Why dont we have any money?

sammy1872

Im always hearing we have no money but it doesnt add up. We have some decent sales in recent years and our best european performances consistently for years. If we have no money now we never will. Imagine a poor year in europe. Where does that leave us. At what point does it change or is it permanent

Im always hearing we have no money but it doesnt add up. We have some decent sales in recent years and our best european performances consistently for years. If we have no money now we never will. Imagine a poor year in europe. Where does that leave us. At what point does it change or is it permanent
One reason is we pay our misfits more than Filth FC pay their squad.

The club has been run at a loss for years, our wage bill is huge in comparison with actually winning stuff.. the only way we could be run at a profit is to cut the wage bill massively, also there is not enough prize money for actually winning stuff in Scotland, never mind finishing second.. this is why qualifying for the Champions League is so important to both us and the tims

We did actually spend money last summer, with varying degrees of failure:

1 bombed out on loan
1 injured for the majority of the season, our biggest outlay in years
1 who can’t be relied on to cut it when we need him the most.

If just one of those forward signings had worked out this season would probably be looking vastly different than it does just now.

Here you go. Read up for yourself. There's no 'hidden' pot of gold, and there's nobody syphoning money out.

The club has been run at a loss for years, our wage bill is huge in comparison with actually winning stuff.. the only way we could be run at a profit is to cut the wage bill massively, also there is not enough prize money for actually winning stuff in Scotland, never mind finishing second.. this is why qualifying for the Champions League is so important to both us and the tims
Its why ultimately i believe the coefficient going backwards currently isnt the worst thing. Yes it would be great if the scottish champions qualified automatically and it was us. But lets look at reality its not us and since its them it starts a cycle of them getting the money, strengthening, winning league, more money. Ultimately to break that cycle we might need them to fail in qualifying

Going to be an uphill battle even more so now if we’ve handed them this title.

Probably be last chance to reel them in for a few years in all honesty. Just being realistic

Its why ultimately i believe the coefficient going backwards currently isnt the worst thing. Yes it would be great if the scottish champions qualified automatically and it was us. But lets look at reality its not us and since its them it starts a cycle of them getting the money, strengthening, winning league, more money. Ultimately to break that cycle we might need them to fail in qualifying
We need them to fail to qualify for the CL just about every year.. that’s why not winning the league will hurt us again this year.. the Europa league money, while welcome is not enough to compensate for no CL games

We did actually spend money last summer, with varying degrees of failure:
We tend to spend £15m roughly, every summer except the summer following our league win. Last summer, our better signings look like the cheaper ones.

Our rivals are able to spend more due to years of building up a cash pot, when they didn’t have to spend much to win the league.

As discussed, we badly need to sort out our wage bill because that hampers us. Roofe etc leaving in the summer will be a massive financial relief.

Although, I imagine tough decisions need to be made if certain targets want a higher wage than they’d get elsewhere due to our quality of league.

I’m rambling now :))

Davies has not been a good signing - but £25k p/w gets you a standard/mediocre Championship player and that's exactly what he is.
There aren't many clubs paying players £25k a week in the championship. This is the biggest issue at the club and why we can't move players on. More than half our squad are on deals they won't get anywhere else in football.

Who says we don't have money?

We must have spent about 40m in the past 4 transfer windows when you factor everything in.

Which is nothing when compared to big leagues but isn't poverty compared to teams in leagues of our size.

We ain't spending the money we get well enough.

Here you go. Read up for yourself. There's no 'hidden' pot of gold, and there's nobody syphoning money out.

People only look at transfer fees brought in or European money.

No thought whatsoever given to the overheads associated with running a football club. Like qualifying for the champions league gives us a £50m transfer kitty.

We spend what we can. We've spent nearly £30m on players in the last 18 months to 2 years.

It's what we are spending it on that's the problem. Miovski cost Aberdeen 600k. We've spent £11m on Danilo, Dessers and Lammers.

Rabbi Matondo is on £30k per week

We have so much waste on our books its scary
He offers little more than what a Ross County jobber would have contributed on a fraction of the wage.

Multiply that numerous times to include Borna, Tav, Goldson, Souttar, Lundstrum, Dowell, Davies, Dessers etc etc

We are trying to make silk purses out of sows ears.

Im not saying anyone is doing anything dodgy. Im saying if we dont have money after the last few years of amazing European runs and some decent sales then i dont know when we do
Well you did say 'it doesn't add up' mate. Maybe I picked you up wrong. Sadly, it DOES add up. And you're right, a failure to make the group stages - or the equivalent under the new system - hurts us and hurts us badly.

No thought whatsoever given to the overheads associated with running a football club. Like qualifying for the champions league gives us a £50m transfer kitty.

We spend what we can. We've spent nearly £30m on players in the last 18 months to 2 years.

It's what we are spending it on that's the problem. Miovski cost Aberdeen 600k. We've spent £11m on Danilo, Dessers and Lammers.
That last para is the real crux of the matter. Too much wasted.

The first thing we need ti do is stop shopping in the English championship. Theres no value. Theres players like mivoski out there. Hopefully dio is one. I cant see us paying for sima. Cortes i dont think id spend 4 million on but id maybe see about another season loan

The first thing we need ti do is stop shopping in the English championship. Theres no value. Theres players like mivoski out there. Hopefully dio is one. I cant see us paying for sima. Cortes i dont think id spend 4 million on but id maybe see about another season loan
We definitely need to look closer to home.

Due to mismanagement by the Board. The Board have failed at “football operations” since Gerrard and Mark Allen left.

Continuous negligence in the appointment of managers and football staff have resulted in substandard recruitment and a massive wage bill.

But when you see the level of questions at our AGM it’s no wonder they get away with it

We shouldn't be paying any player more than £20,000 a week.

We play in the spfl. Only 1 team will pay a player more than that.

In fact no other teams will pay any player more than half of that.

Scouting the right up and coming players, bringing through our own players and getting players in who impress enough in our league is what we should be doing.

We're playing guys 30 grand a week really only for 4 games a season and even then they aren't good enough.
And even with that we're still in touching distance of them (I don't think we'll get above them this year after yesterday's debacle but it's shown this season we can compete with them without beating them)

We shouldn't need his on that amount of money to beat Ross County and the rest.

I firmly believe in Clement, yes he has made some mistakes but I think given the right tools he will get the job done. My only hope is that he would believe in himself to compete with those wage restraints on future signings knowing the kind of players we could get in within that pay scale from the likes of Scandanavia etc.

We have overpaid for far too long.

If 25k for a player from England gets you a player the quality of Ben Davies, it seems a pretty good idea to avoid that market rather than saying that is the standard of player you get for that wage

I would expect John Souttar even for instance is on far less, with no fee involved and has given a far greater return

NEH and two shambolic summer transfer windows. Money gone.
NEH didn't come from the playing budget. It's nonsense to say that. Ifnwe hadn't built NEH it didn't mean the £10m was being spent on transfers.

There is zero guarantee with any transfers. Every season if we bring in 6 players 2 will probably work out. 4 will struggle. Its always been that way.

we keep paying of managers a year into a muti year contract

our squad is bloated

Poorly ran.

Too much wasted on rubbish players and players that are well past their sell by date.

Connor Goldson getting a new 4 year deal in 2022 is an example.
Unfortunately the majority were haply he resigned. Also meant not paying millions to buy a new player.

People also saying let everyone out of contract go. That's all well and good but how do we replace them with better quality with limited resources. Saving their wages doesn't put £20m in our accounts to actually buy players.

I will also add that fans won't accept 4 or 5 20 year old that may have potential as it won't lead to immediate success.

Back