Alfredo “could stay at rangers for years to come”

Buff First Goalscorer tonight 3/1
11/2 to score 2 or more

I’ll be having some of that. Tonight is the night he comes back into form.

I did say on here earlier in the year that he was quite happy to stay and all the transfer rumours were his agent trying to get him an improved contract.

I could totally see a place where he stays with us a few more years and just decides he is pretty content with life here.

I love Alfie

However he is coasting at rangers he looks like the guy who now has money but zero motivation to improve

For me he is overweight, he looks slow sluggish flat footed

He is nothing the dynamic battering ram skilful powerful player of 2018-2019

While he has added a few things to his game he has lost that eye of the tiger warrior attitude he needs to get it back

My honest view is when he’s on his game such as Porto, Feyenoord, Benfica etc, he’s a top top player and a real asset.

But when he’s not on the top of his game which on the evidence to date, tends to be for half of every season, he’s either average or rotten.

This season, to me and others that have said it, I think he looks stale and as it stands right now, I think we should be looking to move him on and hopefully get £10m or so for him in January or the summer.

Unless he discovers his top form, there’s not a chance we’re getting close to £15m or so for him.

I think it would be best if it all parties if he moved on

would you rather he said it after getting 3pts vs Hibs
or perhaps scoring the goal that got us the Europa League money?
i thought he was pretty poor in the Hibs game too.

I don’t really want to be driven into a corner where i’m helping justify anybody’s blind wean-like love for a footballer by seemingly suggesting he’s terrible. He’s not, he’s been great. It was a while ago. He does score the odd goal but passes up far too many chances to justify this mythical price tag some have.

I love Alfie

However he is coasting at rangers he looks like the guy who now has money but zero motivation to improve

For me he is overweight, he looks slow sluggish flat footed

He is nothing the dynamic battering ram skilful powerful player of 2018-2019

While he has added a few things to his game he has lost that eye of the tiger warrior attitude he needs to get it back
Exactly, we should have took the 17 mill or whatever it was and went with our thanks and best wishes.

I would expect the guy who has played the majority of the minutes as a number nine to have more than five in 15.
He isn’t playing the same way as last year, he has been told to alter his game, a bind person can see that. We need the greedy Alfie back, he scores simple as that

His style completely changed last year in terms of his overall game which he needed to add, yes he has missed chances, but he did last year as well, it's the lack of goals from other areas of the team that brings the spotlight on to Alfie's current scoring rate.

Decision to be made soon on Alfredo,we either offer him an extension but I'd imagine he must be very close to our ceiling in terms of wages?..............or we sell in January or June as we cannot let this run similar to Goldson's contract situation.

Yeah that explains the sitters he’s missing.
So we are blaming Alfie for the mediocre team we have been watching the last 5 or 6 games??
Suppose it was his fault last year when we didn’t win the Europa league too?
Seriously, strikers miss chances, as do midfielders misplace passes and defenders lose a man! It happens, but fans have players they hang shit on for simple reasons.
We all have one

So we are blaming Alfie for the mediocre team we have been watching the last 5 or 6 games??
Suppose it was his fault last year when we didn’t win the Europa league too?
Seriously, strikers miss chances, as do midfielders misplace passes and defenders lose a man! It happens, but fans have players they hang shit on for simple reasons.
We all have one

You’re going off on a tangent here. You originally put his poor form down to an altered position. I simply stated that doesn’t explain the sitters he’s missing, of which there’s been far too many this season from our main striker.

Being honest, he has been pretty poor in front of goal since he was sent off against Celtic.
Looked great before that but seems to snatch at shots far too often. With the amount of chances Rangers create our main striker should be 30+ goals a season. He has added more to his game but it seems to have slowed the goals down.
We haven't really got a player who is prolific these days and it makes for close scorelines in games we are actually playing pretty well.
I like Morelos but he is not a clinical finisher. If he gets time he usually fluffs the chance, he's more of an instinctive striker. If he's one on one with a keeper he generally misses. I think he has slowed down since 2019 and that doesn't help when he's through on goal.

am i right that we gave Alfie big contract extensions way before the contract expiry? It would be fun to chart his form in relation to those (i think there’s been at least two)

I really Hope Morelos scores tonight, Morelos problem is he's never really been pushed at Rangers so seems to have stagnated, some players need real competition to get the best from them.

Some nice words from Morelos but I still expect he will move on in the summer. He must be already on the maximum wage we will pay so I would be very surprised if he signs a new deal.

Hopefully he can go on a good run of games now and we can maximise any potential fee.
I believe he is on £30-35k a week. He is one of our top 3 earners already. Given what his agent is like I doubt he'd accept a new contract without a bump in wages. As good as he can be I don't think we can justify giving him a larger wage. Especially as it has the unfortunate side effect of making other players agents wanting increases in wages aswell.

I'd take the Alfie that gets suspended and disciplinary hearings if it means we get the Alfie thats a goal scoring machine back.

You’re going off on a tangent here. You originally put his poor form down to an altered position. I simply stated that doesn’t explain the sitters he’s missing, of which there’s been far too many this season from our main striker.
How many sitters?? He puts himself into positions to score, I can forgive him a few.
He isn’t the reason we are playing poorly!

Agreed.

Financially we will absolutely regret not accepting Lille's offer. That was madness and several of us said so at the time.

The board badly mis-judged that - and it has cost us a lot money. Money that we badly need especially if you look at the last couple of windows and our financial position.

Holding on to players does not always turn out to be the best thing.
It was the right decision 100%

We have no idea how the season could have gone if we sold Buff

Wouldn’t surprise me in all honesty

Alfredo gets a hard time from some of us for this but all he’s said is it would be good to play in a better league

It’s his agent that spreads the want away pish constantly
And that's no good for Alfie,all it does is distract him and I wish he'd get rid of his agent,that would be a massive help to him. When he's on form there's not a player like him and I just hope the one to ones with the gaffer fire him up again. He'll bounce back,he's too good not to.

Alfie has been forced to change his natural aggressive game due to the media campaign to try and get him sent off every other week.
I'm struggling to think of a single red card, or even many yellows, that were for his physical style. All of them seem to have been for back chat, simulation, off the ball incidents etc etc

And none of them stop him scoring simple chances. That's not Kevin Clancy's fault.

Is he the most popular player we have? He's certainly my current favourite. If selected tonight we need him to return to goalscoring form.

Open to question TBH.

Morelos goes, we get 16 million, great, we bring in a new forward, they struggle to settle in, we get beat against Galatasaray, we miss out on European revenue, things don't click domestically with the new forward and link the way it did with Alfie in terms of how he brings others into play, we fck the league, Celtic win 10, we need to remove the manager, we need to recruit a new manager, we need to overhaul the squad.

I would expect with retention of Morelos, with the season just gone and if we make the CL group stages it will feel like 16 million well saved.
I agree, I wouldn’t change a thing regard our squad from last season. In the league we were unplayable for most part & we had a fantastic European campaign with Buf playing.

Hopefully he can shut a few people up tonight.

Back