Official BBC statement on relationship with Rangers

Excellent news.

We need to get a voice on Sportsound to put forward our point of view when it comes to - for example - the governance of the game. Statements are of little consequence.

It’s also absurd my Mum couldn’t listen to the games on the radio.

Quite the apology after spending years claiming we were just at it. Likely missing out on the European run last season was the straw that broke the camels back to someone higher up in the BBC.

Too little too late for me. Won't be long until they start their pish again. It's what happens with the people that they employ.
It looks like the hierarchy have saw what happened with the Europa Cup and have decided to intervene. This statement wasn’t involving any of the current crop of rattlers masquerading as BBC employees. They will revert to type sooner or later as these bigots find it impossible to differentiate between professional obligations and hatred, as we all have seen countless times in many spheres of employment.

I trust Rangers now have a direct reporting conduit that bypassses BBC Scotland.

Wrong move by the club in my opinion.
I know that BBC shortbread were not banned, but after the editing of a McCoist interview to make it look as if he was laughing at the serious issue of sectarianism, they should have been told that an indefinite ban was in place, until everyone involved was sacked.

Only if we end up in Europa League, surely?
Instead of Champions League.

Also Kenny (McIntyre) is at the helm now.
Kenny is one of the really… good guys.

Let’s see what happens.
The republicans have Kenny McIntyre pegged as a grand master. He'll be burned as a heretic soon.

Any sense that this is the result of staff changes, ie fancy dan Richard leaving and his place being taken by Kenny McIntyre?

They may have muttered something but we will all still be making sure they stick to their charter of impartiality

We played the long game and won.

Showed we will not be bullied and this is a massive victory for us and quite the red face for a behemoth of a corporation.

That statement was not put out lightly and will have been sanctioned from the very top.

No doubt our European exploits had a lot to do with it as well.
Hopefully someone at the top level in BBC Scotland has had their ass well and truly reamed.

probably been told by broadcasters that they would not be allowed to commentate from a room using their pictures

Went down like a cup of cold sick apparently B-)
I can believe that.
The statement has been made, but what has happened inside the organisation to change the culture that was responsible for the drop in standards when reporting on Rangers?
Probably nothing.

It is a bit like FIlth FC to that parent in the US.
We are sorry for your child being abused, but we will continue to employ all of the abusers regardless. We promise it won't happen again.

Last edited:
In all honesty, I'm quite happy with this outcome. Despite their faults (for which they have apologised,) they are still our national broadcaster and I welcome them back to Ibrox.

That said, I'll be watching and listening keenly to every broadcast for any sign of bias.

Now that they have accepted that they were not impartial will they be reopening 10 years' worth of complaints?
This.

While I'm pleased with todays outcome, they should be fùcking hammered for the culture of lying to deflect from their bias and hatred.

Are BBC planning a revamp of their football coverage/team? With Dick Gordon leaving, let's hope there are others following him notably Stewart who is completing incapable of objectivity.

Interesting that the only time BBC Scotland is mentioned in the statement is with regards to the "disagreement" every other reference is the BBC.

There's actually a Rangers fan on that shite forum.

His latest post. :))

That is some of the scummiest depths of the internet, that.

Check this nugget out:

"Stewart is a good measure of how seriously to take someone's views on punditry. He's so far above average that the views of anyone who says he's shite can be safely ignored"

Some dumb Jambo c**nt posted that :D :D :D

The very fact that the BBC have released this statement and admitting their bias against is acknowledgement that they have broken their charter regarding reporting impartially. This is a massive climb down from them. An apology to those that have complained to them, only to be dismissed out of hand, would have been nice as they’ve clearly been vindicated and proved correct.

But, whilst I’ll accept the apology in an effort to move forward, actions speak louder than words. Let’s hope they mean what they say, but I’ll not be holding my breathe as it appears ingrained from top to bottom there.

I’ve no doubt this wasn’t instigated at BBC Scotland, who will now continue with their coverage as they see fit. Impartial? We’ll see.

But the at the very first instance of one-sidedness should result in Rangers coming down on them like a ton of bricks. Rangers will be aware of from where this directive came and should forward their response there - and not to Pacific Quay.

Back