Alfie today, from a different perspective.

I’m as gutted as you tonight mate & he 100% should have scored today. You are 100% right on that.

All I’m saying is the boy HAS scored against very good teams & I’d also add that we wouldn’t make as many chances without him as we did today.

It was something like 19-4 shots on goal for us today. In fact they had one shot on target & it was a goal, which was offside as we know.
Thats what probably makes it worse mate that it was so one sided

Btw it's only a fucking mong that doesn't see that not scoring against them is a big big fucking problem, if we are throwing mong insults about it's a two way street.
If he was constantly missing sitters or badly fluffing every shot then you might have a point.

The penalty was poor and he skied one shot shortly after but other than that everything else was on target with power.

He didn't score but he played well today and caused them lots of problems and was one of the reasons we outplayed them. They could barely cope with him.

Where was our £7m man today, also Ronnie Barker would be better playing. Has Greg Stewart shit in the managers bed or something?

Alfie actually played well today but he should never have been allowed anywhere near that penalty.

He didn’t seem to compose himself before it & I also thought his run up was wrong but I’ll watch it again mate.

They did not have ONE legitimate shot on target in that match & we’ve somehow lost it. I’m so gutted for our players, management & fans tonight.

If he was constantly missing sitters or badly fluffing every shot then you might have a point.

The penalty was poor and he skied one shot shortly after but other than that everything else was on target with power.

He didn't score but he played well today and caused them lots of problems and was one of the reasons we outplayed them. They could barely cope with him.
He can cause as much hassle as need be in an about them but it's about goals and he struggles to find the net against them and it's deeply worrying.
Alfie has been brilliant for us and his goals have been crucial in our progress but until he slays those smelly mentally challenged bastards we are going to struggle to win a trophy domestically as those fucks are the team with the Monopoly on the silverware.

Yes, there was the odd moment when Alfie should probably have shown more composure and the comment that he might have been trying too hard is maybe true, but he is one helluva player nonetheless.
I can see why Gerrard changed the penalty taker, but I just wish Alfie had perhaps been given one already this season rather than pushed into the role in such a huge game.

Usually, after a loss against them I am desolate, but today at least I could see that the players were up for it, our tactics were good, we played a lot of nice stuff and opened them up often with some ease.
Steven Gerrard is a good manager, he understands players and mentality and the important thing is that our players focus on the many positives from today, because there was a ton of them.

He took a penalty v St Joseph’s mate & it was very good to be fair.

He’s played about a dozen times against them and never scored. You can analyse his numerous chances all you want but it’s just not good enough for a Rangers striker.
13 goals for Rangers in the Europa League this season, aye he's really shite isn't he?

Cut his moments out of the game and tell me what you’re left with. Yes he should have scored the pen and probably put at least one of the others away. How many of those chances did he create for himself?
His finishing was miles off today.

Ball greedy should have squared it Kent open goal always trying to do it himself he was shocking
I think you might want to pay close attention to the highlights. He had no intention of crossing but both times one of them had moved in to be in a position to intercept.

I thought he had a poor game and should have been subbed there were times he could have set up players but chose to shoot from impossible angles.
He's been great this season but has had no impact against them in 11 games.

I thought he had a poor game and should have been subbed there were times he could have set up players but chose to shoot from impossible angles.
He's been great this season but has had no impact against them in 11 games.
No impact today?! My god. I'm out.

With respect, Gordon Durie isn't in the same ball park in terms of importance or ability.

Morelos has scored more in three months that Durie managed in about 4 seasons for us.
Durie was at Rangers for 7 years.
Boyd also got one sclaffer in how many?
Alfie lacks composure, tries too hard but he made most of the chances himself. Our two other forwards are not pulling their weight.

Maybe we just have to disagree on the definition of "no show". The way I see it by your definition the only players who showed up today were Forster, Jullien and whichever one of them it was that took the free kick. Jack didn't change the game, score or play a crucial ball? Yet he was immense.

If we can step back from the situation for a second, do we agree Aribo and Kent are going to be great players for us and will make us money when they are sold on?

Arfield has been off the boil for a while but tbh Gerrard didn't have a choice here with the injury to Davis.
Jack would have changed the game but for a terrific save.
I am having a go at our so called offensive players contribution who’s goal contribution Is nowhere near good enough , same as last season Celtic have goal scorers all over the park we rely on Morelos.
In answer to your question Aribo has talent but I fear the Scottish game is for him
Kent is talented but for me not a 7m player and it’s difficult on his recent showings of see how we would make money on him.
Arfield we appear to agree , he is currently living on past reputation.

Last edited:
Ah, yes, maybe we should just have allowed him to continue.
I always feel more comfortable with the strikers taking spot-kicks, it just makes more sense to me.
Although Tav did have an extraordinarily good run.

He did seem to lose his composure as he was so desperate to hit it. I think thevpoint others made about his mindset due to earlier half chances maybe affected him. He’s still just 23yo.

He did seem to lose his composure as he was so desperate to hit it. I think thevpoint others made about his mindset due to earlier half chances maybe affected him. He’s still just 23yo.
I know, he is still quite young and yet carries a heavy burden on his back in games usually with ease.
However, often the harshest lessons make the best teachers.

I know, he is still quite young and yet carries a heavy burden on his back in games usually with ease.
However, often the harshest lessons make the best teachers.

Agree. He has carried it so impressively we sometimes forget that he turned 23 in June. Despite that, I do accept that he had his chances today.

We are a tough bunch in our expectations but, as you allude to, this may be the making of Alfie in the long term.

Jack would have changed the game but for a terrific save.
I am having a go at our so called offensive players contribution who’s goal contribution Is nowhere near good enough , same as last season Celtic have goal scorers all over the park we rely on Morelos.
In answer to your question Aribo has talent but I fear the Scottish game is for him
Kent is talented but for me not a 7m player and it’s difficult on his recent showings of see how we would make money on him.
Arfield we appear to agree , he is currently living on past reputation.

... but he didn't score. So he didn't show?? ;)

I don't disagree about their goal contribution.

I think Aribo will be a star for us and I'm confident we will in future be able to look back at the £6.5m for Kent as a sound investment. Let's pick this up again in 3 years :D

Arfield just isn't as brilliant as he was at the end of last season. I don't think he would have started today had Davis been fit. He isn't really playing badly this season in general he just isn't hitting the heights of last season. He is also not being played in the same position or in the same system (last season suited him more). His summer exploits with Canada and this recent personal issue have also hurt his performances.

He played well, but it was a case of trying too hard.

In a weird sort of way I actually feel more confident about things now after losing than I was before the game.

If we play with that sort of commitment and intensity in the remaining games against them, I fancy our chances, I really do.

And Alfie will score against them. He didn’t do a lot wrong today.

Very few of them did.

I love the wee man but he should have scored with the header.
The problem was the more he missed the more the worse it got for him.
The main point is that apart from the shot from Jack, no one else looked like scoring.

I think Aribo will be a star for us and I'm confident we will in future be able to look back at the £6.5m for Kent as a sound investment. Let's pick this up again in 3 years :D

Arfield just isn't as brilliant as he was at the end of last season. I don't think he would have started today had Davis been fit. He isn't really playing badly this season in general he just isn't hitting the heights of last season. He is also not being played in the same position or in the same system (last season suited him more). His summer exploits with Canada and this recent personal issue have also hurt his performances.

Fair comments FMP.

Reactions: fmp
Alfie will come good and score against them this season I have no doubt about it, today just wasn’t his day he played well and it’s only a matter of time until we topple them we played them off the park and our players gave absolutely everything they had I am devastated like everyone else but our day is coming and soon.

He played well, but it was a case of trying too hard.

In a weird sort of way I actually feel more confident about things now after losing than I was before the game.

If we play with that sort of commitment and intensity in the remaining games against them, I fancy our chances, I really do.

And Alfie will score against them. He didn’t do a lot wrong today.

Very few of them did.
Normally I would be reaching for the booze after a loss in a final to them, but this evening I although bitterly disappointed, I can see a lot of positives from today's match.
I don't think this will harm the player's confidences instead they should at least, when the dust has settled, glean some positives from today.
Yes, we did lose and it hurts, but we outplayed them, indeed we stopped them from getting out of their half, and all that separated us at the end of the day was desperately poor officiating.

They did make a second chance, but that was only after they had scored a goal that should never have stood and the dynamic of the match meant that we had to chase the game.
The next game we play against them will, of course, be totally different, they always are, but this Rangers side doesn't have to go into it with anything less than full confidence.

Reactions: fmp
Had he netted just 1 goal in any of the meak capitulation then he would have the monkey round his neck.
We believe, we always believe

We agree on some points , certainly not on the definition of no show lol.
I think Ryan Jack as usual was one of our best players , he is captain material , not many would have played on after his injury and here lies part of the problem with our team i.e mentality.
Aribo unfortunately falls in to this category for me , his injury V Livi has had an effect.
Kent needs to do it when it matters but given he did against Celtic last December he needs to get back to that ASAP.
Arfield given how people were saying we had too many midfield players at the start of the season shows how wrong they were.
Bottom line for me and you do agree is these guys need to start chipping in wit( goals , Ojo included because Alfie can’t carry them all season.

If he has that many chances on Thursday night he will score 4/5 goals. The only one I am really angry with is the penalty. If he's going to hit it then just smash it down the middle as hard as he can.

He’s played about a dozen times against them and never scored. You can analyse his numerous chances all you want but it’s just not good enough for a Rangers striker.

It also took Colin Stein a long time to score against the Tims and I think he only managed about three goals against them in his two spells at Ibrox. Doesn't make me feel any better tonight though.

Im sorry but when a striker has the sheer amount of chances he had, including a penalty and didn't score a single goal they had a poor game. That's why they are there to put away quality chances. This isn't some match where Alfie had a couple of chances and their keeper made great saves, he should have buried at least a couple of those and his penalty was dreadful on top of it

Occasionally you come up against a keeper who has the game of his life, sometimes despite creating multiple chances it looks like you're never going to score, sometimes you'll be on the receiving end of poor officiating. Today we were hit by all three, the perfect storm, in a Cup Final. We played very well and should take some heart and encouragement from that.
3 players were offside at their goal.
We were denied at least one more penalty.
Alfie's saved penalty should have been retaken. Hopefully we'll get a good reaction and result on Thursday and the injuries to Davis and Helander clear up quickly.

If it wasn't for Morelos we wouldn't even be in a Cup Final. I actually question what goes on in people's minds when they are saying "Not good enough to be a Rangers striker."

Back