Referees - how to redress the situation?

AriseSirWalter

Official Ticketer
If you don’t think the refereeing is a problem then kindly leave this thread to those that do.

We were good today until we conceded a goal that should have been chopped off but there were failings in the team, we can’t have that amount of dominance and not take the lead, the missed pen is another obvious failing, the management team will need to look at those and more but that’s for the management. The fact the team has failings however doesn’t mean that the officiating gets a free pass.

I was going to post this this morning based on the fact that Davis was missing the game because of a tackle that went unpunished so it’s not sour grapes.

The environment in Scottish football is such that referees are intimidated, they are reluctant to give decisions that will have an affect on the result of a match if its to Rangers’ benefit. Sure, they’ll give us numerous pens (St Mirren last season) if the game is done but not ones that will result in Rangers getting more points - Aberdeen during the week, and again today. We even got soft free kicks after the pen wasn’t given, as if Collum was saying ‘I’m not giving you a pen but you can get 2 or 3 soft free kicks 40 yards from goal instead’.

If you’ve read this far I assume you agree, so what can be done about it? Cel’ic fans used physical intimidation on referees previously which is not on, we’re better than that so not for a second suggesting that but how do the fans/club highlight the situation to ensure we get a fair crack of the whip.

In the space of 4 days refereeing decisions have cost us being top of the league and league cup winners. It can’t be allowed to continue. So how do we change it?

Doesn’t help when we have commentary teams backing disgraceful decisions with shite like he doesn’t get that because he is a cheat which is basically what that prick Sutton said today.

If that had been Celtic on the recieving end of those decisions and let’s say someone in their team with a history of diving like Christie was denied two stonewall pens do we think he’d have came away with shite like he did today?

No fucking chance. Was like watching on Celtic TV today and over on the other channel we have Andy Walker and there’s nothing really in that when ever a Rangers player fouled.

We need to call out all bad decisions, even in the games we canter.

Absolutely nothing will be made of the offside goal, I mean that’s the easiest offside decision for a linesman to make ‘dead ball into the box’. Look at the penalty (as poor as a strike it was) it should’ve been retaken.

We should also have had another 2 penalties. Morelos should have been booked for persistent fouling at least but that’s about it.

I’m convinced we are being cheated, Beaton the other night and the officials today. Yet we will sit and say nothing as usual, season after season we mention the shocking refereeing decisions against us, nothing is said.

Aribo, 18 stitches in a head wound, cardoso, broken nose, and countless other assaults. Scottish football is full of hammer throwing bastards, skill is literally getting kicked out of the game up here and officials seem to encourage it.

Stevie G can start by calling them out,he had many chances last season but chose not too after he got ridiculed after his comments after the first game last season.
He should have hammered Beaton on Wednesday after the challenge on Davis and i'd like to think he'll hammer the linesman today in his next press conference.

Employ an ex referee from outside Scotland.
Get him on every platform going, highlighting the 'errors' on a weekly basis.
Lennon got in the 'officials' heads during the week.

Stevie G can start by calling them out,he had many chances last season but chose not too after he got ridiculed after his comments after the first game last season.
He should have hammered Beaton on Wednesday after the challenge on Davis and i'd like to think he'll hammer the linesman today in his next press conference.

Stevie G is about the only person who can bring major attention, but I suspect up here it will be palmed off in the usual manner.
We need media help to correct it, it won't come anytime soon.

When decisions were going against the tarries a few years back it resulted in a referee strike

When was the last time they were ever on the receiving end of a bad refereeing decision?

figure that one out

Employ an ex referee from outside Scotland.
Get him on every platform going, highlighting the 'errors' on a weekly basis.
Lennon got in the 'officials' heads during the week.

What platforms?
BT is a version of sellick tv with sutton, clyde is just fucking clyde...........this is a much harder fight than folk realise.

What platforms?
BT is a version of sellick tv with sutton, clyde is just fucking clyde...........this is a much harder fight than folk realise.
Social media, radio outlets and TV. Make the news, get him in the next press conference every time a decision goes against us. Phone into ref check on a Monday.

Social media, radio outlets and TV. Make the news, get him in the next press conference every time a decision goes against us. Phone into ref check on a Monday.

Yeah. thats the outlets that would prove of value, but try getting them onside.

Look at the papers tomorrow, see how many of them run with main story being an offside goal.
Had we won in that fashion, you could bet your life on the VAR type image filling the pages.

We need friends, right now we have none.

Stevie G is about the only person who can bring major attention, but I suspect up here it will be palmed off in the usual manner.
We need media help to correct it, it won't come anytime soon.
I’ve said for years we needed to build relationships in the media. We can’t force them to print stuff. Banning them doesn’t make them print stuff. It needs to be part of a strategy

Yeah. thats the outlets that would prove of value, but try getting them onside.

Look at the papers tomorrow, see how many of them run with main story being an offside goal.
Had we won in that fashion, you could bet your life on the VAR type image filling the pages.

We need friends, right now we have none.
Respectively disagree. We will never have friends, so what have we got to lose.

The problem is we're not willing to sink as low as they will (which is a good thing). I wouldn't want the private lives of referees being scrutinised and multiple death threats being issued after every bad decision against us. These people don't have a moral compass.

When decisions were going against the tarries a few years back it resulted in a referee strike

When was the last time they were ever on the receiving end of a bad refereeing decision?

figure that one out

Posted on another thread that the only Timmy meltdown in recent years over a decision was the handball in the League Cup final against Ross County.

Before the referee strike they came thick and fast.

The problem is we're not willing to sink as low as they will (which is a good thing). I wouldn't want the private lives of referees being scrutinised and multiple death threats being issued after every bad decision against us. These people don't have a moral compass.
Sadly our sporting tradition, no longer serves us well. This is a dirty cultural war we are in. Lennon got into the 'officials' heads about one bad decision and guess who got it. We are rank amateur. I have tempered my language for fear of a ban.

So how does your plan work without friends in the media?

Think about it ffs.
Do we have any? How likely are we to get any? Lennon got into the officials head about one mistake, guess who benefits? Our sporting tradition is no longer fit for Scotland 2019.

Do we have any? How likely are we to get any? Lennon got into the officials head about one mistake, guess who benefits? Our sporting tradition is no longer fit for Scotland 2019.

So tell us and the board how your plan works.

Mate, I've no reason to fall out on this subject, but we have no easy solution when we have so few friends in the media.

Mate, I've no reason to fall out on this subject, but we have no easy solution when we have so few friends in the media.
This forum is about opinions. So no problem. I have already gave some examples. There are better mind's than me out there but I want us to be willing to get down and dirty.

If you don’t think the refereeing is a problem then kindly leave this thread to those that do.

We were good today until we conceded a goal that should have been chopped off but there were failings in the team, we can’t have that amount of dominance and not take the lead, the missed pen is another obvious failing, the management team will need to look at those and more but that’s for the management. The fact the team has failings however doesn’t mean that the officiating gets a free pass.

I was going to post this this morning based on the fact that Davis was missing the game because of a tackle that went unpunished so it’s not sour grapes.

The environment in Scottish football is such that referees are intimidated, they are reluctant to give decisions that will have an affect on the result of a match if its to Rangers’ benefit. Sure, they’ll give us numerous pens (St Mirren last season) if the game is done but not ones that will result in Rangers getting more points - Aberdeen during the week, and again today. We even got soft free kicks after the pen wasn’t given, as if Collum was saying ‘I’m not giving you a pen but you can get 2 or 3 soft free kicks 40 yards from goal instead’.

If you’ve read this far I assume you agree, so what can be done about it? Cel’ic fans used physical intimidation on referees previously which is not on, we’re better than that so not for a second suggesting that but how do the fans/club highlight the situation to ensure we get a fair crack of the whip.

In the space of 4 days refereeing decisions have cost us being top of the league and league cup winners. It can’t be allowed to continue. So how do we change it?
All referees must declare their allegiance. If it’s us or tims or Hamilton accies who cares? They still get distributed the same amount of games as normal. Only after a decent sample of games could you ever have evidence someone is biased or not

All referees must declare their allegiance. If it’s us or tims or Hamilton accies who cares? They still get distributed the same amount of games as normal. Only after a decent sample of games could you ever have evidence someone is biased or not

figure that one out
They very nearly went on strike last season. Ffs, look at the stick the ref got for chopping off a goal for celtic last season on the basis of aye he was offside but only a wee bit.

As rule I don't think k refs and linesman are biased,that's not to say there are not any rotten apples in the barrel.
However there has been some blatantly bad decisions going against us so the situation needs addressing.
They know there is no comeback if we are on the end of a bad decision so are more likely not to give us any benefit of the doubts.IE,the penalty we didn't get on Wednesday,he knew it was a foul he was 3 yards away,but no penalty?Today's decisions speak for themselves.
I think we should present all this video evidence to the SFA and the refereeing committee,it won't help what has historically happened but might make them think twice if we are constantly in their ear.

There should be people at the club with solutions but unfortunately we don’t have anyone.
I suggest they start employing them pronto before we’re shafted further.

As rule I don't think k refs and linesman are biased,that's not to say there are not any rotten apples in the barrel.
However there has been some blatantly bad decisions going against us so the situation needs addressing.
They know there is no comeback if we are on the end of a bad decision so are more likely not to give us any benefit of the doubts.IE,the penalty we didn't get on Wednesday,he knew it was a foul he was 3 yards away,but no penalty?Today's decisions speak for themselves.
I think we should present all this video evidence to the SFA and the refereeing committee,it won't help what has historically happened but might make them think twice if we are constantly in their ear.

They're not rotten apples, they're just scared to give marginal decisions against them due to the repercussions.

If you want to redress the situation you have to act like them, not sure many Rangers fans actually want that.

But you have to have players/management come out and say they were cheated, you have to have players/management come out putting pressure on refs before and after games, you have to highlight every blatantly wrong incident and decision.

Its the exact same with the blatantly bias press, it needs highlighted, the club needs to go into a war of words, it needs to threaten to pull on BT or SKY or whomever.

None of that will happen though.

If you want to redress the situation you have to act like them, not sure many Rangers fans actually want that.

But you have to have players/management come out and say they were cheated, you have to have players/management come out putting pressure on refs before and after games, you have to highlight every blatantly wrong incident and decision.

Its the exact same with the blatantly bias press, it needs highlighted, the club needs to go into a war of words, it needs to threaten to pull on BT or SKY or whomever.

None of that will happen though.

Gerrard has called out bad decisions, it gets mainly laughed off in the Scottish media.

We need friends willing to publish, we have none.

They're not rotten apples, they're just scared to give marginal decisions against them due to the repercussions.
Which makes them cowards who are afraid of intimidation and should speak out but again they won’t so carry on with their double standards and their nice pay cheques.

Which makes them cowards who are afraid of intimidation and should speak out but again they won’t so carry on with their double standards and their nice pay cheques.

Cowards is the best description we have for them.

Nothing will change soon until we have friends in the press that are willing to push a neutral agenda.

We finish the chances we create and then the referee becomes irrelevant. The refereeing will always be poor so take care of what we can and stop it having an impact.

Apparently we do it behind the scenes.
We are in a modern era and decisions like today cost us a trophy.
Make no mistake the refs are shite scared to give a decision that helps us over fear of the pedo meltdown.
It's far easier to apologize to us than give us a decision that is right.

I wish I knew but something needs to be done about it as it's not a level playing field, Gerrard surely knows that as well, it's costing us badly and they get away with it with no repercussions.

You won’t see VAR well I’d be surprised because the Tim’s will be fcuked all there dodgy decisions and pape referees are caught out.
We have to start calling them out as of now yesterday’s officiating was as bad as it gets it’s blatant cheating.

I thought Willie Collum had a good first half.

2nd? He lost it. There were big decisions to make - and he got them all wrong apart from the penalty he did give. I honestly felt there were 2 other pens. One of which he had a perfect view of.

Only 3 offside at the goal.

His use of cards was inconsistent.

I think refs in Scotland are the biggest issue in Scottish football.

Yes, we threw away a 2 goal lead at the sheep. Yes, we allowed ourselves to be dragged down to their level.

Hearts away, Livi away - 2 "big strikers" get motm, neither score.............both foul all day long.
Cosgrove on Wednesday.

Teams can play a physical game if they like - that's up to them. But, the refereeing should be consistent with other leagues. The days of "You can get away with that domestically - but not in Europe" should not be happening now. It doesn't in England any more.

The "We're Scottish and that's how we play" mantra is dragging us down. 21 years since an international tourney................the world has moved on, Scottish football hasn't really.

In the last 2 games against that mhob, McGregor has had 4 bookable offences - and received 1 yellow.

Kamara's booking yesterday was correct - but, it was the same as the other week at Hamilton but Morelos got booked for reacting (Frimpong reacted too).

Cosgrove substituted at Ibrox when 5-0 down before he was sent off.

Penalty in the same game - Madden gave the penalty but should have been a red too like yesterday.

This is standard stuff! But our refs make inconsistent decisions.

Last edited:
Unfortunately we are going to have to sink that low, when fighting sewer rats you have to go down to their level to hurt them, if we don't we are getting nowhere and this shit isn't stopping.
IMO this is what we must do, investigate their private lives, harass the officials who persistently cheat us, constantly call them out at press conferences, and from the terraces have ex players call them out, the club and the support need to make these cheating bastards feel so uncomfortable when officiating at our games, these actions need to be led by the supporters organisations.
As for the club, writing letters asking for explanations and accepting apologies, %^*& that, call them out Rangers, it is the very least the club should be doing.

We finish the chances we create and then the referee becomes irrelevant. The refereeing will always be poor so take care of what we can and stop it having an impact.

There is no way in the foreseeable future Rangers are going to be so far ahead we can ignore the sort of decisions we’ve seen in the last two matches.

There is no way in the foreseeable future Rangers are going to be so far ahead we can ignore the sort of decisions we’ve seen in the last two matches.
We should have been yesterday if we’d taken our chances. Our inability to finish cost us more than the offside decision did.

Unfortunately we are going to have to sink that low, when fighting sewer rats you have to go down to their level to hurt them, if we don't we are getting nowhere and this shit isn't stopping.
IMO this is what we must do, investigate their private lives, harass the officials who persistently cheat us, constantly call them out at press conferences, and from the terraces have ex players call them out, the club and the support need to make these cheating bastards feel so uncomfortable when officiating at our games, these actions need to be led by the supporters organisations.
As for the club, writing letters asking for explanations and accepting apologies, %^*& that, call them out Rangers, it is the very least the club should be doing.

I don't want us to ever sink to their level to be honest. As painful as it is watching them win I'd rather we did it without resorting to what they do.

I’m not so sure.

The whole refereeing structure was restructured secretly after the referee strike with several referees fast tracked. Ever since then there has been a clear imbalance in officiating. No doubt it’s the possible repercussions that make some cheat but for others I’m reckon it’s because they want to.

That match proves that foreign referees and assistants are an absolute necessity in Scottish Cup/League Cup finals. It won't happen though. However, at least we should call for it to highlight the 'poor' or even biased standard of referrering here.

I have been a supporter for 54 years and while I admired our dignified silence on these matters in the past these are completely different times.The hatred and prejudice towards us and our very existence including pressure from certain clubs 'influencing' referrering is now so evident we need to challenge it.

By the way we must be viewed as a footballing backwater by certain countries for not having VAR at least in a final. Maybe VAR will show up.the poor standard of referrering.here.

Officials know that if they give a bad decisions against us they will get abuse from the stands and at worst a statement released by the club.

If they give a bad decision against the scum then their phone number and home address get published online and they and their families safety is threatened.

Other than sinking to their level I don't know how we can change things.

We should have been yesterday if we’d taken our chances. Our inability to finish cost us more than the offside decision did.

Mate, as said in the first line of the OP, if you don’t think refereeing is an issue then there’s no point being in this thread. There are plenty of others where you can discuss our inability to take chances.

With all due respect attitudes like yours in terms of refereeing is why we are on the receiving end of decisions like this, we’re too happy to brush it off.

Our inability to take chances meant we didn’t win but refereeing decisions meant we got beat! You might not agree but why try to dissuade others who think it’s an issue?

As mentioned above were not going to be in a position anytime soon where we could confidently say we’ll beat them regardless of poor decisions against us (and nor should we have to) so it’s a pertinent issue.

Latest posts

Back