Alex Scott Pub?

SimonLeBon

Many years ago I went to a funeral out past Falkirk direction. After the service at the Crematorium, the funeral party went back to a pub. Turns out the mine host was our Alex Scott, found out I was a big Gers fan and came over and spent time talking to me, a lovely guy and my old man said a fantastic player for us and Everton. I know Alex passed away in 2001. Any Bears remember the name of his pub and where it was? Cheers.

Many years ago I went to a funeral out past Falkirk direction. After the service at the Crematorium, the funeral party went back to a pub. Turns out the mine host was our Alex Scott, found out I was a big Gers fan and came over and spent time talking to me, a lovely guy and my old man said a fantastic player for us and Everton. I know Alex passed away in 2001. Any Bears remember the name of his pub and where it was? Cheers.

The Hurlet? Used to go there for lunch when I was working as a QS apprentice back in the 70s. As another poster has pointed out Jim and Alex both owned it.

If I remember correctly it was near the Barr's factory beside the canal.

The Hurlet? Used to go there for lunch when I was working as a QS apprentice back in the 70s. As another poster has pointed out Jim and Alex both owned it.

If I remember correctly it was near the Barr's factory beside the canal.
I think this is the pub.

Any body remember how he always did a tricky twist thing with his right foot when he took a corner.

It is always amazing to think that at the time that he was struggling to keep our number 7 jersey because of Henderson, he was still the first pick in that position for Scotland.

It is always amazing to think that at the time that he was struggling to keep our number 7 jersey because of Henderson, he was still the first pick in that position for Scotland.
It is indeed, I’m sure Wullie Henderson played in front of 134,000 in Scottish cup final at Hamden and the following week Alex Scott played in front of 144,000 for Scotland against England, but my memory not the best theses days.

Alright
I was brought up in the same street as him and his brother Jim had there pub, it was called the hurlet.
With my dad being fond of a pint or fifteen I spent a lot of my growing up in there lol Alex was a brilliant man and I have many fond memories of him with the best one being him giving me his runners up medal from the cup winners cup which I will cherish for the rest of my blue blue life

Alright
I was brought up in the same street as him and his brother Jim had there pub, it was called the hurlet.
With my dad being fond of a pint or fifteen I spent a lot of my growing up in there lol Alex was a brilliant man and I have many fond memories of him with the best one being him giving me his runners up medal from the cup winners cup which I will cherish for the rest of my blue blue life
That’s a collectors item.

I was a wee boy when he played his first game when he scored a hat trick then followed it up in the next game with two goals against Arsenal at Highbury, a game that was actually shown on live television. The greatest tribute to Alex Scott is that he was the immediate replacement for Willie Waddell and he was accepted by everyone as a more than adequate replacement. The proof was that one of my uncles, a fanatical Waddell man, came home from that first match and raved about Alex and he never wavered in his view, even when Willie Henderson replaced him.

I was a wee boy when he played his first game when he scored a hat trick then followed it up in the next game with two goals against Arsenal at Highbury, a game that was actually shown on live television. The greatest tribute to Alex Scott is that he was the immediate replacement for Willie Waddell and he was accepted by everyone as a more than adequate replacement. The proof was that one of my uncles, a fanatical Waddell man, came home from that first match and raved about Alex and he never wavered in his view, even when Willie Henderson replaced him.
My uncle who was a dyed-in-the-wool blue nose and someone who knew Struth well from his member's ticket days in the main stand loved Alex Scott and always maintained that he was better than Willie Henderson.
A big claim to make, but it should be remembered that when young Willie replaced Alex, Alex was the first choice Scotland right-winger.
A bit like Willie Stevenson who left with the signing of Baxter, Rangers unearthed some great talent in that period, but couldn't keep them all happy as good players didn't stay for reserve football and there was no squad concept back then.

I think it is fair to say that Alex was a very talented player.

My uncle who was a dyed-in-the-wool blue nose and someone who knew Struth well from his member's ticket days in the main stand loved Alex Scott and always maintained that he was better than Willie Henderson.
A big claim to make, but it should be remembered that when young Willie replaced Alex, Alex was the first choice Scotland right-winger.
A bit like Willie Stevenson who left with the signing of Baxter, Rangers unearthed some great talent in that period, but couldn't keep them all happy as good players didn't stay for reserve football and there was no squad concept back then.

I think it is fair to say that Alex was a very talented player.
A few of my older relatives rated Alex Scott over Willie Henderson.

Alex Scott was apparently my mum’s favourite player. She used to swap sides at half time so that she was near him when he took a corner.

My old man is called Alex, I was named after him but then again…..

Alex Scott would get it

E8-AA0043-7-CDE-4-A9-E-80-F6-6-A85408-EACA5.jpg

Was he the first British player to score in a European final?
The Old Inter Cities Fairs cup,started in the 50s.
A London X1 and Birmingham City appeared in finals back then.
I remember reading Jimmy Greaves scored for the London select side in the first ever final.

The Hurlet

Back