Academy player Wilson

Barca bears

Anyone know what's happening with the lad Wilson who scored against Aberdeen yesterday.

Read that he's getting to go to Man City for games. Surely we trying to tie these lads down

Its hard to blame these kids for going. The money being paid to these young kids is pife changing, even if they never actually make the grade

I find it difficult to get excited about our academy any more, even the best ones don’t seem to come through and play many games

Nothing we can do, he’s 15.

Hopefully he at least signs a pro deal with us so if City or whoever do want him then we can be appropriately compensated.

Think it also says a lot about how our academy is doing that Chelsea and Man City have been targeting a fair few of the players over the past couple of seasons.

We’ve lost players to each of the above sides, but thankfully we’ve pretty well compensated considering the situations.

I’ve never seen Wilson play, but he seems to score all the time playing for the 18s and was on the bench for the YCL game recently.

The thing that annoys me is we will be constantly accused of not brining through our own academy talent (Nathan Patterson excepted) but what can you do when they are being snatched away by clubs in England like Chelsea and Billy Gilmour.

Not having a go or that genuinely curious. How is it a different planet? Is it how they approach the game or is it how they prepare the kids with diets or that?

Best coaches. Best facilities. Best players from across the globe. Better standard of competition. There's a good reasons the club is pushing hard to get B-Teams competing in the lower leagues of Scotland. The standard of the competition at other clubs is much lower, especially at Youth Level.

It would be nice to get him on a contract at least . £300 k for Billy Gilmour looks a steal now .

You can’t blame them though for wanting the life changing money on offer but it’s a million miles away from making it .

What sort of weekly wage Or signing on fee would a Man City / Chelsea be offering a 16 year old ?

It would be nice to get him on a contract at least . £300 k for Billy Gilmour looks a steal now .

You can’t blame them though for wanting the life changing money on offer but it’s a million miles away from making it .

What sort of weekly wage Or signing on fee would a Man City / Chelsea be offering a 16 year old ?
A lot more than anyone in Scotland.

I’m sure David on H&H said that when Gilmour signed the deal at Chelsea it essentially meant he would be a millionaire at worst.

You might get the occasional one happy to play for Rangers but most of them will put money first.

Swings and roundabouts, we sign players from other Scottish teams regularly too. It's nothing new and not much we can do about it. Really hard to hold on to young players if the likes of Chelsea or City come along. Much as I love Rangers that's the reality.

Not saying this will be drastically different to Rangers in part, but a good insight.

Sure I watched a longer one previously. Will try and find it.

Best coaches. Best facilities. Best players from across the globe. Better standard of competition. There's a good reasons the club is pushing hard to get B-Teams competing in the lower leagues of Scotland. The standard of the competition at other clubs is much lower, especially at Youth Level.
Ahh sweet cheers

Not having a go or that genuinely curious. How is it a different planet? Is it how they approach the game or is it how they prepare the kids with diets or that?

Theres a Billy Gilmour interview online somewhere, follows him about for a day or so and shows you his life in the Chelsea academy, give that a watch if you can find it and you'll see what I mean.

Edit.. just as I post this, the video is posted above.

There was supposed to be a geographical limit on where clubs could sign youngsters from to prevent the big clubs from going after kids who lived hundreds of miles away. Unfortunately so long as English clubs have the kind of money to throw at youngsters that Scottish clubs would be offering to their first team players then we'll continue to see great prospects move south.

If you're a kid playing for Rangers youth and a big English side show an interest then it's turning your head. You see the money on offer and you see what clubs are willing to do to help your family and unfortunately it's an easy decision. Because even if it doesnt work out, you leave those big clubs after you've gone through the academy system and you're financially well off at a young age with the ability to basically pick and choose which club you move to next.

Money has damaged football massively.

The likes of city and Chelsea’s wages at youth teams must be frightening, they have a crazy amount of youngsters on their books too.

Ahh sweet cheers

Prime example of this is Calvin Bassey, he went from being a Leicester City academy player to back up Left back for a title winning Rangers side, Europa League/SPFL starts for us and international call ups for Nigeria. All in the space of a year. And he wasn't even considered the best young fullback in their youth set up either.

We can't sign him on a pro contract until he turns 16 in January.

No doubt he will have loads of offers though.

Same situation as Gilmour.

Not sure what if any downsides there would be for a young player choosing Chelsea or Man City over Scotland other than maybe them needing to leave there home but at 16 years old it offers a fabulous new life too and it’s simple for parents to visit when they can .

Then again who hung about with there parents from 16-21 ? Not many people I know

Only seen short parts of him on tv but ye he is good , left forward when I seen him and he is very bright and quick and has good technique especially in scoring .

maybe a little like lovenkrands but more polished but not as quick .

Pretty frustrating but I don't get too hung up on young players leaving for the best academies in the world. We do the same thing to lesser academies.

Shows we are producing well, and when we show more of a path to the first team maybe that'll help motivate young players to stay.

Its hard to blame these kids for going. The money being paid to these young kids is pife changing, even if they never actually make the grade

Apart from wages they also make inducements to family members. They offer to pay for any siblings to go through a top private school even if the player stays at the club or not etc.....

Obviously, I hope all our best players stay, but it must be a really tough decision with the offers that are made to them.

I remember Leon king knocking back similar approaches . If he doesn’t make it at Rangers he may regret that in the future .

I live near hull there was this young player I knew of who was about 15 and knocking them in for hull city academy .

Reading offered about £100k to take him away whilst still a schoolboy as Hull had a poor academy .

He went down there and was scholar of the year at about 18 and knocking them in for reserves . Was playing for Scotland under 19s when Ricky Sabrigia was involved . Model girlfriend all over insta .

Got bombed by Reading and went to Brighton where also never got a look in . Now in non league via Grimsby at about 24/25.

Sometimes you can’t argue with the possibility of taking it while you can .

I do think there should be some sort of cap on squad sizes in the 16 to 21 age groups or at least proper compensation for players signed at 16 year old.

Gilmour could only sign for us, or anybody, from his sixteenth birthday so the £300k must be due for other reasons.
However, did Rangers and Chelsea not get into bother due to the arrangements made surrounding him going to Chelsea?

Anyone know what's happening with the lad Wilson who scored against Aberdeen yesterday.

Read that he's getting to go to Man City for games. Surely we trying to tie these lads down
He's only 15 I think. All we can do is offer him a contract at 16. He can walk away if he likes though.

Chelsea gave us some cash to get 'exclusivity' on a deal for Gilmour before his 16th birthday. Both Chelsea and Rangers were fined by UEFA for doing so.

Got to see the last hour of the game yesterday as Cormack Park is a short walk from my house.

Was a great finish for the goal, spotted the keeper a good bit off his line and lobbed him from 25 yards or so.

Other than that, IMO the forwards were a bit frustrating, giving the ball away a lot, poor first touches.

I missed our first goal, an og, but, the second was a great piece of individual brilliance from our right back, running past a couple of defenders, cutting in for a great finish with his left. As the team went back for kick off he bragged "see, I told you I was a striker". Unfortunately, Aberdeen's right back did something similar straight from kick off to equalise.

Gilmour could only sign for us, or anybody, from his sixteenth birthday so the £300k must be due for other reasons.
However, did Rangers and Chelsea not get into bother due to the arrangements made surrounding him going to Chelsea?
We did, the deal was illegal and both clubs penalised. We were fined, Chelsea got their transfer ban.

Chelsea gave us a very good deal, all things considered.

-£500k up front
-£250k when he made his debut
-15% sell on fee

and a couple of other things.

It's not just the money.

Football is on a different planet down there.
One of my suspicions as to why Scotland has struggled to produced good players for the last 40 years or so is that our youngsters aren't regularly playing against other top youngsters. If you sign for any EPL team as a youth that problem disappears overnight.

We did, the deal was illegal and both clubs penalised. We were fined, Chelsea got their transfer ban.

Chelsea gave us a very good deal, all things considered.

-£500k up front
-£250k when he made his debut
-15% sell on fee

and a couple of other things.

Wasn't it one of the deals that resulted in Chelsea getting the transfer ban?

One of my suspicions as to why Scotland has struggled to produced good players for the last 40 years or so is that our youngsters aren't regularly playing against other top youngsters. If you sign for any EPL team as a youth that problem disappears overnight.
Hence why Rangers left the competitive youth leagues a couple of years back and chose to play regular friendlies against top European sides.

Seems to have worked well for Patterson.

As much as I love Rangers I'd hate to be an academy player at us as your more likely to get a shot at Chelsea or the likes than you would here,so I don't blame them for wanting to move as you only have a short career.

Last part of that is absolute nonsense

Don’t agree with the part about the competition at youth level. If it was competitive I wouldn’t bet on any of our teams winning their league

What would have happened with Gilmour's "employment status" with Rangers (if anything), if he'd played against Morton when he was in the squad at age 15?
Would a game for the first team change anything?

It was £500k plus add ons for gilmour but still a steal with the way he has turned out.
Who knows what kind of money they pay down there but you would imagine it will be fairly healthy for a youth compared to the normal up here.

There is obviously no guarantee players of that age will carry on devoloping so teams in smaller leagues just can't afford to risk paying decent contracts to some of these kids where teams like City and Chelsea can take the financial risk and stockpile.
Loaning them out and see how they get on in the championship and the likes and even if they are not good enough for them in the end they seem to get decent fees from lower clubs for a good few to carry on doing the same.
Unfortunately we are not at the top of the food chain but to be fair we do it to teams lower the us as well.

Dire Mebude is at Man City his brother Dapo is at Watford.
Yeah, the sale of Dire allowed us to buy Graham, Weston and Lindsay. Noticed he was on the bench in their YCL game the other day, watched the first half.

As much as I love Rangers I'd hate to be an academy player at us as your more likely to get a shot at Chelsea or the likes than you would here,so I don't blame them for wanting to move as you only have a short career.
our own fault ironically, we demand a win every game or we go mental, who's gonna risk kids in that situation? unless he was a real stand out, and if they were they get pinched by the big leagues anyway

Which must be why Mulholland was trying to move to playing teams across Europe instead of only being again domestic youth teams

Back