Who takes next penalty?

Ricksey

Hard to know what happens next. Does Alfie get another chance to take a penalty? It was really a poor penalty today. Or do we go back to Tav?

Tav does. Just as he should have been left on penalties for today.

No question it is now a dilemma for the Manager though. I suspect he made the call weeks ago thinking another penalty would come along soon, not that it would be in the Cup Final with us a goal down. Huge pressure on whoever takes the next one now - and I’d revert to Tav.

Not sure, but if we miss it, Tavernier gets the blame regardless who hit it.

Joking aside, Barisic or Kamara for me as they both have composure.
Someone who can place a ball. I think Barisic as well. Dont think Davis has ever been a penalty taker has he?

wonder if jermaine defoe would have taken the penalty had he been on at the time, im certain he would have slammed it in the net

Certainly not Alfie.

Blasting over the bar aside, that was one of the worst penalties at this level that I've ever seen a striker take.

Hes not a penalty taker. You need to be able to send a keeper the wrong way sometimes, Alfie just leathers it. This is a problem that needs sorted.

For me, Barisic. I would like to know how the decision was reached for Alfredo to take the penalty? Did we practice and Alfredo was the best? Tav should have been bursting to take that after Suttons comments. I think the whole thing is a shambles, with both players having a doubt over them on penalties. I don't like saying this but I have my doubts about Tavs captaincy.

Last edited:
Certainly not Alfie.

Blasting over the bar aside, that was one of the worst penalties at this level that I've ever seen a striker take.

Why the need for compete and utter hyperbole? If I read this without seeing the penalty I’m thinking he’s tried a paneka and the keeper just stood there and caught it. Or he’s slipped and barely caught the ball and it’s trickled along and into the keepers hands.

You see penalties like Morelos’s all the time. It’s a poor penalty but it’s absolute shite to suggest it’s one of the worst penalties you’ve seen at that level unless you’ve only ever watched 10 top flight games.

As for who should be on the next one, why on earth would it go back to Tav? If he wasn’t confident enough to stay on them then why would he go on them now?

Tav was very consistent - he just needs to sink a couple more to get that back.

Alfie didn’t believe he could score. It was an easy save for a keeper of that quality.

Would like to see Barisic get a chance, he is the best striker of a dead ball we have

The stats don’t suggest Borna. Give him a hit from 20 yards, for sure, but when it comes to penalties he’s missed 2 out of 6. That’s not great.

It's quite simple: the manager decides beforehand who takes the penalties . If his 1st choice isn't available for whatever reason, then he designates the 2nd and 3rd alternatives. No arguing, no disputing, amongst the players - its the managers call and his alone.

Barisic, only one who seems to know how to control a dead ball. (Apart from a few deliveries today)

Hard to know what happens next. Does Alfie get another chance to take a penalty? It was really a poor penalty today. Or do we go back to Tav?
Morelos.
Give him the spot-kicks.
He is the striker, it should be a strikers job.
Sure he won't score them all, but he will soon become accustomed to the pressure and he will score plenty.

In the absence of a reliable centre forward, and figuring the SFA might have a problem with our manager hitting them for us, I’d revert back to Tav. He was reliable up until this season, hopefully his confidence will come back. We’ve brought this on ourselves a bit by our criticism of the lad when we didn’t have a better option to replace him.

Morelos.
Give him the spot-kicks.
He is the striker, it should be a strikers job.
Sure he won't score them all, but he will soon become accustomed to the pressure and he will score plenty.

Today wasn’t even a decent attempt though. Tav’s misses have mostly been ‘reasonable’ penalties that are an inch or two away from being goals.

Tav does. Just as he should have been left on penalties for today.

No question it is now a dilemma for the Manager though. I suspect he made the call weeks ago thinking another penalty would come along soon, not that it would be in the Cup Final with us a goal down. Huge pressure on whoever takes the next one now - and I’d revert to Tav.
Tav all day long ...him not taking that today cost us victory

It's quite simple: the manager decides beforehand who takes the penalties . If his 1st choice isn't available for whatever reason, then he designates the 2nd and 3rd alternatives. No arguing, no disputing, amongst the players - its the managers call and his alone.
Did the manager not say it was upto the captain.

Yes, and?

Personally I wouldn’t have Morelos anywhere near the penalties, and that’s a line I’ve taken long before today. I simply don’t think he’s a particularly ‘clean’ striker of the ball - despite some spectacular goals. Great striker but not a penalties man.

Tav and Defoe both have long and decent records - but both have missed close to 1 in 3. Morelos has now missed 2 of 5. Barisic has missed 2 of 6. Davis has missed 2 of 6 as well. Most of the rest have never taken one.

On that basis I’d revert to Tav, with Defoe as back-up if on the pitch. After that it’s very much a lottery. Probably Davis for me.

Personally I wouldn’t have Morelos anywhere near the penalties, and that’s a line I’ve taken long before today. I simply don’t think he’s a particularly ‘clean’ striker of the ball - despite some spectacular goals. Great striker but not a penalties man.

Tav and Defoe both have long and decent records - but both have missed close to 1 in 3. Morelos has now missed 2 of 5. Barisic has missed 2 of 6. Davis has missed 2 of 6 as well. Most of the rest have never taken one.

On that basis I’d revert to Tav, with Defoe as back-up if on the pitch. After that it’s very much a lottery. Probably Davis for me.
I take it you have looked into the stats.
I take your point about Alfie and his striking of the ball.
However, Alfie is an emerging young striker and he needs to learn to take penalties in my opinion, and the best way to do this is to take them in games.
Tav had a good run, but I think every time he misses it impacts on his game so for that reason I would take him off them.
Alfie will shrug off today's miss and score on Thursday, he is that type of character, and that is how most top strikers are.

That is why I prefer strikers to take penalties, most strikers can carry that sort of responsibility, after all, it is in their part of the pitch.

I’d like Kent or Barisic given then chance. But felt Tav should have stepped up today.

I take it you have looked into the stats.
I take your point about Alfie and his striking of the ball.
However, Alfie is an emerging young striker and he needs to learn to take penalties in my opinion, and the best way to do this is to take them in games.
Tav had a good run, but I think every time he misses it impacts on his game so for that reason I would take him off them.
Alfie will shrug off today's miss and score on Thursday, he is that type of character, and that is how most top strikers are.

That is why I prefer strikers to take penalties, most strikers can carry that sort of responsibility, after all, it is in their part of the pitch.

If he needs to learn then let him take them when they don’t matter, eg when the games already won or in the early stages of the cup competitions. 2 missed out of 5 is poor for anybody, never mind a striker. We can’t afford to take that sort of gamble in important matches.

Back