Commentators using the same phrases again and again

Pundits and commentators have the easiest jobs going. They all come away with the same old tired responses during every game. Provan is one of the worst. He thinks he’s being intelligent but he just repeats himself. Kamara on Soccer Saturday says “unbelievable Jeff” so much it’s lost it’s meaning. Aye it was funny at first but old hat now.

‘Away goals count double’!!! No they fuckin don’t. They all say this. So we draw 3 all away from home and then draw nil nil at home. Does that mean we go through 6-3? No it fuckin doesn’t

Davie Provan's commentary is the same week in week out, it just a string of cliches strung together.

In the OF game at hampden just there commentator said something that really annoyed me and I thought it was inappropriate for a professional commentator,right after they scored penalty “ that’s rangers put firmly back in their place “
If I worked in management team I’d play that phrase before games to psyche the boys up .

May just be me that got annoyed

Jock Brown - “That was a goal, if ever there was one.”

If ever there was one?

I didn’t know what it meant then and I’m none the wiser now.

I don’t think he did either.

Still, that’s what you get when you employ someone who looks like a sweating pervert that hangs around kids’ playgrounds.

One that's always puzzled me is "in the back of the net"......The only way the ball can touch the back of the net is by missing the goals....

Watching SSN over the last couple of days, I've heard a few clips of Crocker commentating down the years. Incredible that he just says the exact same shit over and over...

"You just knew that [player name] would have something special lined up"

"Trust him to have a say on derby day"

The guy may as well just record a few catchphrases and someone could play them randomly every time there's a goal.

Any other commentator catchphrases that do your nut in?
I heard they were just doing FIFA a.i. Commentary on matches now to save a few quid.

Whenever hearts are on the telly they have to remind you that Harry Cochran is only 16 years old about 100000 times. We get it.

When one of our players gets crunched and they go to the replay and say ‘there’s nothing in that’

Tommy Smyth - "the auld onion bag". I have to turn the sound off when he's commentating.

Andy Walker just comes away with the most basic observations which my cat could make

One thing I noticed the other night is how often they give us such shit, basic facts.

Aberdeen go 1 up: "Aberdeen have won X games when scoring first. But Rangers have came from behind to win on X occasions"

Half time: repetition of the same fact but from half time

75 mins: Rangers have scored X goals in the last 15 mins, Aberdeen have conceded X goals in the last 15 mins

Christ. Just mindnumbingly boring "stats" that get shunted out every game

i just wish commentators would start referring to goal kicks and throw ins as to what they actually are .

a shy and a by kick

old school loyal

I despise Ian Crocker on Sky Sports.

Especially his constant need to mention that Andy Halliday is “a boyhood Rangers fan, one of many in the Rangers team” as soon as he touches the ball.

Same goes for Murphy, Docherty, Jack and Dorrans. Every. Single. Game.

Crocker saying Derby Day every single time we play them about twenty times a game does my head in.

Reminds me of playing FIFA just hearing the same shite patter over and over.

Simple remedy, don't play fifa and turn the volume down on derby day.

Much better still, buy a season tkt and go watch it.

When pundits always have to bring in one another.

Jamie redknapp is the worst for it. Never gives his opinion always looking for the other pundits to help him out.

Useless fucker has only been kept because he’s “good on the eye” for the female viewers.

Jamie Redknapp is a top pundit.

I understand things can become repetitive but generally he gives a good insight then brings others into the debate. It’s his job.

I like Don Hutchison generally but you can guarantee that if someone successfully completes a five yard pass Hutchison will label him "a technician".

Glad it's not just me. I was starting to think I was being weird :D

I came on to post this very thing - there's one of the BBC MoTD commentators who uses 'just about' all the time. I think he means 'only just' (not that that's an excuse).

'Just about' implies a player nearly managed something ... but didn't.
'Only just' implies a player nearly DIDN'T manage something ... but did.

Idiots!

Last edited:
I know it's not really relative, but Andy Gray on FIFA96 - "You can take a coin, toss it, and whatever side it lands on....that's it."

every fucking game :D

A different sport, but John Virgo, when commentating on the snooker, defaults to "Where's the white ball going? WHERE'S THE WHITE BALL GOING?" any time it strays near the pocket.

Tadger.

Rob McLean "Well if that's not a penalty is it a dive?"

Jim Watt "His legs have gone! His legs have gone Reg!"

Andy gray would always call the top players by their first name, Wayne is just incredible instead of Rooney implying he knows him and they are busom buddies. Such a sookie arse.
Crocker must be the most annoying commentator, same pish patter every game.
Atkinson would always want the ball thrown in the mixer at every opportunity.

‘He has every right to go down’ and ‘He was anticipating the contact’ are two that really piss me off, to get them from ex players more often though.

Nothing and I mean nothing will ever beat Stuart Lovell doing co-commentary for ESPN when Hearts played Hibs at Tynecastle. MaKalamby, the very tall, lanky and black Hibs goalkeeper came out and took a floating high ball with one hand. The main commentator comments how he took it with ease, Lovell retorts "I'm not surprised, he has arms like an orangutan". The main commentator doesnt speak for about 10 seconds... :)

It's sad that this can't really be accepted in society today. And if I had coffee in my mouth it would have been all over the screen at that as well!:D:D:D

Pass and move - ever since Hansen used it everyone on the BBC does. Also every goal appears to be down to poor defending, never skill from the scorers.

"Just about".

Keeper makes a good save. He does "just about enough to keep it out" well no he either kept it out or not there is not just about, about it.

Just about to me means Nearly. I know it is stupid and I'm being pedantic. :D
No you're not. This total misuse of the language does my head in, they all do it.

Player x "with that left foot of his". As if he purchased it for a fortune in an auction.

Back