1981 Airdrie v Rangers, Broomfield Stadium, 24 Jan Scottish Cup., TV highlights now on You Tube

Rangers Archive Footage

1981 Airdrie v Rangers, Broomfield Stadium, 24 Jan Scottish Cup., TV highlights now on You Tube

First match on route to the Final where Davie Cooper masterclass won the cup in a replay v Dundee Utd.

Some great action and goals in this game, good to see the old Broomfield Ground as well.

Wonder if Gregor Stevens would attract the attention of the referees in the modern game lol

Despite the attendances often being around the 25000 at Ibrox in those days the away grounds always seem to be packed.

Last edited:
Well remember it. We weren't playing well and it was seen as a very possible cup exit for us, then we blew them away.

Typical of the times under John Greig, so inconsistent and often rotten, but on occasion we looked brilliant.

Can I make a request to the OP. Monday is the 25th anniversary of Davie Cooper leaving us. How about a Cooper special, 3 games that would definitely be in there would be 1981 Cup Final replay v Dundee United, 1984 League Cup semi final 2nd leg also v Dundee United and a 1986 home league game v Hearts.

He was mesmerising in all 3, under 3 different managers.

I was at the game
We had actually been to broomfield 2 or 3 weeks earlier and drew 1-1,so we expected another hard game however we totally destroyed airdrie that day

also important to note for younger viewers
the thuggery against rangers isn't a new thing, although the referees were better back then and believe it or not, george smith was one of the worst.

Would have been not long after that we signed Jim Stewart?

Always enjoyed trips to Broomfield, thanks for posting.
Away days in the old grounds were more enjoyable , packed with Rangers fans in every corner of the grounds.
Now most of the teams would rather have empty stands.

First match on route to the Final where Davie Cooper masterclass won the cup in a replay v Dundee Utd.

Some great action and goals in this game, good to see the old Broomfield Ground as well.

Wonder if Gregor Stevens would attract the attention of the referees in the modern game lol

Really enjoying these mate.

Please keep them coming.

thanks for posting this i didn't attend this game but i do remember the 1-1 game that season 9 years old never saw a crowd like that at airdrie i do remember section b maybe 100 strong on the terrace surrounded by police, really miss broomfield and days like this,infact i hate all the lego built stadiums nowadays seem to lack character and atmosphere

Was at the game and expected a tough game as had been at Broomfield a little earlier in the season on league business and struggled in a 1-1 draw.
As the pictures show Rangers were backed by a massive travelling support.

Funny the things you remember.

The same day as this, Kilmarnock and Ayr played each other in the Cup.
My work had quite a few supporters of both teams and they tried to persuade me to go there instead of Broomfield and make it a work day out with the pub after.

Me being staunch there was never any chance, but I met up with some of them later that night and 2 of them had fallen out and had a fight! Killie won, think it was 2-1.

thanks for posting this i didn't attend this game but i do remember the 1-1 game that season 9 years old never saw a crowd like that at airdrie i do remember section b maybe 100 strong on the terrace surrounded by police, really miss broomfield and days like this,infact i hate all the lego built stadiums nowadays seem to lack character and atmosphere
Loved that wee stadium, always had a soft spot for Airdrie.

Love seeing old clips like this. Thanks for posting OP.

Great stuff S Hope you're working from home for a long, long time mate.

Stephen, I'm really enjoying the videos from this era, as much for hearing the old songs I used to sing but never hear anymore.

"We love you Rangers, oh yes we do"

Great stuff and thanks for posting these

Was at that game and moved out to Airdrie shortly after that. Still live near the old Broomfield.

Thanks for posting. And thanks for not putting the score in the title. It’s far more enjoyable that way for those of us with a crap memory.
Broomfield was a tremendous wee ground. Great to see that team again and hear Archie’s excellent and very professional commentary. You don’t hear “masochist” very often from the commentator! I wish we had a winger like wee Bud nowadays. His style of play is a lost art unfortunately.

I was at the game
We had actually been to broomfield 2 or 3 weeks earlier and drew 1-1,so we expected another hard game however we totally destroyed airdrie that day

I was at both. We got back to the bus after the drawn league game, totally depressed after another miserable result and performance, just in time to hear us drawn against them in the cup. We'd struggled against them also earlier in the season so we expected another tight game and many pundits tipped us to go out. But we were brilliant in this game. We really were a Jekyl and Hyde team back then. Good in the cups, often terrible in the league. Yet I really enjoyed following the team back then.

Thanks again OP for the memories. I've not seen that game or the goals since that very night.

Was at the game but other than Stevens scoring the first goal and the score I can't remember anything about it.

I was at the 1-1 game a few weeks earlier and remember getting back to the bus and being told we had drawn Airdie away again in the cup.

Was expecting a tough game but watching the highlights again we won well.

Thanks for posting.

I was at both. We got back to the bus after the drawn league game, totally depressed after another miserable result and performance, just in time to hear us drawn against them in the cup. We'd struggled against them also earlier in the season so we expected another tight game and many pundits tipped us to go out. But we were brilliant in this game. We really were a Jekyl and Hyde team back then. Good in the cups, often terrible in the league. Yet I really enjoyed following the team back then.

Thanks again OP for the memories. I've not seen that game or the goals since that very night.

There always appears to be bigger crowds for SC games, compared to league games from 60s, 70s and 80s.

Was this the case, or is it just the particular game footage I've seen?

Well remember it. We weren't playing well and it was seen as a very possible cup exit for us, then we blew them away.

Typical of the times under John Greig, so inconsistent and often rotten, but on occasion we looked brilliant.

Can I make a request to the OP. Monday is the 25th anniversary of Davie Cooper leaving us. How about a Cooper special, 3 games that would definitely be in there would be 1981 Cup Final replay v Dundee United, 1984 League Cup semi final 2nd leg also v Dundee United and a 1986 home league game v Hearts.

He was mesmerising in all 3, under 3 different managers.

Hi

Those three games already on my You Tube channel

1986 v Hearts

1981 Rangers v D Utd SCF

1984 Rangers v Dundee Utd

Remember the cup game against them in 1973. 60,000 at Ibrox and 48,000 at the
Easter Road replay with the gates being closed I believe.

Did the Scottish Cup carry the same prestige as the league back in these days mate?

So many older Bears seem to talk about the 66 and 73 SC Finals as their favourite games.

Seems to have been the case in England too, as the FA Cup Final seemed to have been a massive showpiece.

Did the Scottish Cup carry the same prestige as the league back in these days mate?

So many older Bears seem to talk about the 66 and 73 SC Finals as their favourite games.

Seems to have been the case in England too, as the FA Cup Final seemed to have been a massive showpiece.

I was just a bit too young to appreciate the 66 final but the buzz around 73 was amazing.
I suppose it being in the middle of 9 in a row plus Rangers were on a 26 game unbeaten run
(first genuine title challange for years) gave it greater significance. Its true what you say about
the FA Cup. They can build it up all they want but these days no-one really cares anymore.
That certainly wasn't the case for the Scottish Cup in the 60's/70's and 80's.

There always appears to be bigger crowds for SC games, compared to league games from 60s, 70s and 80s.

Was this the case, or is it just the particular game footage I've seen?

No mate, the cup games always had bigger attendances. I remember 47,000 at a midweek replay with Hibs in 1973 and 60,000 or more v Dundee the year after.

I was at the game that day - Willie Johnston was immense

No mate, the cup games always had bigger attendances. I remember 47,000 at a midweek replay with Hibs in 1973 and 60,000 or more v Dundee the year after.
The Dundee game was a novelty as it was the first Sunday game involving Rangers.

As regards folk remembering the 73 game with great affection, it was first of all a great match and result, but also because it was against the odds and we hadn’t won the Cup since 66. In 66 that game we were favourites but the replay is fondly remembered for Kai’s fantastic goal.

The Dundee game was a novelty as it was the first Sunday game involving Rangers.

As regards folk remembering the 73 game with great affection, it was first of all a great match and result, but also because it was against the odds and we hadn’t won the Cup since 66. In 66 that game we were favourites but the replay is fondly remembered for Kai’s fantastic goal.

I always thought they would be favourites in 66, as their league dominance had started.

Every day is a school day on FF. :))

Yes, I think the Dundee game was the first on a Sunday as you say, but cup games generally did get higher crowds than the league.

Yes, I think the Dundee game was the first on a Sunday as you say, but cup games generally did get higher crowds than the league.

Correct. 60,000 v Aberdeen 1971, 60,000 v Hibs 1973 and as you say Dundee in 1974 60,000.
No doubt the Scottish Cup pulled the bigger crowds.

Reactions: ao2
Thanks for posting. And thanks for not putting the score in the title. It’s far more enjoyable that way for those of us with a crap memory.
Broomfield was a tremendous wee ground. Great to see that team again and hear Archie’s excellent and very professional commentary. You don’t hear “masochist” very often from the commentator! I wish we had a winger like wee Bud nowadays. His style of play is a lost art unfortunately.
not putting the score on is a deliberate ploy so that younger viewers who don't know the outcome can enjoy the match if they are seeing it for the first time.

Glad you are enjoying them, plenty more to come.

Back