Alex Rae - what is he bringing ?

Looking at yesterday where our midfield were non existent I was wondering is Alex Rae bringing anything to the table. You never hear him speak, just nods when Phil is talking to him. Alex might have been a limited player but he knew how to put the boot in and mixed it with anyone yet our team don’t seem to do either. Does anyone know what he does as I don’t see him doing much on match days. To be fair to Alex, I don’t see anyone else from the back room team doing that much either.
Do you feel better now?

deep-sigh-malik-wright.gif
You know it’s bad when the 3rd or 4th team coach is getting it

The crux of this squad have had two managers sacked and now we’re having a pop at a back room coach?

Some folk are absolutely wild

Everyone Anyone springs to mind in a strange context.

Not intended as it was set out to be though. :))

Wont make a difference to the team really but Rae shouldn’t be anywhere near it. He was kept on cause it was convenient but I doubt he offers basically anything of value.

Genuine question, but what do you know about Alex Rae's role and what he brings to it to say that he shouldn't be anywhere near it and offers nothing of value?

He’s bringing a knowledge of ‘the streets’ of Scottish football. he’s knows the people , staff in other clubs , players etc in Scottish football , he’s an ex player , experienced coach and hopefully a good man to have around. A bit like Gary McAllister in many ways I suppose. I hope he makes a positive difference but who knows.

Genuine question, but what do you know about Alex Rae's role and what he brings to it to say that he shouldn't be anywhere near it and offers nothing of value?
We’ve heard quite a lot of him on the TV and radio. He fought our corner which is always good, but never struck me as management/coaching material, especially for Rangers. He’s there because he’s an ex player - nothing else. He was quite hard to take serious to be honest and he fit in quite well with the SSB type nonsense.

I doubt he’s having a negative impact but can’t see how he would actually bring anything of genuine value. A bit like Gary Macallister to be honest in the sense that he was there because of his playing career, especially when you hear him speak these days.

Clement has won 3 league titles in a tougher league than Scotland. He doesn't suffer fools - Rae wasn't known to him but unsurprisingly given his playing and coaching credentials impressed him on an interim basis and was subsequently appointed.

Despite recent results the whole management team have worked wonders with what they've had in front of them. They've then made some cracking signings in January only for our injury / scottish hatchet men/ scottish pitch curse to strike.

We up against it true but won't be for want of trying (even if that on field performance yesterday by some says differently).

He will be doing as instructed by Clement. Can't start blaming back room staff for that shambles yesterday, although he is only in the position as he is a former player, which at one point everyone seemed to say we needed more Rangers men in the back room staff, can't have it both ways.

Alex is there to provide the management team with local football knowledge.

Probably hard to predict that county would turn up and outplay us given all the historical evidence against it.

That said, he would be aware of the position they are in and how much fight that they needed to put into the game. As such, maybe he didn’t influence the managers team selection enough?

It is too easy when you’re in your dream job to sit on your hands and not make waves though, but who knows what he did or did not bring to the table.

When Rae was on RTV he would point out the various issues and could spot them no bother.

Now he's part of the coaching team a lot of those same problems are still happening, which makes me think it's harder to get a group of players with a history of bottling things to change than it is to notice what they're doing wrong.

I think Rae in still there because he was already there and it was a relatively cheap appointment. Wasn't a great success with Paul Ince down south. Used to listen to him on Clyde 1 and he just stumbled his way through sentences using all the managerial buzz words.

Brings more than Tav or Goldson that’s for sure.

Alex as player would have been swinging for these wimps in his playing days.

This thread is just another example of fodder for any lurkers from across the city looking in FF for ammo to wind us up further with. Similar to what we do with them on Kerryfail. Please, please stop this behaviour now. Jeez.

Looking at yesterday where our midfield were non existent I was wondering is Alex Rae bringing anything to the table. You never hear him speak, just nods when Phil is talking to him. Alex might have been a limited player but he knew how to put the boot in and mixed it with anyone yet our team don’t seem to do either. Does anyone know what he does as I don’t see him doing much on match days. To be fair to Alex, I don’t see anyone else from the back room team doing that much either.
What the f*ck do you want to "see him doing"? Card tricks? Grabbing the mic and singing Simply The Best pre-match?

Unless you're at Auchenhowie every day how/why would you see what he does?

Clement has won 3 league titles in a tougher league than Scotland. He doesn't suffer fools - Rae wasn't known to him but unsurprisingly given his playing and coaching credentials impressed him on an interim basis and was subsequently appointed.
Clement was assistant to Preud'homme at Club Brugge at the same time Rae was assistant to McLeish at Genk in 2014-15. There is every possibility they knew each other from then.

I do like Colin Stewart, but it does do my nut in when he's the one talking to the subs before they go on. Like what pearls of wisdom is the goalie coach giving them at that stage.
Beale used to have the taxi driver beside him, still can't believe we fell for it....

Mate he’s there to put the cones out ffs. Local assistant to give an insight in to the league that’s all. He won’t be the tactical mastermind. Every side has them.

We are in no position to assess how well he is or isn't performing.

Not being snide, but how can we possibly tell?

We’ve heard quite a lot of him on the TV and radio. He fought our corner which is always good, but never struck me as management/coaching material, especially for Rangers. He’s there because he’s an ex player - nothing else. He was quite hard to take serious to be honest and he fit in quite well with the SSB type nonsense.

I doubt he’s having a negative impact but can’t see how he would actually bring anything of genuine value. A bit like Gary Macallister to be honest in the sense that he was there because of his playing career, especially when you hear him speak these days.

Fair enough. Doesn't really say what Rae's actual role is or how well he performs it though. He wasn't just plucked from thin air either, he was part of the transition from post-Beale to Clement and Phil must have seen enough in him to keep him on, unlike Steven Davis.

It sounds like I'm cheerleading for Rae here but I just don't see why the guy is getting criticized when none of us know what his actual job is or how he does it.

Fair enough. Doesn't really say what Rae's actual role is or how well he performs it though. He wasn't just plucked from thin air either, he was part of the transition from post-Beale to Clement and Phil must have seen enough in him to keep him on, unlike Steven Davis.

It sounds like I'm cheerleading for Rae here but I just don't see why the guy is getting criticized when none of us know what his actual job is or how he does it.
He’s part of the coaching staff - so we can assume he performs the traditional role in some sense. In that regard, I don’t see how he adds much to us.

I am raging Alex didn't put a strip on and get on the park lol

Look when we were flying players hurting other teams were targeted and got injured we were thin on the ground for awhile and as players came back to fit in takes a bit of time to get upto speed!

However for what ever reason and for quite a few years we having gifted many goals as well as facing many dodgy match officials decisions?

That cost us big time as did this arrogant display having had a longer rest they looked more like they were suffering from a late night out?

It's on the players not Alex Rae, these players have the quality but for some reason perhaps the burden of carrying some passengers was too much and it felt like more than 3/4 were passengers question is why? Only they can answer!

Phil will need more than another season to clear out the players and their skeletons whom have been skinned that much when the chips are down!

I also think it is time the club started protecting it's assets and have a ward about more protection for our players on the field!

This outfit needs to conjure everything they have to deliver the title and they can start by getting angry about their own performances and finding that hunger, work rate and desire that was missing against Ross County and above all up the pace from the beginning and get some shooting and slimming heading practice in and ffs inswingers from corners not slow depressing high hello goalkeeper this is for you balls!

6 games left leave it all on the park for these every last one of them games that are left! That is what is needed.

Surely those pigeons that land on the pitch and put us out of our stride need shot?
Scattergun in full effect, at least I almost broke into a smile reading this thread.

For what it's worth, I know a player who worked with Rae and said he was a good coach but a poor manager.

Back