Official Absent Friends - a toast to some pals who won't make it to Seville

My big brother was with me and my son at Manchester in 2008 we all had tickets for the final.He was tragically killed in an accident at work on 13th April 2010 at Stewarton.My son and I once again have tickets for the final,but I will be thinking so much about my brother Leslie.Miss you loads big brother

My granda died just after we secured the 3rd division. My dad died when we were top of the Premiership in 2011. Both would be unbearable now. Im going with my brother though. I hope they are sharing a "hauf" with Jimmy and Walter. My dad was in Barcelona, i hope he pulls some strings so i get the Spanish victory treatment he got lol

Just like 55 people outwith our family of bears do not understand what this means. For me it’s close to the meaning of life in many ways. At 64 years of age I am more invested in the Rangers institution than ever. I think of friends and family who have passed at this time and wonder what they would have made of Leipzig at Ibrox which for me was the best ever team and fans together. So dad up in heaven sit back and enjoy on Wednesday come what may.
Too much malt tonight in anticipation but we are the people so cheers troops.

My big mate Stephen.

He was a massive Celtic fan. And just like when we won the league last year, when we lift the Europa League trophy on Wednesday, I’ll hold my beer to the sky and give him a “Get it right up ye, prick!”.

May seem a little macabre, but that’s the sort of humour we had. We’d wind each other up something awful about the football. In fact, when Celtic were playing Boavista in the 2003 semi, we were working. Didn’t have internet at the time so relied on mates texting us what was happening, but I was texting my other pal to get him to send texts to big Monkey with wrong info. Could barely contain my laughter when he was raging cause he thought they were getting scudded 4-0 and Neil Lennon got sent off for spitting at the ref!!

My big mate Stephen.

He was a massive Celtic fan. And just like when we won the league last year, when we lift the Europa League trophy on Wednesday, I’ll hold my beer to the sky and give him a “Get it right up ye, prick!”.

May seem a little macabre, but that’s the sort of humour we had. We’d wind each other up something awful about the football. In fact, when Celtic were playing Boavista in the 2003 semi, we were working. Didn’t have internet at the time so relied on mates texting us what was happening, but I was texting my other pal to get him to send texts to big Monkey with wrong info. Could barely contain my laughter when he was raging cause he thought they were getting scudded 4-0 and Neil Lennon got sent off for spitting at the ref!!

Haha, brilliant. Sorry for you loss, sounds a good pal

I actually can't believe my dad will be missing it. He died a year ago this month of cancer. Got to see us win 55 though thankfully! When we won last Thursday to make the final I kept hearing his words from the night we beat Fiorentina in 08.. we've made it son we're in the final! Hopefully we'll go one step further and he'll be celebrating up there!

To so so many who it's been my good fortune to meet on my Rangers travels and life.

My friend QV Loyal mentioned in the OP and my Son who I made sure seen so many triumphs during our 9iar years. That he could share this with me now. A couple of days after the final is the anniversary of his passing. I hope I can stand over his last resting place to tell him of a triumph.

Not only a work colleague but my best mate Lee Dodds Jnr, sadly taken far too soon at the tender age of 32. Taken by covid 19 last year. We would of travelled to seville together and its been hard this week knowing you aren't here with us. I miss you mate and I cried like a baby at Ibrox after we won against RB. I know you will be watching from your blue heaven.

And with the Angels I'll be singing
Up in heaven there up above
I'll be singing Follow Follow
To the Rangers that I love

Don’t know why I was again thinking about this recently, but I’ll raise a glass to a lad who died only aged 19, in 1974, Kenny Rourke.

Taught me and my mates our first “proper” Rangers songs when we were no more than 8 or 9 years old. :)

Never forgotten, all these years later

My big brother Gordon from Shotts, posted on here as Girny, passed away August 2018 , whilst still working in the NHS. We made it to Manchester , and all over Europe , and I'm hoping when I'm in Seville on Wed , I'm toasting a famous win for him and all who sadly are no longer with us #GBNF

Both Grandfathers. My mum's dad especially, he'd have been buzzing for this.

My dad's father was at the Ibrox leg for the first CWC final against Fiorentina in 1961. He gave me his copy of the match programme when we faced them again in 2008. Incidentally, he saw Eintracht play us the year before in the European Cup and thought they were the greatest side he'd ever seen. A few months later he went to Hampden to see them again and saw Real Madrid rip them apart. He passed away a couple of years ago but I know if he were here now he'd be telling us all about it.

Last edited:
My brother Robert hitch hiked to Barcelona in '72 as a 16 year old. Got a sore from the Spanish polis for being on the pitch and took me too my first few games.
We went Manchester together. I will be going alone next week as he left us in 2014..

'The deeds off those who went before us are our inspiration ' I think it said last week

My granda. The first Rangers European final he’ll miss. Dementia meant he never knew we made it 55.

Rest easy big yin.

And when all my life has ended
And when death has made it's mark
Will you scatter all my ashes
On the slopes of Ibrox Park

And with the Angels I'll be singing
Up in heaven there up above
I'll be singing Follow Follow
To the Rangers that I love
And with my flute I will be playing
In the valleys and the glens
I'll be happy and contented
When the Rangers win again.

My dad and i were season ticket holders for more than 20 years. We sold the old family home in March which means I had the money to pay over the odds so that his granddaughter and i could get tickets for Seville.

If he were still here, I’d be taking him but it’s nice that he’s paying for his granddaughter as he would have enjoyed knowing she was getting such an experience.

My best mate who died 2 and a half years ago.

Had a wee cry leaving Leipzig home leg as I’d normally have been on the phone to him walking back to the bus.

He’d be loving this although he didn’t get to as many games as he’d have liked.
That’s what kills me after every big game. First thing I would do would be phone my old man, you still think it then you remember:(

Beautiful! posts and a chance to reflect on absent friends and family who have gone. Bet you there will be a big party up there beyond the pearly gates with the tunes belting out. Walter and Jimmy will be on the stage.

Back