Tottenham after Postecoglou

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Clarke is on record as hating the old firm goldfish bowl so I cant see him taking the celtic job. He is doing well for Scotland so as a side note, I hope he doesnt take it.

Also consider the media fallout when Walter Smith "ditched" Scotland for Rangers when doing well.

Assume the same level of anger directed at Clarke if he moves?

Why? He'd never get away with the tactics he adopted at Scotland and Killie for that mob.

To be fair though, that appointment makes zero sense to him or the animals.
I suppose its easy to say because there is no way they would appoint him but I think he is doing well for Scotland and there are plenty of diddies out there for celtic to choose from. 2 of whom are already at the club in kennedy and strachan.

Also consider the media fallout when Walter Smith "ditched" Scotland for Rangers when doing well.

Certainly from me there would be. I understood (and was delighted) when Walter went back to Rangers in our hour of need. It was his club. Clarke on the other time has spoken about his dislike of the old firm and all the baggage so I would find it much more of a dick move were clarke to leave. I think most would be the same.

I backed him with a decent amount of money before Postecoglu. On nothing else other than it made sense.

It doesn't now though. I suspect Celtic will have seen the benefits to playing the game the way the currently do and will try and replace like for like.

The Record in so much denial they couldn't get through the first paragraph without dropping this Freudian slip:

"Tottenham Hotspur could announce Ange Postecoglou as Celtic boss as early as next week with the Treble-chasing Scottish Premiership champions “resigned to losing” the Aussie, according to a report."

Certainly from me there would be. I understood (and was delighted) when Walter went back to Rangers in our hour of need. It was his club. Clarke on the other time has spoken about his dislike of the old firm and all the baggage so I would find it much more of a dick move were clarke to leave. I think most would be the same.

He'd be hailed as a saint by the media and not get any of the rage Sir Walter got.

from the spurs forum :)

My last week:

Monday - "Who the %^*& is Posterglockaloo?

Wednesday - "Uninspiring appointment. Will end in tears".

Friday - "ANNOUNCE ANGEY BABY".
FxnON38agAEwLyF

They can’t be serious about brown.

Even old senile O’Neil wanting a return to management. Astonishing, absolutely astonishing. Wave after wave!

from the spurs forum :)

My last week:

Monday - "Who the %^*& is Posterglockaloo?

Wednesday - "Uninspiring appointment. Will end in tears".

Friday - "ANNOUNCE ANGEY BABY".

They were calling him the geriatric aussie and crocodile dundee last week B-)

Please be Lego though, I'll celebrate with a nice bottle of whisky if true.

Thats talkSport saying it's almost an odd on certainty:/

Ange Postecoglou is now the odds on favourite to take over as the new Tottenham manager this summer after a tumultuous season. The current Celtic manager is as short as 1/2 on talkSPORT BET to be the manager at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium for the opening match of the 2023/24 season

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sp...brown-new-favourite-replace-ange-postecoglou/

HERO'S RETURN? Celtic legend Scott Brown emerges as shock new FAVOURITE to replace Ange Postecoglou in Parkhead hotseat

CELTIC icon Scott Brown has been named as the new favourite to take over from Ange Postecoglou as Celtic manager if the Aussie departs for Tottenham Hotspur.

The former Parkhead captain is currently the boss of Fleetwood Town but has been listed as the front runner to be the next Hoops manager.

That's according to betting site Sportslens.com who have the ex-Scotland skipper as the 4/1 favourite to replace Postecoglou should he leave for North London.

Others names touted are current Celtic assistant John Kennedy at 13/2, Scotland boss Steve Clarke at 8/1 and Martin O'Neill at 10/1.

Sportslens Head of News Lee Astley said: “Celtic legend Scott Brown heads the field of contenders for the biggest job in Scotland should Ange Postecoglou decide to leave for pastures new.

"Brown had an impressive inaugural managerial season at Fleetwood Town and this will not have gone unnoticed by the Celtic hierarchy.

“The progressive Kjetil Knutsen might catch the eye at 11/1 as he has been extremely impressive at Bodo-Glimt and has been linked with several Premier League jobs.

“There are a number of ex-Celtic managers in the field. Martin O’Neil (10/1) is rumoured to be interested in a return to management having recently expressed disappointment at one of his former haunts Leicester City not calling him to aid them in their recent relegation battle.

“Could Brendan Rodgers be in line for a return? We don’t think it’s likely given the acrimony surrounding his departure and he is priced at 33/1.”

Asked about the Spurs speculation, Postecoglou said: "Someone else was favourite last week right?

"It doesn’t register with me.

"I get all the interest and why people love to speculate on these things.

"I’ve done this dance a few times this year so I think the players are well aware of where my thoughts are."

Postecoglou is preparing for his side's Scottish Cup final with Inverness CT at Hampden where they look to clinch the treble.

The gaffer says he only has his eyes set on the showpiece occasion.

He added: "For me, I woke up this morning thinking about one thing and it's the same thing I've been thinking about for the past five, seven days, which is that I really want to make sure that we play well in this cup final and make it a truly special season.

"I know this football club has had a lot of success this season, including Trebles, but over the history of time there aren't too many that can claim to that.

"And not just for myself and this football club but for some of these players, it might be the only (Treble) they get, so we really need to focus on that."

Ange Postecoglou is a good manager. He’s not a great manager, but he’s been good enough to win 5 out of 6 trophies in Scotland (well, 4 out of 5 so far, but you know).

You might want to qualify that to say that he’s only good at beating weaker teams. But he’s done that consistently over two full seasons. Including beating some that weren’t weaker - Rangers teams under two managers, and occasional European opponents.

If Steven Gerrard had stayed, would he have won the league in 2021/22? I doubt it, because he had mentally left already, and only had a lead due to early stumbles by Postecoglou’s team when he was just in the door. Did Gio blow a lead? Not really, because Postecoglou just kept winning - Gio did as well as Gerrard, other than head-to-head with Postecoglou. For two seasons, Rangers (under Gerrard, Gio and Beale) have amassed points totals usually good enough to win the league - but Postecoglou has done better.

Is he good enough for Spurs? I doubt it. But Spurs don’t have the choices they would like, and they seem to believe he could do a turn for them. He’ll certainly play a style they want.

So it looks like the early doubters were wrong, and Spurs will offer the job to Postecoglou. They probably already have, to his agent, and the deal is all but done. Would Postecoglouturn it down? Not a chance in hell. I expect he’ll be confirmed next week.

Who will replace him at Celtic? I don’t see Rodgers going back; I don’t see Moyes leaving West Ham; I don’t see Stevie Clarke wanting the job. Scott Brown? Really? I think it leaves Celtic with a problem, especially as many signings, especially the Asians, are there because of Postecoglou, and now may not want to stay.

I think Jesse Marsch will be top of their list. They wanted him before Postecoglu and given he’s now a free agent, Marsch would possibly see it as a way to build himself back up. I do not think he’s a good manager however and would love to see him get it.
This current board seem a little bit more clued up recently but I hope lawell has some major involvement and reverts back to the cheap options.

Next Celtic Manager Odds​

• Scott Brown – 4/1
  • John Kennedy – 13/2
  • Steve Clarke – 8/1
  • Martin O’Neil – 10/1
  • Kjetil Knutsen – 11/1
  • Rafa Benitez – 14/1
  • Roy Keane – 16/1
  • Patrick Vieira – 20/1
  • Jesse Marsch – 22/1
  • Adi Hutter – 25/1
  • Paul Lambert – 25/1
  • Ralph Hassenhuttl – 25/1
  • Lucien Favre – 28/1
  • Tommy McIntyre – 28/1
  • Brendan Rodgers – 33/1
  • Gordon Strachan – 33/1
  • Ole Gunnar Solskjaer – 40/1
  • Scott McDonald – 40/1
  • Graham Potter – 50/1
  • Andre Villas-Boas – 60/1
  • Neil Lennon – 66/1
  • Henrik Larsson – 66/1
  • Steven Gerrard – 100/1

They absolutely wont appoint Scott Brown. The papers were full of pish about Roy Keane getting the job in March 2021.

IMO they will go down the foreign route again if they can't persuade Rodgers to come back.

• Scott Brown – 4/1
  • John Kennedy – 13/2
  • Steve Clarke – 8/1
  • Martin O’Neil – 10/1
  • Kjetil Knutsen – 11/1
  • Rafa Benitez – 14/1
  • Roy Keane – 16/1
  • Patrick Vieira – 20/1
  • Jesse Marsch – 22/1
  • Adi Hutter – 25/1
  • Paul Lambert – 25/1
  • Lucien Favre – 28/1
  • Tommy McIntyre – 28/1
  • Brendan Rodgers – 33/1
  • Gordon Strachan – 33/1
  • Scott McDonald – 40/1
  • Graham Potter – 50/1
  • Neil Lennon – 66/1
  • Henrik Larsson – 66/1
  • Steven Gerrard – 100/1
Who the fecks Tommy McIntyre?

• Scott Brown – 4/1
  • John Kennedy – 13/2
  • Steve Clarke – 8/1
  • Martin O’Neil – 10/1
  • Kjetil Knutsen – 11/1
  • Rafa Benitez – 14/1
  • Roy Keane – 16/1
  • Patrick Vieira – 20/1
  • Jesse Marsch – 22/1
  • Adi Hutter – 25/1
  • Paul Lambert – 25/1
  • Lucien Favre – 28/1
  • Tommy McIntyre – 28/1
  • Brendan Rodgers – 33/1
  • Gordon Strachan – 33/1
  • Scott McDonald – 40/1
  • Graham Potter – 50/1
  • Neil Lennon – 66/1
  • Henrik Larsson – 66/1
  • Steven Gerrard – 100/1
No odds on Owen Coyle who left QPR about 2 weeks ago?

I wouldn't be shocked to see him in contention.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back