Absent Friends - raise a glass for those Bears who saw 54 but are sadly not with us for 55

Big Colin Westwater from the ballingry loyal,I knew big jinx all my life a nicer man I’ve yet to meet,he was part of our bus for over forty yrs and will be sorely missed when the bus starts again,I will have a wee half to him on the day of the presentation,cheers big man it was a pleasure knowing you.

Last edited:
My dad died around 3/4 weeks ago and it's still so raw. I am grateful that he knew the league was won as not many have been so lucky. I remember he said "I was glad I was alive to see it" as he knew he was dying. The last thing I said to him was that I was going to set up premier sports for him to watch the old firm game on 18/04/21. I didn't know that was going to be the last thing I said to him.

I set him up with heart and hand and he loved it despite knowing he was dying as it gave him much needed escapism and he could fully indulge in all things Rangers. It was the only thing that really brightened him up.

His main passions in life were music and Rangers. He was there in the 1972 and was the first and last time he was ever abroad. He brought us all up (including my mum) as Rangers supporters.

I was a daddy's girl and I truly loved him with all my heart. I don't know how I am going to get through the game on Saturday.

My thoughts are with everyone who have lost loved ones during this bittersweet time.
Hi Jenny,I've done nothing but cry my eyes out since reading these wonderful posts yesterday,Saturday is going to be a very emotional day for thousands of us bears and bearettes,joy and sadness and memories yours my love,will be more so as your pain,anguish and sorrow are as you say so raw,I've posted quite a few replies over my time on FF,especially when one of us loses a loved one!Right now you will be lost ,feeling pain and wanting to scream to the world about your beloved father,people will tell you times a healer Jenny,its not,but what is after all the pain , and sorrow and hurting,slowly but surely a wee bit of sunshine starts peeking through,and it will get stronger and stronger,as you will,you will start to think of only the good times you had with your dad,the wonderful joyful things you did together and these wee memories will start to make you smile as the sun shines brighter in your life,lost my dad 2002 and mum 2003,my brother Stephen 2 years on march,not a day goes by I dont think about them,sometimes tearfully but wonderful memories of the things we did together, once again I say from the deep south here in Dumfries, I stretch my arms around you jenny and give you the biggest hug I can,god bless,stay strong,yours aye,
WATP

Robert Watt - Little Boy Blue

Robert wrote for Follow Follow - both fanzine and website - for many years. We had our ups and down but he was a staunch friend with a never-ending sense of humour.

In 2011 he was diagnosed with leukaemia and survived to have some great years only to relapse and pass away in less than 24 hours.

In an email to me from hospital - reproduced below - he mentions both the 54 and the 55 - he kinda summed up his attitude to life - his various loves and likes. It resonates with me still.

Robert, this one is for you my friend.

Let the landlord fill up your glasses, and friendship fill up your hearts.

TNuHq1F.png

WSiqlHI.png

DD6wEo7.jpg

You can read more about Robert here - https://www.followfollow.com/forum/...e-lost-robert-watt-aka-little-boy-blue.19526/
I love that you always honour him & his contribution

He was very good to me & provided a Helluva lot when I was doing the Manchester book

I'm currently battling cancer & I think about Robert & his own struggle a lot these days

My dad & best friend, we sat together for many years in the Copland Rear. Spent so many happy hours watching our team.
Aunt Jenny (my wife's aunt) who turned 90 last year but passed away earlier this year. She breathed Rangers. Got a BEM from The Queen for over 60 years volunteering for The British Red Cross but was more made up by the letter from Ally McCoist congratulating her.

Rangers back where we belong!!
We Are The People.

I'll be raising a glass to them both and all other bluenoses no longer with us.
#gbnf

My grandad was a well known face in Cumbernauld, Alex Moore.

Took me to my first game in 1985 and got my first and only season ticket together with him in the late 80's in the Copland front. We sat there together right up until 2007 when I moved to Sweden.

He passed away on New Years Eve 2011/12, so missed us going into admin etc. He would never have believed what was to come. Kind of glad he missed it, but would have loved to have talked to him about it.

Will be raising a glass to him and my gran on Saturday afternoon.

Whilst this a great tribute to our lost bears, there’s some horrible reading in here. Those who lost children, genuinely, my heart aches for you lads and lassies. Can only imagine what you are going through.

For me, a glass will be raised to 55 and my two brothers.

This is such a bittersweet thread, reading through all of your posts definitely leaves a lump in my throat. I am sure all your loved ones will be watching over you all this coming weekend and we will raise a glass to our nearest and dearest no longer with us.

My grandad died November 2019 and I know he would have loved to have been here for 55 and to have seen the celebrations with a Guinness. As would my late best friend who took her own life 13yrs ago aged 20, she was a huge rangers supporter and even wore those big chunky rangers necklaces that looking back on make me giggle.

Thinking of you all. x

My old man was more of a Linfield fan, and what you'd respectfully call a curmudgeon when it came to football! (Although to be fair, he disliked Steven Naismith way before the rest of us). He always had a twinkle in his eye when the Gers beat the scum and won trophies though. I'll really miss giving him a wee call post match tomorrow. Thoughts with everyone on this thread that's missing someone.

Tomorrow is a great achievement in our incredible club’s history, 55 is so special and I wish good health to all Bears around the world who are celebrating this weekend.

I am raising a special wee toast tonight to our absent friends who are not here to celebrate 55 with us. Here is to all our loved ones that we have lost and who would have loved to have saw the Famous lift 55.

Tomorrow will be very special for me as I lost my best mate only a few weeks ago. He was battling with depression and his demons for years. We knew each other our whole life and I miss him dearly. Not a day goes by that I don’t think of him and our good old days going to Ibrox together.
John was Rangers daft and would have loved tomorrow.

This last year has been horrendous and I don’t think there has been enough done for mental health, so please please if you are struggling then please talk to your loved ones, you have no idea how much you are loved and how much you would be missed. There is always a way out no matter how bad you think it is. No one has to suffer alone.

So here is to my mate John, all our absent friends, the Famous Glasgow Rangers and 55.

Have a great weekend Bears look out for each other and I hope you are all feeling champion.

WATP

Tomorrow is a great achievement in our incredible club’s history, 55 is so special and I wish good health to all Bears around the world who are celebrating this weekend.

I am raising a special wee toast tonight to our absent friends who are not here to celebrate 55 with us. Here is to all our loved ones that we have lost and who would have loved to have saw the Famous lift 55.

Tomorrow will be very special for me as I lost my best mate only a few weeks ago. He was battling with depression and his demons for years. We knew each other our whole life and I miss him dearly. Not a day goes by that I don’t think of him and our good old days going to Ibrox together.
John was Rangers daft and would have loved tomorrow.

This last year has been horrendous and I don’t think there has been enough done for mental health, so please please if you are struggling then please talk to your loved ones, you have no idea how much you are loved and how much you would be missed. There is always a way out no matter how bad you think it is. No one has to suffer alone.

So here is to my mate John, all our absent friends, the Famous Glasgow Rangers and 55.

Have a great weekend Bears look out for each other and I hope you are all feeling champion.

WATP
I’m sorry for your loss. As someone who has faced similar challenges to your friend I am forever grateful that I was able to come out the other side when things got really bad. I would encourage anyone who has mental health issues to seek help. It’s not a sign of weakness and it makes all the difference. I’ve seen too many threads on here with similar stories because someone didn’t reach out. As you say let’s all look out for each other.

Tomorrow will be about so much more than a league title. Yes, that’s the trophy we will get, but what it means to us as fans and would have meant to those who are no longer with us goes way beyond a bit of metal.

To absent friends. And, 50 years on, to the 66. Always Remembered.

I’m sorry for your loss. As someone who has faced similar challenges to your friend I am forever grateful that I was able to come out the other side when things got really bad. I would encourage anyone who has mental health issues to seek help. It’s not a sign of weakness and it makes all the difference. I’ve seen too many threads on here with similar stories because someone didn’t reach out. As you say let’s all look out for each other.

Tomorrow will be about so much more than a league title. Yes, that’s the trophy we will get, but what it means to us as fans and would have meant to those who are no longer with us goes way beyond a bit of metal.

To absent friends. And, 50 years on, to the 66. Always Remembered.
I’m so pleased that you got the help that you needed mate. Your right it’s not a weakness.

totally agree with you, tomorrow is so much more than just lifting a trophy, it means so much more.

I’ll toast a glass to my late grandad, who instilled a love of Rangers in me but who passed away before the shyt storm that ensued. I know him, my uncle Joe, my dad and my granny will be celebrating 55 in a better place, if such a place exists, I hope it does.

I'm sorry for your loss mate. Some very kind and wise words for those that could use some support.
For me tomorrow I'll remember old Wilson. East Enclosure loyal. End of row moaning at anyone with the audacity to get up for a p*sh before HT. Breaking our cover behind enemy lines at Rugby Park 10 years ago when we scored. Sadly not here to witness tomorrow.
To all those remembering and being remembered.

Yes I have been feeling both tearful and excited all day thinking of my loved ones (3) I have lost recently.
What we have achieved in these past years is nothing short of incredible and I pray we continue to grow on and off the field.
Wishing every Rangers fan wherever you are in the world (my family will be watching in Perth Australia) have a safe and wonderful day as I know I will.
God Bless.

It will be a sad day and also an extremely happy day,we will all think of family and friends who are no longer with us and who would have been so proud to have seen Rangers back where they belong,I will be raising a glass to my mother and brother no longer with me and raise a glass with my dad who's last game was again Bayer leverkeusen his 80th season going to Ibrox, sadly now housebound and now unable to return to Ibrox with me when we are allowed to return. God bless all our absent friends and God bless the Glasgow Rangers, heres to 55,

Had a wee mate who sadly passed away, and didn't see this. Hope he's having a sturdy half up there and a smug grin on his coupon!

We immigrated to Canada in 1972 and my dad (William James Dickson) raised all 5 kids to support Rangers, sing follow follow, etc. He passed to the Grand Lodge Above in 2017, no doubt he is ecstatic and celebrating with us this weekend! Happy to continue our family tradition in Canada, teaching my 3 boys to support Rangers! WATP!

When we first started the journey away to Brechin I watched it with my dad, my grandad and my uncle. My grandad was a man so staunch we were once told he wouldn’t even eat green jelly beans. Sadly my grandad passed away a few years ago now and didn’t get to see us return to where we belong.
A close family friend as well passed away last year due to Covid. He was that close he was almost like a second grandad to me. Me and my dad watched many a game with him and fittingly the last one we watched together was the game at the piggery where we won 2-1.
Tomorrow when we lift that trophy they’ll both be in my thoughts, tonight I’m reminiscing about the journey our clubs had and I’m raising a glass to those 2 men who I desperately wish could have seen our club back where it belong.

My dad died on 11th Feb this year and was a true blue through and through.
My mum and dad, long gone now as I'll be 69 this year. My wee Ma came from Nuneaton Street in Brighton in the days when Brighton was teeming with folk. They taught me about the standards of Rangers, of Bill Struth that last today. My Dad told me of Alan Morton, Jerry Dawson, Willie Waddell and Geordie Young, Willie Thornton and Willie Woodburn. Rangers were and are unique, I have tried to pass these qualities on to my children and grandchildren. I love the Glasgow Rangers.

Great post.

I miss my Dad, but he will be up above having a right good sing song and delighted at the thought his grandson is following in his footsteps! And he will also be teaching some of the younger bears the songs of the 50s team:)

Possibly the best, definitely the most poignant thread to appear on this forum over the years. So let's all take a moment to think of all the folk mentioned in these messages when we celebrate 55 later today.

Squadron Leader Jack Ross RAF (Retired) 50+ years service to the RAF and 82 years a Bear. aka Xorbi on this board, left us the year before we came back up. He will be with us tomorrow

Hugh White, Paisley Castle Street OL (excluding how it ended up, the few in the know will know what I mean), and former RAF.

Died 2013.

Will raise a beer for him on Saturday.

Last edited:
My aul da rangers through n through passed away 22 8 16 remember the first game he ever took me to in 1984 against bohemians was the beginning of my love for ranger, wish he was here now, to see how much my son only 11 years old loves rangers he would be so proud I will most certainly raise a glass to him tomorrow WATP

Last edited:
Our uncle died in 2014 when we were down the divisions. Will have a wee toast for him tomorrow.

my old man "H" who passed away suddenly December 2018, born Rangers daft..

I'm planning to be back home for the league flag and hopefully sitting in his seat in the Main Stand, he'll be loving 55 in blue heaven..miss you dad..

Absent Friends
WATP

My big pal Andy Lilley passed on December last year. He was 30. Andy loved rangers more than some of his own family

I miss him every day and I’d give anything to tell him how much he meant to me and for one more chance to sing a few songs after a few beers

You’ll be looking down on us today as we lift 55, and I’ll be raising a glass to you Andy.

Back