1981 St Johnstone v Rangers, 14th Feb Scottish Cup tie at Muirton Park, full TV highlights now on You Tube

Was at Muirton Park that day and missed our late, late equaliser.(went on the Barmulloch Loyal supporters bus and the driver told as all to be back sharpish as he wanted to get back home asap).

Some game, I recall a St Johnstone ball boy in tears at our equaliser.

Sad to think Cooper and Redford no longer with us.

In the replay (3-1), for some reason I remember Gregor Stevens having a great game, now that’s something you won’t say often.

In the replay (3-1), for some reason I remember Gregor Stevens having a great game, now that’s something you won’t say often.
4 of the starting 11 no longer with us.

I was there, what a relief when we equalised. Muirton was a great place.
Yes, especially since we had a goal disallowed just before it from what I remember. And I think we were 2 goals up before they scored.

Was in the shed near the halfway line, but moved round to behind the goal in the last minutes, and had a perfect view of Redford’s header.

McAdam and Jackson gone too

ANd big Colin Macadam also.
Sorry huistra just saw your post.

Last edited:
Kinda summed us up then, could play great stuff, 2-0 & cruising-3-2 down minutes to go and all hell breaking loose.
Big Rangers support their that day, Muriton was a great place to visit

Went on the football special that day.

Think it was the day we had to break off from throwing bottles at an ira march in the town to go and catch the train :)

The good old days going to watch the Rangers....

On that main road behind the main stand, across the road was a bakery factory selling pies from a side door.

Was in Paris when that game was on the Monday after was spent hunting down a British paper for the score, tentatively opened it to see St Johnstone 3 nearly shat it :D :D . Paid way too much for a News of the World:p

Hard to believe that was February, my recollection was that it was a cracking day, unless I have my games mixed up which might be the case as ai thought Ally was only on the bench.

I missed the Greenock RSC bus that morning (my Old Man told me it was to leave later than it actually did lol) so had to make do with the radio. It wasn't even our game that was on, it was Morton v Aberdeen (Morton won with a great Andy Ritchie goal). We seemed on easy street but then the reports kept coming through of goals for St Johnstone and I remember them reporting the disallowed goal in the last minute or so and thinking we were out, then the news coming in of Ian Redford's last gasp equaliser - queue me going mad dancing round the room more from relief than joy :))

I'll watch this one later. Thanks again OP!

Last edited:
5 of the starting 13. Cooper was a substitute. Even more frightening is that Tom Forsyth and Ally Dawson have had their cancer battles as well
It’s saddening. In those days Rangers were 100% of my life and I have a great affection for that team, although they weren’t the best.

Great game. McCoist done feck all despite Archie’s big build up. And Peter McCloy was all over the place.

As an aside, why did grounds have the alphabet painted on the trackside walls back then? Noticed it at Broomfield as well. Was it something to do with the half time scores?

Great game. McCoist done feck all despite Archie’s big build up. And Peter McCloy was all over the place.

As an aside, why did grounds have the alphabet painted on the trackside walls back then? Noticed it at Broomfield as well. Was it something to do with the half time scores?
That's right, the half time scores.

That late equaliser saved John Greig's job

Was Cooper getting kept out the team by Bud for most of this season mate?

We seemed to be playing a 4-4-2 with Russell, Bett, Redford and one winger.

Noticed he didn't start at Airdrie either.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back