa season ticket holders and they are not having him so he is obviously dividing their support.

FWIW I love the guy

I think Gerrard has an old school approach to man mgt, as is evident with his stushie with Mings .
You can just tell Mings isn’t going to be his sort of player - chews gum when playing and has a sort of languid, too-cool-for-school attitude and playing style.
But unfortunately for Gerrard, many young EPL players earning silly money in this day and age are like that.

Reading that Gerrard's forthright style and demands to be more successful is rubbing up some of the "old guard" the wrong way as they are "just happy to be at a club like Villa, playing in front of 42,000 and picking up big wages!"

Seems like a lot of bad pros not interested in success.

That’s what I get for not reading the thread properly

To be fair it is a thread about Steven Gerrard so I knew exactly what you meant. Just to back up what you said the three season ticket holders in my work aren’t convinced with SG either. One of the guys I speak with regular and he said they can’t seem to put a full game together. One half is shite and one half is generally OK to good. The shite half changes regularly, one week the first half the next week the 2nd.

I'm sure Klopp would liked to have won 4 out of the last five EPL titles like pep.
I could put out a very good argument that the only trophies won fairly by Pep were Euro ones with Bayern Munich, all the others were bought. Also BM are perennial contenders, so no massive achievement even there.

Every trophy won by Liverpool by Klopp is worth four by City under Pep, or indeed under any trained monkey.

Pep only has a problem if coming second in anything.

I could put out a very good argument that the only trophies won fairly by Pep were Euro ones with Bayern Munich, all the others were bought. Also BM are perennial contenders, so no massive achievement even there.

Every trophy won by Liverpool by Klopp is worth four by City under Pep, or indeed under any trained monkey.

Seek help.

I'm sorry, what?

Sounds crazy so early in the season, but Everton is a massive game for him on Saturday.
Lose that heavily and the pressure will start to build.

Sounds crazy so early in the season, but Everton is a massive game for him on Saturday.
Yup that’s the reason he should not have went to Villa wasters who think they belong at the top table. Miles off it expectations far out reach reality hope he succeeds he and his team brought Rangers back I will be forever grateful.

It's the EPL most teams are capable of beating each other. I think Gerrard will be relatively successful for Villa they would be crazy to sack a manager this early in the season particularly when he saved them from relegation last season.

Yup that’s the reason he should not have went to Villa wasters who think they belong at the top table. Miles off it expectations far out reach reality hope he succeeds he and his team brought Rangers back I will be forever grateful.
Most Rangers fans are grateful, what is it the banner said:Gerrard legend in Liverpool A God in Glasgow

Maybe with you personally, but in the world of football he’s already considered to be the best around.

I listen to that pish Talksport a fair bit.
Not only the dropping of Mings but right across every show putting input about the situation.
Calls more calls pundits you name it SG has just put his arse right on the line.
Gerrard will be picked off by the nutcases in the media down Souff.
Not only him Frank at Everton is now under more pressure because good football players dont make good managers is now the slogan.
I would like to see both guys do well but the writing is on the wall down there if they bomb.
Iconic english players or not public opinion will get them sacked in a heartbeat it wont matter one iota who they are!

Pep never won anything in Europe with Bayern Munich?

Get facts right before posting.

You'll come across as less daft.

3rd to 6th?

I’m not disputing that may be a medium-long term target for the Villa board but when was the last time Villa were even close to that?

Reeks of unrealistic pish tbh. Context is essential and a top 10 finish for Villa this season should be seen as achieving/borderline success for them.

And despite the negativity I wouldn’t put it past Gerrard to achieve that - if he gets the time, which I’m not actually convinced he will.

Gerrard delivered 55 which I am pretty sure every single one of us would have been willing to sacrifice both bollocks for. And he did it in style. Overall, domestically Gerrard won the biggest prize - but definitely under delivered what we would have wanted on the whole. The cups were embarrassing.

He chose to leave Rangers - for Aston Villa. I don’t wish him any ill will at all - but we live and die by the choices we make. Leaving Rangers rarely works out well for anyone. We are the greatest. The only way is down. You’ve learned that Steven.

Gerrard delivered 55 which I am pretty sure every single one of us would have been willing to sacrifice both bollocks for. And he did it in style. Overall, domestically Gerrard won the biggest prize - but definitely under delivered what we would have wanted on the whole. The cups were embarrassing.

He chose to leave Rangers - for Aston Villa. I don’t wish him any ill will at all - but we live and die by the choices we make. Leaving Rangers rarely works out well for anyone. We are the greatest. The only way is down. You’ve learned that Steven.
I will always be eternally grateful to Steven Gerrard for delivering 55 and also for restoring our reputation in Europe. Stevie G no doubt had his reasons for leaving our great club and we have to respect these and move on with our new leader Gio. I do hope Stevie G and Gary Mac manage to turn things around at Villa as a significant section of their support seem to have have expectations way beyond what is realistic for their club in my opinion. The EPL can also be very unforgiving even for big name managers, just look at Frank Lampard and Frank De Boer. The owners are very quick to pull the trigger as they know they can replace with another big name to appease their supporters. The loyalty and time afforded to him by Glasgow Rangers during his tenure will probably not be as high at Villa I suspect.

I will always be eternally grateful to Steven Gerrard for delivering 55 and also for restoring our reputation in Europe. Stevie G no doubt had his reasons for leaving our great club and we have to respect these and move on with our new leader Gio. I do hope Stevie G and Gary Mac manage to turn things around at Villa as a significant section of their support seem to have have expectations way beyond what is realistic for their club in my opinion. The EPL can also be very unforgiving even for big name managers, just look at Frank Lampard and Frank De Boer. The owners are very quick to pull the trigger as they know they can replace with another big name to appease their supporters. The loyalty and time afforded to him by Glasgow Rangers during his tenure will probably not be as high at Villa I suspect.
Very fair points Bud. Gio has already massively surpassed Gerrard’s Euro and cup exploits - definitely very positive vibes under Gio about what we can deliver!

Gerrard - this is the path he chose. We are shaped by the choices we make. He chose Villa over Rangers. He has to live with that. As do we, and with GVB at the helm, he has already delivered the best night in Ibrox history, a Euro final, our first SC in 13 years and now needs to reclaim our title and deliver more. Onwards we charge!

A lot of villa fans didn’t want him to begin with and Villa got an initial bounce and they got out of the relegation threat.the results in 2022 are pretty awful.listening to the epl show on h&h and David Edgar made i thought a very good observation when he was Rangers manager he was managing players who were in awe of Stevie Gerrard so it was easy to get the players to do exactly as he wanted.he is now dealing with players who have massive egos and who at worst will get a big move to another club or sit and wait for a new manager to take over.if villa are not clear of the relegation zone come the turn of the year.they will have no qualms about sacking him.
You do know FF don't charge for using a comma now and again.

Back