41 years ago today...

Barbarossa

Official Ticketer
Ally-McCoist-Dream-Team.jpg

Davie Cooper signed for Rangers from Clydebank for £100,000.

“I played for the team I loved”

RIP Davie.

God rest his soul.

My dad loves giving me some Cooper stories and my cousin has named his first wean after the man.

Gutted I never got to see him play - a wizard by all accounts.

I was in the Hamilton Palace grounds today and passed his statue. As I always do, I stopped and said "thanks Davie" The Mrs thought I was mad until She was told that 41 years ago he signed for the Gers. Taken from us far too soon.

Cooper was a magician, in his first season he played in the treble winning team that included Greig, Johnstone, Jardine, Russell, Smith, McDonald, and Tam Forsyth. What a team.

Always remembered fondly.

A quite simply fantastic player who, if he had been more consistent, could've graced any club in the world.

RIP Sir
Loved his statement to Big Shirley Aitken "you couldn't a beach baw aff me in a phone box"
On his day that was true.

The most naturally gifted and most magical left foot of my days watching Rangers.

Couldn't tackle.
Couldn't win headers.
Wasn't all that quick.
Could be inconsistent.

But when you are blessed with genius, forget what he couldn't do and be thankful how incredible he was at what he did best.

Ally-McCoist-Dream-Team.jpg

Davie Cooper signed for Rangers from Clydebank for £100,000.

“I played for the team I loved”

RIP Davie.

Well done for bringing this to our attention pal and I remember the day when he signed. The man became a Rangers legend with a magical left foot....when he was in the mood. Super Cooper!!

The days when Scottish players were not quite as good as before, he stood out like a beacon, amazing skill in a game full of 'hammer throwers' Davy Cooper was a very special player, for him to realise his dream meant we realised ours. RIP Davie.

When He passed away, it's one of only 3 times I've seen my old man cry.

A truly beautiful player.

Thanks for sharing this, got a wee tear in my eye watching that. I had the club wall paper and Davie Cooper bed spread as a young bear, him leaving in '89 I don't really remember much on the pitch. I was 14 when he passed and remember it well, such a loss :(

Autographed a few hours before beating Motherwell to win the league and part two of the treble in 1977-78
15qet1s.jpg

Rip Davie.

Quite simply my hero. I am 41, and turned 41 a few weeks ago, so all I ever knew was Davie Cooper.

Before it was a ‘thing’, I used to get ‘11’ on the back of my jerseys down at Roberts Stores the first day they were released.

Whenever I played football I pretended to be Davie Cooper, when I went to sleep I dreamed of being Davie Cooper.

I cried when he signed for Motherwell, I crumbled when he died.

Just a beautiful footballer.

Henderson and Cooper at their peaks are the 2 players I'd love to have seen live.

RIP Coop.
I'm blessed to have seen both. Two very different players but both could light up Ibrox.

Wee Henderson was fast, direct, could deliver a ball and just loved when he scored now and then. No Bear who saw Willy arms aloft after he scored could be anything other than happy. He loved The Rangers.

Cooper was a more complex character but, at his best, an absolutely stunning player. I went to Yooni in London and, in 1985, bought a flat in Hoxton/Shoreditch. The bloke who lived next to us was a journalist but was also a big Spurs fan. I'd often get a train from Euston on a Saturday morning to go to Ibrox. When I got back in the evening or on the Sunday the first question on the neighbour's lips was, "How did Davy Cooper play?".

Cooper was, simply, the best of the best when he wanted to be.

My earliest vision of a footballer, is Davie in his tight fitting shorts, weaving in and out of defences. What a legend :cool:

I love when Davie Cooper threads appear on here everyone’s recollections of him bring back great memories
Mine were 1981 Cup Final replay,his reverse pass to Durrant against the beggars in Souness’s first season and his amazing free kick against the sheep
There’s so many more RIP Davie you graced the team I love

I’m in no way exaggerating when I say that when he was in the mood, he would have graced any side in the world with that magical left foot.

Back