All this fouling that goes on at corners

Bearsden Bear

Is nobody else fed up with this? It seems every team does it, but it is against the laws of the game.

Those of us who have experience playing up front will vouch for the fact that even a slight nudge can make the difference between your header (or shot) going in the goal or just missing it.

The solution lies with the football authorities.

Far more penalty awards would quickly stamp it out, and that is what I would like to see.

This is the most annoying thing for me in the modern game.
It has went from a wee fly nudge here and there to full blown NFL blocks and 99% of the time it’s all completely ignored.

It sometimes seems to me if a ref has it in for a team or is on the take it’s always easy for them to spot an infringement and award a penalty kick. ( BTW I. hate referees),

I’ve been saying this for years. Not so bothered about minor bumps more so the whole scale pulling and holding by defenders. As the OP says, it’s easily stamped out if referees just stick to the rules and award a penalty every time it’s done. It would soon stop if the refereeing was consistent

For me the issue lies in the different way offences committed by defenders and attacked are referreed.

A defender goes down or throws their hand up and it’s an instant foul, yet defenders get away with ridiculous shirt pulling and fouls without penalties being given.

You have to recognise that contact will happen at a corner.

Such refereeing at corners would result in a complete pantomime where people would just set out to win a penalty.

I've noticed in recent years a player of the defensive team will swan dive at the corner despite little or no contact because 9 times out of 10 a freekick is given. Becoming a lot more prevalent ive seen.

What great way to relieve the pressure from your own goal. It's full proof and utterly depressing

When it's as blatant as the defender not looking at the ball or has both hands around the attacker then there should be a penalty

Is nobody else fed up with this? It seems every team does it, but it is against the laws of the game.

Those of us who have experience playing up front will vouch for the fact that even a slight nudge can make the difference between your header (or shot) going in the goal or just missing it.

The solution lies with the football authorities.

Far more penalty awards would quickly stamp it out, and that is what I would like to see.
9/10 times it happens before the corner is taken, in which case you cannot award a penalty as the ball isn’t in play is my understanding. That said i’ve seen it happen after it has been taken, and the ref orders a retake and books offenders. Who knows, certainly not the ref’s anyway :)

Back