Basile Boli - Video

Genuinely believed we’d signed one of the best defenders in the world when we signed him.
%^*& knows what happened but he eventually ended up playing at right back!

A bizarre signing looking back - he should have been an inspired choice but it just didn’t happen.

Easy to blame Walter Smith playing him at right back but the player could have done more as well.
The back 3 them at we went to by 1995 with Boli, Gough and McLaren would have been a joy to watch.

Boil and Laudrup both arrived that summer, and I remember being more excited about Boli coming as he was a tremendous player for Marseille in his day.

Boli’s debut against Man Utd in the pre-season friendly was tremendous but his time was largely disappointing in games that mattered after that. The infamous L’Equipe interview probably didn’t help either.

Most people were more excited about Boli than Laudrup. A complete waste of a signing mainly because he was constantly played out of position. He really should have been a star in Scotland but looked like he had never seen a ball a lot of the time.

Boil and Laudrup both arrived that summer, and I remember being more excited about Boli coming as he was a tremendous player for Marseille in his day.

Boli’s debut against Man Utd in the pre-season friendly was tremendous but his time was largely disappointing in games that mattered after that. The infamous L’Equipe interview probably didn’t help either.

What he said in that interview was enlightening though - it wasn’t like today, there was a lot of mystery about what went on day to day and him slating the preparation for big games was a real eye opener for most.

Boli should have been a sensation for us and excelled in Scottish Football. A baffling episode from the guy who loved a diving header out of defence.

I had a t-shirt with "Only 1 King Boli" on the front.

I was at Brockville for that first goal. Laudrup scored the other.

Last edited by a moderator:
My controversial take

Boli was nearer 37 than 27 when we signed him.

There were certainly a lot of rumours about that. Can't remember if it was at that time or a bit later.

If I'm not mistaken, when African kids rocked up in France, they were given an age at that time. Would that be correct?

I do remember playing in an U12's tournament in France, against Racing Paris BC, and %^*& me they had some huge black guys playing for them. We were all wee skinny pasty Glaswegians and they had guys with muscles and six packs the lot!:D:D

Back