"no sign of a reaction towards Maurice Johnston this afternoon"

FlyMo making his debut at Ibrox and was cheered on to the point that Jock Brown on commentary mentioned it both at half time and full time!

Just a wee snippet for the haters looking on!

Flew out to Tenerife the week before when Mo turned out at Airdrie and was at the game at the old Broomfield.

Expected hate n boos but very muted, personally thought he was a great signing and gave 100% every game. Took them years to get over this. Although apparently Walter not so enthusiastic, a master stroke from Souness. Rich

It mustve been a little awkward to say the least for MoJo at the time but I always got the feeling he more than enjoyed making the move and playing for Rangers.

No doubt having a guy like Souness in your corner made it a little more bearable regarding the Scottish Media hoopla.

I had a look at the Spurs line up that day. Other than Gazza and maybe Lineker. there was not any others who would have been a starter in our team.

FlyMo making his debut at Ibrox and was cheered on to the point that Jock Brown on commentary mentioned it both at half time and full time!

Just a wee snippet for the haters looking on!

The truth is mate, the majority didn’t care about his religious background back then the moment he started wearing our colours.

The majority is considerably larger now, time has moved on so much and for the better

There was about four fifths of the England team between the two sides mental to consider what those line ups would cost in today’s market.

Last edited:
Flew out to Tenerife the week before when Mo turned out at Airdrie and was at the game at the old Broomfield.

Expected hate n boos but very muted, personally thought he was a great signing and gave 100% every game. Took them years to get over this. Although apparently Walter not so enthusiastic, a master stroke from Souness. Rich
They haven't got over it

England goalie, RB, CB and captian, ex captain, playmaker and the Scotland front pair about to go to Italia 90.

Biggest club in Britain at the time.

Those were the days.

Souness interview......that's why he's the magnificent bastard. Filthy.

The thing that I always remember about this, aside from Steven's goal and the Gazza stuff, is that our home top didn't have the different shades of squares on it. It's just the same shade of blue throughout.

A real collectors item if anyone happens to have one of these today.

Mojo was my hero growing up along with Walters.

I started supporting us as Mojo signed. I had to connotation of religion or race when I was a nipper. I just liked good players.

BTW media, that's what football fans are like, he was hounded by certain quadrants.

I had a look at the Spurs line up that day. Other than Gazza and maybe Lineker. there was not any others who would have been a starter in our team.

Definitely Lineker. Was at the peak of his powers at this point, and at the end of the season probably the best centre forward at Italia 90.

Outstanding striker, absolutely lightning quick over 10-15 yards and fantastic finisher.

His first competitive game was away to Airdrie, yes there was some media created tension around pre-game time but bears were fine as usual.
Give us 100% and we’ll give you 110% back.
Yep at the game no probs with support - a few said they wouldnt cheer if he scored but that didn't last, we were drinking before game in the airdie OH social club and no adverse comments!

quote from the Gherald

'Maurice Johnston was not only accepted by the huge travelling support -- he
was applauded, cheered, and encouraged almost every time he touched the ball...'

Last edited:
We battered them that day. It deserved to be a more emphatic victory than it was.

What a side we had then though.

Yep at the game no probs with support - a few said they wouldnt cheer if he scored but that didn't last, we were drinking before game in the airdie OH social club and no adverse comments!

quote from the Gherald

'Maurice Johnston was not only accepted by the huge travelling support -- he
was applauded, cheered, and encouraged almost every time he touched the ball...'
It still boils the piss of the media and Scotland’s Rangers haters in general that our support didn’t boo Johnston, didn’t abuse him, didn’t attack him, and that our attendance levels increased if anything after his signing.

All the hard work they had put in to convince Scotland that Rangers signing a Catholic would see significant protests or attacks on the player by the Rangers fans turned out to be a load of cobblers made up by bigots with typewriters.

Yet, Johnston needs to be careful when visiting Glasgow because Catholic Celtic fans still hate him for signing for Rangers 30 years on.

Last edited:
What a line up that was. Money couldn't buy that team now. Thanks for posting HMS T G.
That Rangers side was superb - first one that I saw on a weekly basis and while I’ll always have that emotional attachment… it was a great mixture of internationalists and players who were knocking on the door of international football.

Back