Bears Abroad

Born and raised in Northern Ontario Canada, moved down here just outside of Toronto with my now ex-wife. I have to admit that I am a Johnny Come Lately to Rangers as I began following the club after the criminal booting down to the 4th tier. I started reading RangersMedia (I know, I know) and then found this place in the last couple of years. Although I am a late convert to Rangers I hate those Green and Grey bastards like I have been a fan for 50 years!
Welcome to Southern Ontario :cool:

Saudi for me

Worked with the BP in Grangemouth and then Jacobs Engineering Bothwell street Glasgow as a contractor since 1995
Moved out to Saudi with Aramco August 2014 just beat the big oil price slump , so have been very lucky - ( offer I couldn't refuse as well ) been here ever since , I'm retiring on Jume the 30th and heading back home to Renfrew , to try and get Ma season ticket back :) just turned 55 (so was written in the stars) can't effin wait only 128 days to go. Great fun watching the rangers games up until this year with keys and Gray on bein sports , much better than sky !
Seen the gers actually play over here in that friendly in Dubai :)
If anyone gets the chance to work direct hire with Aramco then please take it - you'll not regret it

I’m currently spending half my time between home and Duhok province in Kurdistan.. Got my local work colleagues asking about Rangers every other day, they are mostly into EPL football but due to Gerrard they all have an interest in our game too.
I know quite a few people in Kurdistan because I was a Kurdish activist, if you’re ever in any trouble over there send me a message, I might be able to help

Sydney born and bred. I have some distant Scottish heritage, but nothing in the past century.
Grew up in the 9IAR era and was absolutely taken with the success of that side. Then when I learned about the heritage from a Scottish friend, I knew it was absolutely my club.
Started going to RSC nights (it was very hard to otherwise watch the games back then) when I was 18 and just continued on ever since.
I don't follow any other teams or any other leagues. It's just Rangers for me.
Do they still meet in the Aurora on Elizabeth St?

Made my way to Houston, Texas in 1998 via Canada, California & Virginia. Love Texas and don't see a permanent return to the UK anytime in the future. Family have made it out several times to visit but I do miss Ibrox & Rangers although it's way easier to Follow Follow from afar today than it was in the days when all we had was dodgy BBC World Service reception! Founder member of the Texas True Blues which is still going strong after 20+ years. WATP!

I know quite a few people in Kurdistan because I was a Kurdish activist, if you’re ever in any trouble over there send me a message, I might be able to help
Thank you, much appreciated.. It’s an amazing part of the world with some of the most friendliest people I’ve met.

Thank you, much appreciated.. It’s an amazing part of the world with some of the most friendliest people I’ve met.
Say that again mate, I only know them from online but I’ve made some of the greatest friends I’ve ever had, amongst them a member of the assayish (which could maybe be handy for you one day lol) journalists, mps you name it!

Been in Abuja Nigeria for just over a year, brought three champions / 55 flags back from leave last week to put up when we win. All epl fans here but when I talk about Balogun and to a lesser degree Aribo they get interested.

Saudi for me

Worked with the BP in Grangemouth and then Jacobs Engineering Bothwell street Glasgow as a contractor since 1995
Moved out to Saudi with Aramco August 2014 just beat the big oil price slump , so have been very lucky - ( offer I couldn't refuse as well ) been here ever since , I'm retiring on Jume the 30th and heading back home to Renfrew , to try and get Ma season ticket back :) just turned 55 (so was written in the stars) can't effin wait only 128 days to go. Great fun watching the Rangers games up until this year with keys and Gray on bein sports , much better than sky !
Seen the gers actually play over here in that friendly in Dubai :)
If anyone gets the chance to work direct hire with Aramco then please take it - you'll not regret it
What’s the job opportunities like at the moment for E&I roles? Always heard good things about them.

I live in Rockingham, Western Australia. Moved here in 2016 and back to Ayrshire a year later only to return to Australia a year later. I've been here ever since.

Moved to Hong Kong in 2018. I miss Ibrox, but that is about all I miss. There is a great RSC here and the way of life is just amazing.

I doubt ill will ever move back to Scotland - not while the place is run by crackpot nationalists, at least.

I have been living in Spain for five years, playing golf, walking football, padle tennis it is a great lifestyle the only thing is that there's no other bears in my village. Plenty of expats who support English teams they all comment on how well the Famous Glasgow Rangers are doing but I really miss talking to other bears , that's why first thing in the morning I am on FF
WATP
What part of Spain is that,the time difference must be horrendous if you log on here first thing in the morning as the time shows 15.08 our time ffs!!B-D

Last edited:
Left west Lothian in 2008 for a 1 year working holiday in WA. Ended up staying for 5 years, then moved to NZ and been here ever since. Settled with weans now. Cant see me moving back now.

Dad was a doctor so we moved from Bishopbriggs to Kentucky in 1974 as he was offered a partnership in a practice over there. I was 8 and hated it; no soccer for kids, no coaching and I wanted to play for Rangers. He didn't care what anyone (a young wife and four children) wanted other than himself.

Our first day in the US there were tornadoes all through the mid-west. Just seemed a lovely overcast day to us so we piled in the car to drive from Chicago to Louisville, somehow missing them all. Dropped our stuff off in the hotel and got back in the car to go see our new home and were wondering where everyone was when we drove through the neighborhood.

15 mins after we left a tornado ripped through and leveled most of the houses there. Ours was damaged enough that we couldn't move in for a month. There were hardly any restaurants around that didn't sustain damage so we ended up eating dinner with different people kind enough to host us while we waited for our roof to be fixed. One family that hosted us was the Binghams, the then owners of the Louisville paper called the Courier Journal.

We sat in their kitchen that was probably bigger than our entire house in Bishopbriggs to eat dinner. I remember getting the back of my dad's hand afterwards because I was slipping food I didn't like into my jacket pocket that night. lol

It took me 46 years to get back to the UK but now I'm an hour outside of London considering where I'll settle down or if I will at all. May just get an RV (as they call them in the US) and travel around as work can be done from anywhere for me, as long as I have internet connection. Itching to get to some games!

I used to work for O2 as a trainer/coach at Skypark. Relocated down to Bury but really struggled living there and the call centre life(suffered my first and hopefully my last mental health issues).

Moved back to Glasgow and worked as a development manager who's client was O2 retail! Job and money was ok as I covered all of Scotland but always wanted to move back to either France or Spain.
Final straw was summer time when I was visiting the ayrshire shops. There had been rain for most of that summer and I just decided I had enough and was moving. Wife happy to try somewhere else so found a job as an English language teacher in Grenoble and away we went.
We love life here, 2 kids and our own holiday rental business where we manage around 13 properties for mainly cyclists in the summer and skiers in the winter.
As everywhere there are challenges but having a decent climate helps!

I like to visit Glasgow to catch up with people and try and catch a game but happy again when we get back to France. I'll maybe try and start up the Alps Loyal supporters club!

Dad was a doctor so we moved from Bishopbriggs to Kentucky in 1974 as he was offered a partnership in a practice over there. I was 8 and hated it; no soccer for kids, no coaching and I wanted to play for Rangers. He didn't care what anyone (a young wife and four children) wanted other than himself.

Our first day in the US there were tornadoes all through the mid-west. Just seemed a lovely overcast day to us so we piled in the car to drive from Chicago to Louisville, somehow missing them all. Dropped our stuff off in the hotel and got back in the car to go see our new home and were wondering where everyone was when we drove through the neighborhood.

15 mins after we left a tornado ripped through and leveled most of the houses there. Ours was damaged enough that we couldn't move in for a month. There were hardly any restaurants around that didn't sustain damage so we ended up eating dinner with different people kind enough to host us while we waited for our roof to be fixed. One family that hosted us was the Binghams, the then owners of the Louisville paper called the Courier Journal.

We sat in their kitchen that was probably bigger than our entire house in Bishopbriggs to eat dinner. I remember getting the back of my dad's hand afterwards because I was slipping food I didn't like into my jacket pocket that night. lol

It took me 46 years to get back to the UK but now I'm an hour outside of London considering where I'll settle down or if I will at all. May just get an RV (as they call them in the US) and travel around as work can be done from anywhere for me, as long as I have internet connection. Itching to get to some games!
I think I know where that food went you slipped into your jacket pocket!!:shh:

After working down south in UK for several years I came out to Baku at 26 in 2002. My third stint here and on 11 years straight on my third stint. Very much like home with a good RSC.
Did have stints in Russia far, far east, Indonesia, Korea and Angola however with local wife and 4 kids settled here however do see a return in next couple of years given downturn in the industry.

Have a home in Scotland and season ticket that my aunt uses however will need a well paid job to pick up another 5 season tickets for the family if we do settle back home....ouch. Telling the wife I still want to work away even on a single status may mean that house would be on the market ))

How hard is it just to pack up and move to the USA these days without a job offer? Never really hear of people doing it anymore

I have been living in Spain for five years, playing golf, walking football, padle tennis it is a great lifestyle the only thing is that there's no other bears in my village. Plenty of expats who support English teams they all comment on how well the Famous Glasgow Rangers are doing but I really miss talking to other bears , that's why first thing in the morning I am on FF
WATP
Thank God for the internet mate.

Yep. But back in 99/00 it was at the Coogee RSL.
I only went a handful of times to the Aurora when I lived there, when I arrived the RSC was going through a bit of infighting / turmoil between an old guard and some newer members and I didn't find it particularly welcoming. I mainly just used to watch at home - only times I would watch a game there was if I was out in the city at night close to KO.

What part of Spain is that,the time difference must be horrendous if you logg on here first thing in the morning as the time shows 15.08 our time ffs!!B-D

What part of Spain is that,the time difference must be horrendous if you logg on here first thing in the morning as the time shows 15.08 our time ffs!!B-D
If you read my message I said I am on FF didn't say I posted :shh:

Been in NZ 7 years now , had my citizen ceremony on Monday Past . One of the best decisions ive ever made . Live about 3 min walk from this photo .

Life is much more relaxed , much less of a rat race .
38-327123.jpg
Looks a lovely spot.
NZ is on my bucket list and i will get there one of these days!

Lived in Austin since 2000. Only meant to be for 2 years but still here with the family. Last game before leaving was the Orange Day Cup Final. Been home every year to see the Bears, including Manchester.

Not sure my story's interesting, but I moved from Sunny Saltcoats to the US in 2004.

I worked in nuclear plants across the country, spending months at a time in Virginia, North and South Carolina, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Wisconsin, Arizona, California, New Jersey, New York, Tennessee, Alabama...

Also lived permanently in:

Toms River, New Jersey 2004 - 2006
Charleston, West Virginia 2006 - 2009
Laguna Niguel, California 2009 - 2011
Charleston, West Virginia 2011 - 2014
St Augustine, Florida 2014 - 2016
Baldwinsville, New York 2016 - present (Eventually took a full time job at a nuclear plant)

Probably looking to move to either Nashville, TN or Asheville, NC in the next two years, but that depends on a few things lining up..

Only thing I miss is Ibrox and being around other Bears, but I never miss a minute of any Rangers game, therefore I don't think I'd change a thing. My wife is American and SHE's the one who wants to move back to Scotland, not me!

The main reason I’ve never moved abroad was not being able to go to Ibrox.
A bit older now, and I’d like to think a bit wiser.
Done a wee stint in Dubai, would have loved to have stayed out there.

I only went a handful of times to the Aurora when I lived there, when I arrived the RSC was going through a bit of infighting / turmoil between an old guard and some newer members and I didn't find it particularly welcoming. I mainly just used to watch at home - only times I would watch a game there was if I was out in the city at night close to KO.
I remember that period. The problem in Sydney is that most kick off times are after midnight. At least in Perth they’re usually at about 9 or 10pm, which is partly why that RSC is much stronger.

I live an hour out of the city too, so I now mostly watch from home too.

Back