Jimmy Nichol

If he came in and things never got better then why would we keep him ?

I like Jimmy Nic but this isn't 1994/95 anymore when he was the hottest property in Scottish managerial circles.

Time for sentimentality is over. Jimmy Nic has done us a turn in three spells but we need to be utterly ruthless now.

Why would we keep him?
I don’t really see what he’s contributed even since taking over it was the same old.
We have a new exciting coaching staff coming in.
The same posters on here are always on about jobs for the boys. If this wasn’t jimmy nichol no one would be wanting him kept past June 1st.

I like Jimmy Nic but this isn't 1994/95 anymore when he was the hottest property in Scottish managerial circles.

Time for sentimentality is over. Jimmy Nic has done us a turn in three spells but we need to be utterly ruthless now.
And do what exactly.??

Lovely guy who obviously loves the club dearly, but we can’t keep looking back, it’s the dawn of an exciting new chapter and era for the club, he’d be good as a host on match days but should be nowhere near the first team.

I have nothing but respect for Jimmy Nicholl, however he played around 80 games for Rangers (over 2 spells totalling 4 years), and aside from the obvious 1994/95 successes with Raith Rovers, he's not achieved much as a coach.
Yes, he was part of Northern Irelands efforts as an assistant, but Falkirk (again as assistant) weren't prospering before he joined Murty as part of our "dream team".
I'm well aware that Jimmy loves Rangers, but finding positions for people we like has to be replaced by appointing people we need.

Rather than JN I would rather a place was kept for JJ, I have a feeling he will do well in coaching or management.
He’s over seen and been the No2 in two of our worst managerial spells with Caixinha and Murty and has shown absolutely nothing. He should have been punted with Pedro, it was a totally left field appointment at the time and has shown absolutely zero.

Rather than JN I would rather a place was kept for JJ, I have a feeling he will do well in coaching or management.
He was Pedro's choice after an interview process. It's professional football - he'll pop up elsewhere.

Get a grip, sometimes I despair at the attitude on FF to good servants of the club

It seems it’s just me but his press conference depresses me. Seemed like he was resigned to the possibility of maybe not winning at the weekend and his body language and demeanour were very negative. The quicker this season is over and we have Gerrard preaching his winning and fighting mentality to our players the better. The current lot seem more keen for the season to finish than even us fans.

I have nothing but respect for Jimmy Nicholl, however he played around 80 games for Rangers (over 2 spells totalling 4 years), and aside from the obvious 1994/95 successes with Raith Rovers, he's not achieved much as a coach.
Yes, he was part of Northern Irelands efforts as an assistant, but Falkirk (again as assistant) weren't prospering before he joined Murty as part of our "dream team".
I'm well aware that Jimmy loves Rangers, but finding positions for people we like has to be replaced by appointing people we need.

Seriously? So he never achieved anything as Jimmy Calderwood's number 2? Where year on year on year their Dunfermline and Aberdeen teams improved???

Wiki say................

Nicholl had great success as manager of Raith Rovers, winning the 1994–95 Scottish League Cup and the 1994–95 Scottish First Division championship. Due to their League Cup triumph, Raith qualified for the 1995–96 UEFA Cup and reached the second round, where they were eliminated by eventual winners Bayern Munich.[5] Having lost the first leg to Bayern 2–0 at Easter Road,[6] Raith took a 1–0 lead at the Olympiastadion thanks to a goal by Danny Lennon.[5] Bayern recovered to win 2–1 on the night and 4–1 on aggregate.[5]

On 28 February 1996, Nicholl was appointed manager of Millwall, who just over two months earlier had been top of Division One but were now sliding down the table. He was unable to arrest the decline and Millwall slipped into Division Two on the last day of the season. He remained at Millwall until the following February, and six months after that returned to Raith Rovers.[citation needed] His second spell at Raith lasted two years, and ended on 14 June 1999 after he had failed to get them back into the top flight.[citation needed]

A 28-day spell as manager of Dunfermline Athletic followed later in 1999, and he later served as assistant manager to Jimmy Calderwood at East End Park. In May 2004, Nicholl followed Calderwood when he took over as manager at Aberdeen,[7] again serving as his assistant until the two parted company with the club in May 2009.[8] He resumed his partnership with Calderwood at Kilmarnock in 2010.

Nicholl was appointed manager of Cowdenbeath in June 2010,[9] but he left Cowdenbeath at the end of the 2010–11 season after they were relegated from the First Division.[10]

Nicholl was then appointed assistant manager of Kilmarnock for a second time, by Kenny Shiels on 15 June 2011.[11] Kilmarnock won the 2011–12 Scottish League Cup under Shiels and Nicholl, but Shiels was sacked by Kilmarnock in June 2013. Nicholl then decided to accept the offer of assistant manager at Hibernian.[12][13] After manager Pat Fenlon resigned on 1 November, Nicholl was appointed caretaker manager.[14] Nicholl left Hibernian soon after their new management team was recruited.[15]

After leaving Hibernian, Nicholl returned to Cowdenbeath for a second stint as their manager.[16] He led the Blue Brazil to avoid relegation via the Scottish Championship play-offs in the 2013–14 season beating local rivals Dunfermline Athletic in the two-legged final. He led the side to the Fife Cup that season. However a very difficult season followed in 2014–15, which included a joint-record 10–0 defeat to eventual champions Heart of Midlothian. The following week, Cowdenbeath managed to draw 0–0 with Rangers. The club was relegated to League One on the last day, after which Nicholl resigned as manager.[17]

While still at Cowdenbeath, Nicholl had also become assistant manager to Michael O'Neill with the Northern Ireland national team in March 2015.[18] He was appointed as assistant to new Falkirk manager Paul Hartley in October 2017, while also continuing in his role with Northern Ireland.[19] He became assistant manager at Rangers in January 2018, assisting Graeme Murty.[20] After Murty left Rangers on 1 May, Nicholl and Jonatan Johansson were placed in interim charge.[21]

Honours

Last edited:
Just hope we can find a way to keep Jimmy Nichol. Watching his press conference, he looked relaxed nonplussed be the wee man came in to help out but things never got much better.

He served us twice with great service, hope SG can find somewhere to keep him,,,,,,,

Always enjoyed listening to Jimmy even outwith his time with us ………

I thought he made a very pertinent point today……about when Souness came in.

He was saying that Souness at first… as fas as quality goes……brought in Woods Butcher starting playing himself and I forget the fourth?
but the point was he didn't start out from scratch and sign 7-8 real quality players.

There was a spine put into the team for that new season and the rest was the players who were already there. Jimmy Nic … Durranty …Coop …Coisty… McPherson…etc………

Is it possible that Gerrard will try and do the same?

Seriously? So he never achieved anything as Jimmy Calderwood's number 2? Where year on year on year their Dunfermline and Aberdeen teams improved?????

If you see both of those sides as being successful okay o_O My point is that Jimmy Nicholl's coaching skills bring nothing to Rangers.
Maybe Calderwood should be manager by your thinking?

Just hope we can find a way to keep Jimmy Nichol. Watching his press conference, he looked relaxed nonplussed be the wee man came in to help out but things never got much better.

He served us twice with great service, hope SG can find somewhere to keep him,,,,,,,
Nicholl has served the club well over the years but it's time for him to move on and allow Gerrard get on with the job the way he sees it. Time for the club to wish him well and thanks for the service.

He’s over seen and been the No2 in two of our worst managerial spells with Caixinha and Murty and has shown absolutely nothing. He should have been punted with Pedro, it was a totally left field appointment at the time and has shown absolutely zero.

Harsh, especially when you could see Murty shake his head when JJ was talking to him , obviously not wanting to change things.

Get a grip, sometimes I despair at the attitude on FF to good servants of the club
Good servants? He wasnt doing it for nothing.
80 games aint much, 2 big seasons really.
Just because he s a prod from belfast doesnt shouldnt give you special status.
Our team is full of prods and so called rangers men.
Worst i have seen from rangers men from pre 1986.
These ones cost a lot and are getting plenty money. At least when we had mccleland, dawson, burns etc we werent getting tankings from the tims.

He was saying that Souness at first… as fas as quality goes……brought in Woods Butcher starting playing himself and I forget the fourth?
but the point was he didn't start out from scratch and sign 7-8 real quality players.

There was a spine put into the team for that new season and the rest was the players who were already there. Jimmy Nic … Durranty …Coop …Coisty… McPherson…etc………

Are you sure jimmy nic was there?

Very true.Derek Ferguson and Robert Fleck were others that shone under Souness in that first season.

Hopefully the same happens with Tav,John,McCrorie,Docherty,Jack etc

I think the best thing about Jimmy right now is that he's not Murty.

He also sees when changes are required, unlike Murty.

Jimmy has my thanks but I dont know what role he could realistically fulfil.

I wonder what we could have done had we employed a proper manager in November.

If you see both of those sides as being successful okay o_O My point is that Jimmy Nicholl's coaching skills bring nothing to Rangers.
Maybe Calderwood should be manager by your thinking?
Would have had the 2 Jimmy's before McCoist and Pedro..............Warburton was highly thought of.

Harsh, especially when you could see Murty shake his head when JJ was talking to him , obviously not wanting to change things.
I don’t think it is mate, it’s a results driven business and he’s been involved the whole season. He’s nowhere near what we need.

Would have had the 2 Jimmy's before McCoist and Pedro..............Warburton was highly thought of.

That's a whole different debate though mate, however I don't believe that the 2 Jimmy's would have us further forward than we are now. Opinions I guess.

I’m struggling to see any real positives.

If anything, I think he’s terrible with the press. Rambles on through press conferences with little or no cohesion.

The fact he didn’t know McCrorie could play midfield is embarrassing to be honest.

If anything, I think he’s terrible with the press. Rambles on through press conferences with little or no cohesion.

The fact he didn’t know McCrorie could play midfield is embarrassing to be honest.
That about McCrorie just highlights how shambolic the whole managerial and coaching set up is

???? Jimmy wasn't at the club with PC. He was brought in to help Murty after Pedro left.

Think it's a bit harsh to judge the man for what he did or didn't do under difficult circumstances in such a short time under Murty, never mind blaming him for events when he wasn't even here.

He never said he "didn’t know McCrorie could play midfield". He said he had never seen him play in midfield. Since JN was there McCrorie was injured then played in defense.

???? Jimmy wasn't at the club with PC. He was brought in to help Murty after Pedro left.

Think it's a bit harsh to judge the man for what he did or didn't do under difficult circumstances in such a short time under Murty, never mind blaming him for events when he wasn't even here.
Think he’s talking about Jonathan Johannsen

If there is to be a role for Jimmy it should be a corporate one only.

Did he improve Morelos over the season though? I felt that Morelos's season dipped as the season went on in terms of scoring goals. Nothing wrong with the rest of his game but for a striker he didn't half miss some chances and cost us pretty dearly all things considered.

Except he didn't say that. It's you who isn't paying attention

Mate you’ve not read the thread, I was complimentary to Jimmy Nicholl, we’re talking about Johansson now.....keep up pal! :D

Back