Uefa Boss saying season could be lost if not restarted (BBC)

Famous RFC

Null and void getting closer. UEFA boss starting to say if they can’t complete the games with crowds or behind closed doors them the season could be scrapped.

Uefa president Aleksander Ceferin says the current football season could be lost if it cannot be restarted by the end of June.

Most leagues in Europe are suspended because of the coronavirus pandemic, with this summer's Euro 2020 tournament postponed for another year.

Ceferin says seasons could be finished behind closed doors.

"If we don't succeed in restarting, the season will probably be lost," the Slovenian said.

He told Italian newspaper La Repubblica: "There is a plan A, B and C.

"The three options are to start again in mid-May, in June or at the end of June.

"There is also the possibility of starting again at the beginning of the next [season], starting the following one later. We will see the best solution for leagues and clubs."

As it stands there are nine games to be completed by the majority of Premier League clubs, and up to 12 in the Football League.

All football in England is suspended until at least 30 April.

Premier League, EFL & PFA say 'difficult decisions' to come for clubs
What next for football as cracks begin to appear?
Ceferin says that playing remaining games behind closed doors would have to be an option across Europe.

"It's hard for me to imagine all the matches behind closed doors, but we still don't know whether we'll resume, with or without spectators," he said.

"If there was no alternative, it would be better to finish the championships."

I don’t think its even a debate now? How the hell can we honestly think of starting football matches in the likes of Italy and now Spain with the 1000’s soon to be 10,000’s of deaths? Plus the UK’s death total is zooming up too. FFS someone please have the balls to stand up and say its OVER!

Null and void is the only answer and then start next season’s European tournaments either the same teams as started this years

new draw - same teams

There is no chance the out of contract players will agree to any extension of the season that would result in them having to play beyond end of their contract.

There will be no possibility of any football until July at earliest and that's even assuming our lockdown gets lifted in June (as indicated this morning), with time for a pre season etc.

Common sense is to void this season and start preparing for next season and sorting out all the commercial agreements, European qualifying etc.

Next season's UCL and Europa League could be restructured to include those still in this year's competitions plus those currently in qualifying positions for them for next season. In the UK, scrap relegation this year but promote clubs in promotable positions and upweight relegation numbers at the end of next season to readjust. Scrap the League Cups for a season to allow space for the extra fixtures. Not that any of this feels particularly important or relevant at the moment.

given that they are now saying this is going to get worse before it gets better and could Last until June then null and void would be best

The only way this season will finish is if next season starts very late and is somehow significantly shortened.

So what are clubs supposed to do with player who are out of contract at the end of May? All but 9 of Sunderland's players are out of contract in the summer...do they make do with playing the kids?

Stop procrastinating and admit there's no more football this season.

You can forget putting this season at the start of next as well. Who is going to pay to see their team start a a new season with a sequence of games many points behind opponents.

Null and void getting closer. UEFA boss starting to say if they can’t complete the games with crowds or behind closed doors them the season could be scrapped.

Uefa president Aleksander Ceferin says the current football season could be lost if it cannot be restarted by the end of June.

Most leagues in Europe are suspended because of the coronavirus pandemic, with this summer's Euro 2020 tournament postponed for another year.

Ceferin says seasons could be finished behind closed doors.

"If we don't succeed in restarting, the season will probably be lost," the Slovenian said.

He told Italian newspaper La Repubblica: "There is a plan A, B and C.

"The three options are to start again in mid-May, in June or at the end of June.

"There is also the possibility of starting again at the beginning of the next [season], starting the following one later. We will see the best solution for leagues and clubs."

As it stands there are nine games to be completed by the majority of Premier League clubs, and up to 12 in the Football League.

All football in England is suspended until at least 30 April.

Premier League, EFL & PFA say 'difficult decisions' to come for clubs
What next for football as cracks begin to appear?
Ceferin says that playing remaining games behind closed doors would have to be an option across Europe.

"It's hard for me to imagine all the matches behind closed doors, but we still don't know whether we'll resume, with or without spectators," he said.

"If there was no alternative, it would be better to finish the championships."

Just more of the same old rhetoric, in fact he actually states the season could restart at end of June, which flies in the face of previous statement that the season MUST be completed by 30 June.

It is plain to see that football authorities are stonewalling. They do not want to be rushed into a corner and make a rash decision that they may later regret. However it is as clear as day that "null and void" is not yet anywhere near the table. IMHO only interventions from governments, insisting no spectator sport allowed before August would force UEFA to call season 2019/20 null and void.

Last edited:
He hasnt really said anything definite there.
" There is a plan A, B & C"

I agree mate, but at the same time the person who fills the most senior position in UEFA is now using language that makes null and void more credible.

That is a bit of a step change.

Though still, in the context of the problems in the world this is pretty low down the priority list for me.

Wish UEFA would just get the situation dealt with and put their resources to helping stop the spread of the pandemic further.

Reads like they don’t have a clue

Agree, he says there’s an option A,B and C. He then goes on to discuss a further option.

It’s guesswork.

They need to be stating that nothing can happen and no decisions can be made until we have a grip of this deadly virus. Defeating this horrendous virus has to be the priority.

You cannot have season n&v everybody back to start then want coefficient table to stand. That sounds like cake and eat it.

As someone else already said, those have already been played for and won. It would be like n&v the League Cup here. No matter how much that would amuse us, it wouldn't be particularly fair.

just pull the pin on it, they can’t even think a bout playing games when there’s thousands dying each day across Europe,

We’ve only just passed the thousand mark with the Health Officer saying we’ll be doing well to keep it below 20,00 so the full lockdown in this country has still to come.

UEFA will make the final decision. The bheasts have been trying to pressure the SFA and SPL to award them the title, but even Doncaster knows this would lead to mayhem.
Celtic are favourite for the Scottish cup. Will Aberdeen, Hearts and Hibs agree to award the cup to them ? I somehow doubt it. It's funny that the 3 previously mentioned clubs fans agree the league should be awarded to the bheasts, but not the cup.

Madness to suggest otherwise. Its all good some players maintaining a level of fitness, but not all clubs can afford to dish out top of the range home gym monitoring equipment. No team involvement whatsoever (see how bad pre-seasons are).

All that whilst a health pandemic is sweeping the county. When is it safe to mingle, assumedly when ALL cases are gone and not just over the peak, otherwise we start all over again?

All of that isn't happening by June. Hell no

i am a bit dubious the have all of a sudden developed the ability to see the actual reality - there is no way they could have ever completed this season and it’s been like that since Europe started to get locked down and the virus with no cure was killing thousands

Hopefully they will announce soon that football is indefinitely suspended leagues all void and ask people to concentrate on what’s most important, trying to stay safe and come through the other side of this world pandemic.

I don’t think its even a debate now? How the hell can we honestly think of starting football matches in the likes of Italy and now Spain with the 1000’s soon to be 10,000’s of deaths? Plus the UK’s death total is zooming up too. FFS someone please have the balls to stand up and say its OVER!

theres scientists saying the place will be up and running again for easter. same lines as what trumps saying to. its bonkers man.

I dont think anyone can have any idea how this will play out. If virus cases keep going up it it will be months before any kind of normality can be resumed.

UEFA will make the final decision. The bheasts have been trying to pressure the SFA and SPL to award them the title, but even Doncaster knows this would lead to mayhem.
Celtic are favourite for the Scottish cup. Will Aberdeen, Hearts and Hibs agree to award the cup to them ? I somehow doubt it. It's funny that the 3 previously mentioned clubs fans agree the league should be awarded to the bheasts, but not the cup.

A very good point. The useful idiots from other clubs left in the Cup all want the title to be awarded to that mob just to spite Rangers, but would go mad if the same scenario happened in the Cup.

Not sure where you are getting null and void from that OP?? He is even suggesting playing the remaining games at the start of next season!!

I read that 3 EPL teams including Liverpool are due to change shirt sponsor on July 1st so not sure how that would work out if they break existing contracts and attempt to turn out in new kits for season 19/20.

All gonna get messy either way and a lot of money will be lost, but more important matters to hand.

The way this virus is spreading and killing thousands worldwide it’s only going to get worse and I have no idea how Sport will restart

The timescales are not under anyone’s control and UEFA have no idea how long this can go on

SomePlayers will also go out of contract in June

The world has bigger issues to worry about. Peoples lives are at risk so we need to focus on staying safe

Exactly.
The ne
So what are clubs supposed to do with player who are out of contract at the end of May? All but 9 of Sunderland's players are out of contract in the summer...do they make do with playing the kids?

Xt

Exactly
The next transfer window will be open for half an hour the way things are going.

I really can't see how the current season can continue, I get that on here we'll have blue tinted glasses on but I really can't.

At best say we started back in June, you've got what 3 months of the season to play? I guess you could possibly fit that into two months, but players will need a mini pre season before the season restarts as they would have had basically 4 months of little football, so that would push the start date even further back.

This current season would run well into next season, which would in turn make that season run late then you've got Euro 2020 at the end of that season. Have we invented some sort of machine that can control time?

Euro 2020 and Nations League qualifiers could be postponed since the tournament has been postponed I suppose. Qualification for the Champions League and Europa League basically starts when you would be playing this season, so how would that work? How would club European football look next season?

Then you've got the issue of player contracts ending at the end of May.

I really can't see how the current season can continue, I get that on here we'll have blue tinted glasses on but I really can't.

At best say we started back in June, you've got what 3 months of the season to play? I guess you could possibly fit that into two months, but players will need a mini pre season before the season restarts as they would have had basically 4 months of little football, so that would push the start date even further back.

Euro 2020 and Nations League qualifiers could be postponed since the tournament has been postponed I suppose. Qualification for the Champions League and Europa League basically starts when you would be playing this season, so how would that work? How would club European football look next season?

Then you've got the issue of player contracts ending at the end of May.

The obvious problem to restarting the season should be that there is next to no chance that every team squad is 100% clear of the virus not just for the restart but for the duration of the conclusion. Never gonna happen - even behind closed doors.

The obvious problem to restarting the season should be that there is next to no chance that every team squad is 100% clear of the virus not just for the restart but for the duration of the conclusion. Never gonna happen - even behind closed doors.

Yeah, forgot to mention that as well, there is just no chance of it restarting.

I posted similar Friday/Saturday mate,when the death toll in Italy was a few numbers off 10,000 deaths 10,000 dead ,cant anybody in the football world sit down shut up and let that sink in?that's grandad's,grandma's,mum's dad's son's daughters,I truly love the game and the RANGERS,but Jesus you have to look at Italy,then Spain and start to fear for our own people,and some chunts are worried they can't finish a football season GTF!

theres talk today off this lockdown lasting 3 months so that takes us to end of june. they then say social distancing could last until september . all it takes is 1 player from 1 team to get it then it puts that team into isolation and makes a mockery of the fixtures still to be played.

Back