Barisic - An Inexplicable Footballer

The first half he was way off. Far better in the second. I was in the main stand and it really bamboozles how a left footed player can check back, off their stronger side, so often.

A player who needs to get angry to be the player he is capable of.

MW5g_f.gif

It's so strange. He created both goals, but both crosses were pretty mediocre and brain farts from the defender and goalkeeper (and a brilliant leap from Tilllman) turned them into goals. On any other night we're raging at his delivery.

But there were also times where he was driving forward, looking for passes and getting really involved.

Hopefully this is one of those wee confidence sparks that turns him into a world beater for half a season.

I cannot think of a game that encapsulated a Rangers player as much. Dreadful first half - the second half, he played like a proper leader.

This guy veers from poor to great like something I've never seen before. It's bizarre.
1st half he didn’t play the passes when he should of. 2nd half he did. It’s that simple. He was passing at the right time to Lawrence who was dropping into space. He was also clearly told he had license to run behind once we went 1-0 up.

I don’t agree with the hyperbole descriptions of his performance in either half. He wasn’t terrible first half in a defensive sense but seemed incapable of a forward pass. That in turn kept Kent out of the game for spells. I’ll agree he was better in the second half but that’s about it. I thought the improvement was down to the crowd urging him on.

To be honest he wasn’t the worst tonight. Kent struggled to find space, and the number of times we gave the ball needlessly away from sloppy passes in our own half was unreal.

I struggled with what people were expecting of him going forward in the first half, Kent stood still and left him no space everytime he was coming forward to he had to pass backwards/sideways. Lawrence spends a lot of time on that left inside channel as well which killed even more space. Once players moved around second half he started driving forward.

Defensively he was excellent from start to finish though, wasn’t letting anything by him.

I thought he was totally fine

Kent was doubled up constantly tonight. He had literally nothing to hit in front of him at times

That happens a lot re Kent though. First half he was passive and playing in his shell. Second half he looked incisive and was taking things on.

Not to be go all Daniel Cousin body language expert either, but he just looked a different beast second half. There was a bit of swagger about his play.

his time here has been poor to average with moments of quality. A player we shouldve sold.

I wish the roasters would take their Borna hate to %^*&.

folk go to the game willing him to make a mistake so they can berate him.

He had no out ball in front of him the entire first half, but was the only one getting grief for going back or sideways.

Nobody wants him to make a mistake that's just stupid.

But he's nearly 30 ffs, he's not a youngster who's going through a bad patch or lack of confidence. He's an experienced international player yet he plays terrified at times.

Not good enough.

Thought he was fine in the first half. He turned back some times because nothing was on but generally he was playing forward and putting balls in the box.

Kent was doubled up constantly tonight. He had literally nothing to hit in front of him at times
No space to run into it was like playing a slightly better livi.

Thing is we might not like it at times and we need to be quicker at losing ball side to side it was starting to tire them out

if there is ever a player that feasts on confidence its him!

I won't allow anyone to call him a shitebag or a coward either, them two penalties he scored vs Antwerp is testimony to his character!

some of his crossing tonight was godly!

He reminds me of the little girl with a curl. When he is good, he is very very good and when he is bad be is awful.

That was my take as well. From the Broomloan side of the Main Stand the pass to Kent rarely looked on. So it was either a punt into box or back to one of the central defemders.

Same. I thought he was fine in the first half, yet people were slating him if he put a cross in or passed it to Sands. What else can he do if Kent is double marked all night?

Some of the grief he was getting was embarrassing. The demand for him to push forward when there was literally no space or no ball on was absolutely ridiculous!

Some of the grief he was getting was embarrassing. The demand for him to push forward when there was literally no space or no ball on was absolutely ridiculous!

Except he had acres of space all night since USG allowed him to have it.

Lawrence was constantly moving to receive it from him but nope, his first instinct is turn back and play safe.

First half he wasn't taking corners either. Trying hard to find a pass with nobody making space for him. Second half we were more aggressive and this suits his style of play more.
Its the Goldson-Sands-Goldson-Sands-Barisic passes which slow down our surges forward instead of Goldson direct to Barisic.

I didn’t think he was dreadful in first half, he didn’t do much wrong, just looked a bit nervy at times but certainly not dreadful imo.

He was getting stick from folk around me for going backwards or sideways with passes, when there was nothing wrong with it. He was keeping possession and we had to keep shifting them about with the shape and style they played in.

Except he had acres of space all night since USG allowed him to have it.

Lawrence was constantly moving to receive it from him but nope, his first instinct is turn back and play safe.
They didn’t allow him specifically to have it. They play a 532 and naturally when play is switched the opposite full back will get some time on ball while they all shift across.

There were loads of over-reactions to his play in the first half imo, he wasn’t that bad!

I wish the roasters would take their Borna hate to %^*&.

folk go to the game willing him to make a mistake so they can berate him.

He had no out ball in front of him the entire first half, but was the only one getting grief for going back or sideways.
Some of the abuse Borna got tonight from a sizeable section of the fans was disgusting. Likewise, the one time Tillman got caught on the ball in front of the Govan.

I’m saying this as we won and not a reactive thing to a loss.

A lot in our stands have got to support some of our players a bit more.

Thought he was good all night, Kent was never moving when he got the ball especially in the first half, so didn't really have much on for him. He defended well and got forward.. I'll take that borna every week

I honestly can't be fucked with it anymore.

Nothing worse than having a defender you have no idea what you're going to get from every game.

The bad is outweighing the good with Borna now imo.

At last a bit of sense. Barisic was fine in the first half. Crowd reaction to him around me in CD5 was horrendous. Some real ignorant cnuts among them. Most times he got the ball there was no forward pass on so played a pass inside and kept possession, yet still the fcukwits howled at him.

He’s a good footballer playing at an elite level, who has ability, skills and at times moments of brilliance

Not totally sure it’s a mystery maybe the players he plays against are also good at their profession, the criticism these guys get is usually over the top

Didnt think he was dreadful first half
Clearly he was the sitter with Kent going forward and on the other side tillman held back to let tav go

Thought Borna was terrific tonight

Tav is a different animal, stamina levels and generally his consistency. Just remember he's in his 5th year partnering Goldson undisturbed.

Barisic has competed with Flannigan and Halliday (laughable) then had to parter with... Katic, Worral, Balogun, Bassey, Sands, Souttar and now Davies.

I think people forget half those players are ideally RCB playing as a LCB and zero consistency in a partnership with any of them.

He played it safe and grew into the game. Full Time on his knees blessing himself, felt sorry for the guy. Over the moon for him.

A confidence player is the commonly used statement, but I'm not sure if you can come and go with confidence as much as he does!

A truly bizarre player; at times you'd bite someones hand off just to clear the wage off the club and others you'd want 10m plus!

I don’t agree with the hyperbole descriptions of his performance in either half. He wasn’t terrible first half in a defensive sense but seemed incapable of a forward pass. That in turn kept Kent out of the game for spells. I’ll agree he was better in the second half but that’s about it. I thought the improvement was down to the crowd urging him on.
A lot of ppl on here only talk in hyperbole.

I was raging at the cross that Tillman ended up scoring. Floated, way too high, should have been the keeper's all day long. Somehow wetbe abd then ed up scoring the goal that won the tie.
You and me both Vadar, I was thinking WTF is that shite supposed to be and the Tillman scores his White Men Can't Jump goal, YAAAASSSS!!! B-D :)):shh:

Confidence player.

He goes to either end of the scale very easily.

Up until the opener tonight he was rank rotten. More Borna Backtheway. That wee bit of luck later, he picks his game up.

Let's not forget that he was nearly out on his arse before an injury crisis had him in the side against St Mirren, and he was honking that day until that sublime free-kick won it for us.

USG were letting him have the ball all night because they knew he wouldn't drive into space the way Tav does. As a fullback he's nowhere near good enough for us anymore IMO.
That's fair but we all know Tav isn't exactly your usual fullback either. Hopefully Yilmaz will be able to produce more in that manner but it's going to be quite an acheivement to be as penetrating as Tav.

I just think those down that side & in the middle of the park need to be giving him more options. For instance Kent could be using his pace & making runs in behind for Borna to be passing on to but he just stands there waiting on the ball to his feet & it ends up the same old running into cul-de-sacs all too often.

At last a bit of sense. Barisic was fine in the first half. Crowd reaction to him around me in CD5 was horrendous. Some real ignorant cnuts among them. Most times he got the ball there was no forward pass on so played a pass inside and kept possession, yet still the fcukwits howled at him.
That’s what I observed around me too.

Even when Kent lost the ball, Borna was getting pelters.

I don’t know where those who say the passes inside were on were sitting, but from the CD it was clear options were limited for large parts of the first half and he had to pass back.

Not saying there weren’t some frustrating passes from him, but that could be said of a few others at times tonight.

Got a feeling Barisic will step up to the plate with a proper challenge to his position and be a mainstay as we win the league

I cannot think of a game that encapsulated a Rangers player as much. Dreadful first half - the second half, he played like a proper leader.

This guy veers from poor to great like something I've never seen before. It's bizarre.

TBH I'm very much more concerned about Goldson's tendency to have brain farts and give the ball away for no apparent reason and when under comparatively little pressure.

He must be hard work to man manage and also knowing what to say to him so he can actually play as well as he can.

Very much the kind of guy who needs a cuddle and told he's a player then the next minute looks like he needs shouted at and fired up...Strange one!

I’m pretty sure the issue is in his head. Maybe he doesn’t believe in himself. Maybe it’s instructional. Maybe he knows what’ll happen if he tries something risky and it doesn’t come off.

I dunno if he’s ever seen a sports psychologist - I’d imagine yes.

But what I do know is, you know when you’re playing badly

You want nothing more than to not be playing badly but the more you focus on it the worse you get. You want to run away and hide and let someone else come on for you.

Add in the crowd being on your back, it’s not going to help anybody, but when you’re out there, knowing you’re not playing well, a boo or a groan your every touch. It’s not going to make you play any better.

Fair play to him for coming out the second half the way he did.

He must be hard work to man manage and also knowing what to say to him so he can actually play as well as he can.

Very much the kind of guy who needs a cuddle and told he's a player then the next minute looks like he needs shouted at and fired up...Strange one!
I’d love to sit down with him and find out what’s really going through his head, both when he’s good and when he’s bad, are there outside factors causing it.

Very interesting case for SP

He turned to the Govan at one point to Gee up the crowd and I thought, you are the feckin reason the crowd is going mental most of the time with your passing backwards.

There was a couple of times it was worth your rage but a lot of the time he had nothing to pass to. Kent just stood static while being marked & Lawrence wasn't much better in the 1st half. I'm not sure what you're expecting him to do? He's not dribbling by folks. His defending was fine tonight too.

He's a bit of a whipping boy for a lot & I'm not saying he's without fault but some of the pelters he gets is just moaning for the sake of it.

Exactly it. At the game people were screaming at him to go forward. When you looked where Kent was they had 3 or 4 men in that area. He had nowhere to go forward to.

People just want to scream nonsense for the sake of it. Same in that match thread with some amount of shite.

Back