Jack Grealish

The Pontiac Bandit

He must be the most overrated player of all time.

He is 25 and his career has been average at best yet the commentators and English fans go on like he is the 2nd coming of Gazza.

He isn’t of the level of Foden or Sancho yet they both never received the fanfare that he got.

Bizarre.

He is 25 and his career has been average at best yet the commentators and English fans go on like he is the 2nd coming of Gazza.

He isn’t of the level of Foden or Sancho yet they both never received the fanfare that he got.

Bizarre.
Disagree.

Criminally under used by Southgate. He's box office and improved England every time he came on.

I think he is a good player.

But his main strength seems to be winning free kicks. Which isn’t exactly the biggest strength you want in an attacking player.

He maybe should take a leaf out of Gazzas book and be powerful dribbling past people. Be determined to get past them to create a chance rather than collapsing

I watched him in all the games he played decent player but didn't play well against Italy at all Sterling the same who I thought had an excellent tournament.
Harry Kane looks slow and laboured in every game he's played surprised he's featured so much.

Reactions: TQ3
I think he has been overhyped a tad but in saying that he has been dangerous when he was given time on the pitch in the euros
Maybe Southgate was hesitant to put him on due to him not being the best on the defensive side as within a few minutes of him being on Italy had a good chance on his side when there was an overlap and he was nowhere to be seen.
I do think he has been decent with the few cameos he has had, will be interesting to see if he does get a move and how he will do in a better team.

I’ve not seen enough if I’m honest. They do go on like he’s Gazza right enough! If he was anywhere near Gazza he’d have a few more medals! He probably needs to move on to fulfil the potential.

I think he is a decent player, but certainly doesn’t have the metaphorical balls required. You want to wear number 7 for your national team you put yourself forward for a penalty and make sure the manager knows that.

Exactly what I thought. The comparisons to Gazza are strange. Winning free-kicks has become a supposed talent now apparently.

No doubt a good player but after beating a man his first thought is going down, not continuing on.

Imagine Grealish moving forward with the ball against Aberdeen for 8 in a row. He'd fall over as soon as the opposition player breathed on him. That's the difference.

Bizarre.
stay off the beer . great player who would have been starting with any other country.
i'm not going to critisize england or southgate after only losing the final on penalties but grealish really should have been found a berth in that side . pegs for holes perhaps and a wealth of talent for too few spots but it was obvious the contribution he made every time he came on

Grealish doesn't suit the way England play, really. The difference between him and Sterling in terms of effectiveness is huge.

In games where they're dominating the ball and need someone to open a team up, he's going to be useful - should probably have started against Scotland.

Good player but when he's not firing he can be a bit of a luxury. That was why Southgate was reluctant to start him in games. Nothing to do with ability but more due to what Southgate would see as productivity.

He's a great player and was criminally underused by Southgate. He might not be the best defensively, so put him in the hole where he doesn't need to defend.

Southgate has some of the best young attacking talent in world football at his disposal yet doesn't know how to use them. Grealish, Rashford, Sancho & Foden hardly getting a look in tells you all you need to know about Southgate's boring approach.

I think he has been overhyped a tad but in saying that he has been dangerous when he was given time on the pitch in the euros
Maybe Southgate was hesitant to put him on due to him not being the best on the defensive side as within a few minutes of him being on Italy had a good chance on his side when there was an overlap and he was nowhere to be seen.
I do think he has been decent with the few cameos he has had, will be interesting to see if he does get a move and how he will do in a better team.

And that right there is Southgate's main issue. Far too defensive minded given the attacking options in that side. It's criminal actually.

England scored last night then never had another shot on target the entire game.

They have Kane, Sterling, Foden, Sancho, Rashford, Saka, Grealish all available.

Awful management. I know he's a likeable chap and I actually felt quite sorry for him after the penalty defeat last night, but Southgate is the luckiest England manager in my lifetime. In the last two tournaments the only good team they've beat is Germany. Luck of the draw - especially this year when they somehow managed to get 6/7 games at home.

Under used in that campaign. Thought Englands right side was their weakness all competition albeit Trippier crossed for the goal, and their left was the strongest. Grealish is a fantastic player.

Disagree.

Criminally under used by Southgate. He's box office and improved England every time he came on.

I agree he was under used and is very talented. However I don’t see what him being box office is based on. The reality is that if his career ended tomorrow he’d be remembered for being a talented lad that fell over a lot. Nothing more.

Grealish is a good player in a position where England have an abundance of good players. Attacking midfielders and inside forwards? England have those. What they don't have is a midfielder who'll link the play between defence, midfield and attack. Rice and Phillips sit quite deep so they can protect the defence and link defence and midfield, but the gap ahead of them is massive. That allows a team like Italy to control midfield and essentially take the English forwards out the game. Grealish isnt the guy to change that. He doesnt work well enough as a proper 3rd midfielder. I'm not sure that Mount does either. Henderson is really just another deep lying midfielder option and they already have those in Rice and Phillips.

England need midfielders. I think Sterling is a weak link because he doesnt track back to support his midfield. If you're playing with 2 central midfielders then that leaves them liable to being overwhelmed by numbers and unable to do much to win the ball back. There would always be an passing option for the opposition to use. Bellingham may well be the answer to that problem and they could play him as part of a midfield 3 - similar to Rangers playing a midfield 3 and Italy going with 3 in the middle of the park with support for their fullbacks.

Grealish is a good player in a position where England have an abundance of good players. Attacking midfielders and inside forwards? England have those. What they don't have is a midfielder who'll link the play between defence, midfield and attack. Rice and Phillips sit quite deep so they can protect the defence and link defence and midfield, but the gap ahead of them is massive. That allows a team like Italy to control midfield and essentially take the English forwards out the game. Grealish isnt the guy to change that. He doesnt work well enough as a proper 3rd midfielder. I'm not sure that Mount does either. Henderson is really just another deep lying midfielder option and they already have those in Rice and Phillips.

England need midfielders. I think Sterling is a weak link because he doesnt track back to support his midfield. If you're playing with 2 central midfielders then that leaves them liable to being overwhelmed by numbers and unable to do much to win the ball back. There would always be an passing option for the opposition to use. Bellingham may well be the answer to that problem and they could play him as part of a midfield 3 - similar to Rangers playing a midfield 3 and Italy going with 3 in the middle of the park with support for their fullbacks.

I think Mount has the skill set and ability to play the midfield role, and still have tbf attacking threat that was missing.

He's a great player and was criminally underused by Southgate. He might not be the best defensively, so put him in the hole where he doesn't need to defend.

Southgate has some of the best young attacking talent in world football at his disposal yet doesn't know how to use them. Grealish, Rashford, Sancho & Foden hardly getting a look in tells you all you need to know about Southgate's boring approach.

His boring approach got them to the final.

Dont know why they played both Phillip's and rice tho.

Grealish couldn’t provide anything when he came on against Scotland.

I think that tells you all you need to know.

Half decent player but that is all. Be interesting to work out who contributes more to Villa’s midfield - him or McGinn.

I think Mount has the skill set and ability to play the midfield role, and still have tbf attacking threat that was missing.

Thats on the manager then. I'm not sure if Mount could play deeper in a proper midfield role, but it would be good to see Southgate try something because midfield is a serious issue for them. Could even see the midfield 3 being Rice with Bellingham and Mount either side of him if he can play that role.

Bizarre.
Yes, of course he is!
I guess you’re one of those who think Phillips and Rice are overrated as well and that the former had a poor game last night?

Back