Donald Findlay talking on the case of Oscar Slater

I was reading up on the miserable bastard.

He refused to reimburse the folk who campaigned and paid for his fight for freedom after he was awarded £6k compo. (Over £300k in today's money).

DF used to chair our Agm’s when they were held in the concert hall

A great speaker who would direct proceedings in his own barresterial way

He got alienated due to Murray and the daily record for making comments at a private rangers supporters event that got filmed

On a totally unrelated note, one of my friends dads was a journalist and wrote a newspaper article on the Slater case, lot of unanswered questions

The Slater case was crazy. Paedodome levels of anti-semitism displayed by the police and prosecution. He was a nasty piece of work as a conman though.

He worked away doing cases - often murders which were regularly reported on.
Read that wrong so edited. Meant more in a Rangers sense. Not sure id ever be able to walk away from it all so completely, never to be seen in Ibrox again.

Last edited:
He is still practicing law. He was instructed to counsel for Whyte and is still tied in with Optimum chambers in Glasgow.

Likelihood of him being counsel for Whyte when the outstanding criminal investigations are concluded and the public inquiry eventually starts.

Slightly off topic what I knew about him mainly through the media I was amazed he just accepted his fate through singing the BB's. I have 2 dictionaries that quote a phenian as "An American who works to remove the British from Ireland" nothing to do with Catholics.
I have told this story before that I was on a training course and there was a mixture of football fans of Scottish teams when the news came through that the BB's was banned and every one of them said good. Nothing to do with the sentiment of the song but they all commented that when Ibrox sung it you could see the effect it had on the team. A couple of weeks later I had an argument with a Tim and he put up quite a case for the banning. It was months later I found out he was a member of the GB and has been mentioned a few times on here. Since then I have always felt that the GB were behind it's banning.

Slightly off topic what I knew about him mainly through the media I was amazed he just accepted his fate through singing the BB's. I have 2 dictionaries that quote a phenian as "An American who works to remove the British from Ireland" nothing to do with Catholics.
I have told this story before that I was on a training course and there was a mixture of football fans of Scottish teams when the news came through that the BB's was banned and every one of them said good. Nothing to do with the sentiment of the song but they all commented that when Ibrox sung it you could see the effect it had on the team. A couple of weeks later I had an argument with a Tim and he put up quite a case for the banning. It was months later I found out he was a member of the GB and has been mentioned a few times on here. Since then I have always felt that the GB were behind it's banning.
Always thought this, the cry of HELLO HELLO from the Rangers fans would put the fear in any team , now denied to us and used to mock us with

The campaign against the Billy Boys was going long before they were formed.

Did the green brigade not only come to formation ~2010? The campaign and attempt at outlawing the BB was going on well before that.

He wrote the foreword to an update of one of the best books ever on Glasgow crime.
Jack House's "Square Mile Of Murder" covers the Slater case and that of Madeline Smith who was found 'Not Proven' on a charge of murdering her lover and also the case of Doctor Pritchard nicknamed 'The Human Crocodile ' who was executed for murdering his wife and mother in law. It also covers the murder of a servant in what was known as 'the Sandyford Place murder.'
All 4 cases centered around Charing Cross and it's immediate environs.
The Slater case is an eternal stain on the City of Glasgow and especially it's police and legal establishment.
Findlay says it was this book that made him take up criminal law, and if you haven't read it, you should.

DF used to chair our Agm’s when they were held in the concert hall

A great speaker who would direct proceedings in his own barresterial way

He got alienated due to Murray and the daily record for making comments at a private rangers supporters event that got filmed

On a totally unrelated note, one of my friends dads was a journalist and wrote a newspaper article on the Slater case, lot of unanswered questions

He was Murray's useful idiot a AGMs back in the day whose only job was to quell any disquiet from the crowd.

He'd sometime drink in The Regent on Pollokshaws Rd.

He defended Craig Whyte against Rangers.

An absolute scumbag of a man who should never be allowed to soil Ibrox with his presence ever again.

Last edited:
My feeling on Findlay is that of another who was big with the talking when things were going well. Not so much when they got tough.
Came across at AGM’s as a bit of a twat imo.

They changed the name of the pub ? Oscar Slaters. Pity.
When the pub was taken over and refurbished, the renaming sparked a fair amount of renewed interest in the historic case, newspaper articles and the like.

Only lasted around 4 years or so, then it reverted to the Carnarvon. Now adopted the previous name of Cameron's.

He wrote the foreword to an update of one of the best books ever on Glasgow crime.
Jack House's "Square Mile Of Murder" covers the Slater case and that of Madeline Smith who was found 'Not Proven' on a charge of murdering her lover and also the case of Doctor Pritchard nicknamed 'The Human Crocodile ' who was executed for murdering his wife and mother in law. It also covers the murder of a servant in what was known as 'the Sandyford Place murder.'
All 4 cases centered around Charing Cross and it's immediate environs.
The Slater case is an eternal stain on the City of Glasgow and especially it's police and legal establishment.
Findlay says it was this book that made him take up criminal law, and if you haven't read it, you should.
My first job after school was with a building company, Barrhead Builders, in their offices on Sandyford Place. The numbers on Sandyford Place were changed to disguise which building was the scene of the murder.

The numbers now increase as you head toward the city centre.

I had sympathy for him over the way Murray dropped him after the sing song, but that sympathy evaporated when he made these comments:

He seemed to be talking about in an emotional sense there. 'Undefinable' was a key word in what he said. Also, when the Gers went to play Findlay's Cowdenbeath in the lower divisions, he said it was the first time we'd played there for decades, meaning he thought of us as the same football club.

My first job after school was with a building company, Barrhead Builders, in their offices on Sandyford Place. The numbers on Sandyford Place were changed to disguise which building was the scene of the murder.

The numbers now increase as you head toward the city centre.
Cheers I love those wee bits of trivia.

There is an interview with him on YouTube and he said that if he hadn't been a lawyer he would have been a pathologist because he would prefer to work with people who are dead. They are maybe not the exact words but something along those lines.

He is undoubtedly very intelligent, but seems a bit weird.

Last edited:
There is an interview with him on YouTube and he said that if he hasn't been a lawyer he would have been a pathologist because he would prefer to work with people who are dead. They are maybe not the exact words but something along those lines.

Well the piece of excrement is dead to me.

Not that I was a fan in the first place.

There is an interview with him on YouTube and he said that if he hasn't been a lawyer he would have been a pathologist because he would prefer to work with people who are dead. They are maybe not the exact words but something along those lines.

Never took to his style. Eccentric Victorian type patter. Bit strange.

Back