Gerrard to Newcastle, we have seen this movie before

The multi rich who buy football clubs appoint well-established big name managers who have had success at the level they are seeking to achieve. Chelsea were first in with the megabucks and appointed Mourinho, Champions League and UEFA Cup winner. Then the Brazilian World Cup winner.Liverpool appointed Benitez, UEFA Cup winner and 2-time La Liga winner. Man City appointed Sven Goran Erikson, UEFA Cup winner and champion manager in Sweden, Portugal and Italy. Man United got Van Gaal, Champions League Winner.

I personally think no chance of Gerrard going to Newcastle. His values are loyalty and he has learned that through his years experience of offers from Real, Chelsea when at Liverpool as a player.

He's only leaving us for one Club, Liverpool.

Rumours Klopp is going to Barca? One more season of Gerrard. If he wins the treble this year and qualifies for last 16 in Europa and Klopp leaves the Liverpool fans will demand him to be appointed.....

IMHO :D
Klopp has said he'll see out his contract and take a break to travel the world in 2024. He always honours his contracts.

Don't think Gerrard will even be on their radar.

It'll take years and likely loads of managers before their even competing for a top 4 space. Even if they were interested, i doubt Gerrard would leave at this stage. He still has lots to prove

Why what’s wrong with Gazza strip?

127-B15-E6-AA7-D-4-A17-A61-C-DC0-BBE5-F73-BF.jpg
Glad it's not just me then - thats forever known as The Gazza Strip in my mind.

I think SG is a honourable guy and it wouldn't even cross his mind to leave us on the whim of a Saudi Arabian despot.

I can see Jose Mourinho back in the EPL soon though.

Gerrard would be a huge gamble for them because he has no big league management experience.

They will probably go for a guy with lots of big league experience who will know how to spend money without wasting it.

The main reason I could see Gerrard going to an English club would be so that he is closer to his family, Newcastle is still about a 3 hour 15 minute drive from Liverpool and Glasgow is about 3 hours 45 minute drive, so it the drive time is not that much less.

Haven't read five pages of this so don't know if this has been mentioned...but I would like to think Stevie is above going to a club and using their new owners blood money.
From a country that has destroyed Yemen does not allow homosexuality, where adultery is punished by beheading without a fair trial etc etc, surely he wouldn't even consider it.

I'm actually quite concerned by this. He is the next logical choice for a Premiership club. Newcastle are now the wealthiest club in the world apparently. The sky is the limit. It would be very difficult to turn down.
But why, if as you say, Newcastle Utd. are now the 'richest club in the world', presumably with unlimited resources to attract really top echelon managers, opt for Steven Gerrard? Gerrard is still in the broader scheme of things, a relatively inexperienced manager. Instead, would Newcastle not be thinking more along the lines of a Conte who has the kind of CV required to jump-start them into fhe EPL and European elite?

But why, if as you say, Newcastle Utd. are now the 'richest club in the world', presumably with unlimited resources to attract really top echelon managers, opt for Steven Gerrard? Gerrard is still in the broader scheme of things, a relatively inexperienced manager. Instead, would Newcastle not be thinking more along the lines of a Conte who has the kind of CV required to jump-start them into fhe EPL and European elite?
I think this is about credibility for the new owners and having an English Legend like SG would give them that instantly.
SG is a Professional and I think he would find an offer from them as irresistible

A. Not sure Stevie G would manage any other premiership club, going head to head with Liverpool.

B. Suspect they will go world renowned proven manager.

C. Suspect Stevie is an honourable and ethical man and he may have concerns about the owners....

Conclusion; wild tabloid frenzy and shortening odds, mhedia hype intensified up here to destabilise Rangers.

Aye Conte is the one name you could see doing very well very quickly and maybe even challenging the top 2/3 next season.

Remember Souness to Liverpool, that hit us hard, but we had Walter Smith.

I would hope that £mega millions from Saudi billionaires who are using Newcastle as a PR exercise would mean Gerrard exercising caution.

Those Saudi Billionaires, let’s not kid ourselves, could turn his head with their bottomless pit of cash.

I would be especially disappointed in Steven Gerrard if he left, but it could happen, we always knew this.

We should know his mindset soon because his views will be sought especially with the English Media.

I hope the Rangers Board are awake, we will maybe have to look for another Walter Smith.
If he’s offered it, he’ll be off IMHO.
He would be mad not to, tbh.

If he’s offered it, he’ll be off IMHO.
He would be mad not to, tbh.
I don’t think he’d be as lauded by Newcastle fans after their takeover.
They’ll be looking for top, top names.
Previously successful managers at the top clubs.
Maybe Gerrard pre takeover, just not post.

I don’t think he’d be as lauded by Newcastle fans after their takeover.
They’ll be looking for top, top names.
Previously successful managers at the top clubs.
Maybe Gerrard pre takeover, just not post.
Maybe, but I think he would attract a certain calibre of player and have that instant respect. He’s manager of a team that won the league without losing a game.

I don't think it gets much higher profile in the world of football than Steven Gerrard. But I get what you mean, proven CL experience and success etc.

I always thought Steven Gerrard would remain at Rangers until Klopp bows out at Liverpool. And I think he could get the Liverpool job with no experience of managing any other EPL side, any other side at all but Rangers, which some have claimed he has to do before being considered for Liverpool. But, I think he can.

They don't come any more Liverpool than him do they? Grew up locally, supported Liverpool as a kid, joined the Liverpool academy at age 9 and worked his way all through to the captaincy and the miracle of Istanbul.

He stuck with them through thick and thin when he could have played for any team in the world. Winning more honours at say the likes of Chelsea and probably more money too. But at the end of the day stuck with his beloved Liverpool his entire career. I don't count that year in the US at the end as part of his career. He's a one club man.

He has a young family, I don't think he would want to move to the continent. That could only leave maybe a Championship side but that would be a step back now. Better off getting Euro football at Rangers.

In addition to that I don't think he would even want to manage any EPL side but Liverpool. Alex Ferguson said that he was once offered the England job and that it was extremely tempting.

But he turned it down and the reason he turned it down, according to Ferguson himself, is there was no way he could lead an England side out plotting to defeat Scotland. And I think Gerrard may feel exactly the same about Liverpool.
Gerrard not just walking into the Liverpool job right after Klopp, he will need some EPL managerial experience .

I'm not sure he'd take it, we all know his aims to be Liverpool manager, if he was to go down to Newcastle the now, he either gets sacked or wins a league im not sure either of them end with him becoming Liverpool manager

They can buy any manager in the world they want.

However if they want SG then I hope Rangers hold them to ransom for a pay off.

I think if offered the job he will be off wonder how much compensation we will get if it was to happen

I think SG is a honourable guy and it wouldn't even cross his mind to leave us on the whim of a Saudi Arabian despot.

I can see Jose Mourinho back in the EPL soon though.
Agree, I can’t see SG aligning himself with a homophobic, misogynistic despot like this.

Tbh I think he’d take it if offered

He’s been very clear in the past month or so in his interviews that he’s not exactly been happy with having no money to spend on transfers with us.

Newcastle with no doubt plenty money to spend and a lot closer to home - he’d jump at it IMO

It’s not just about money. It’s about the vision for the club and how long Gerrard would get to make the team a ‘success’.

Will the owners be fickle and sack managers as per Chelsea… or allow a Klopp-type rebuild?

It would be tempting, no doubt. But the job (and ones like it) will still be there for Gerrard if remains at Ibrox for another season.

The main reason the mentally challengeds want to see the back of Gerrard is because of the exposure he gives Rangers throughout the World.

They absolutely hate the fact he has made us Worldwide news and brings a whole new audience to the club. As much as he is a fantastic young manager his profile is absolutely enormous and they don't like anyone else getting more attention than them.

They are absolute attention seeking whores.

Haven't read five pages of this so don't know if this has been mentioned...but I would like to think Stevie is above going to a club and using their new owners blood money.
From a country that has destroyed Yemen does not allow homosexuality, where adultery is punished by beheading without a fair trial etc etc, surely he wouldn't even consider it.

Don't believe everything you read on facebook.....I'ts actually (if married) death by stoning.

And if he bought Rangers you wouldn't be coming out with this pish.

Remember Souness to Liverpool, that hit us hard, but we had Walter Smith.

I would hope that £mega millions from Saudi billionaires who are using Newcastle as a PR exercise would mean Gerrard exercising caution.

Those Saudi Billionaires, let’s not kid ourselves, could turn his head with their bottomless pit of cash.

I would be especially disappointed in Steven Gerrard if he left, but it could happen, we always knew this.

We should know his mindset soon because his views will be sought especially with the English Media.

I hope the Rangers Board are awake, we will maybe have to look for another Walter Smith.
Bottom line is that if he’s their first choice he will be leaving, the good news is that with that money they will be in a position to attract any manager of their choice meaning he will be miles off the top list

Granted Newcastle would be a 'project' for the new manager but personally think the gaffer would rather win titles, cups and take part in the CL than scrap it out with the likes of Burnley and Watford for the 17th place finish.

Reactions: TN8
Absolute graveyard of a club for managers.
They may now have money to burn, but got the same squad of players for next three months until transfer window opens. That squad have three points from 7 games this season.
I can see a stop gap manager if they get shot of Steve Bruce. Maybe Eddie Howe. Then they will be looking to a Conte or Mancini or even Jose. They have massive experience/success in EPL and Europe.
SG has one title in three years at Rangers, so can't see him being in the running long term wise.
People I know who follow LFC all say they would not have him after Klopp unless he had experience at a lower club in EPL where he brought some form of success/improvement.
I'll be glad for him to stay at Ibrox, win the treble and get the big brewsters from the Champions League next season, where he will then have more money at his disposal to take us to the next level,

Granted Newcastle would be a 'project' for the new manager but personally think the gaffer would rather win titles, cups and take part in the CL than scrap it out with the likes of Burnley and Watford for the 17th place finish.
Exactly this. Anybody who thinks he'd take the job right now if offered it just hasn't listened to a word he's said over the last 4 years. He's not interested in relegation fights, and that's what Newcastle are in this season.

Back