Bernardo Silva coming under fire

If all the professionally offended think they're doing a favour for race relations,then they're not.
Just pissing people off,who wouldn't have given it much thought,but who are now white and privileged.

If all the professionally offended think they're doing a favour for race relations,then they're not.
Just pissing people off,who wouldn't have given it much thought,but who are now white and privileged.
Correct and this is my biggest issue with this type of thing and also with sectarianism and sexism.
There is genuine and vile racism, sectarianism and sexism happening in the world, in the country just now an nonsense like this simply trivialises it.

I’m making no comment on the right or wrong of what he’s done, although the debate is a hoot to read.

The guy is a major public figure and is probably a role model for thousands of kids. He should at least think twice before posting anything unless he is really trying to make a racist statement. That’s just the nature of social media these days.

More than that, he should think twice about posting those things privately too. Just ask Malky McKay and Hugh Dallas.

There is no hiding place these days. Even the things you post here on FF, apparently anonymously, really can get you into trouble!

There's plenty of hunks trying to be offended for him

And plenty of banjos dying to be offended by those they perceive are getting offended for him.

Here’s the thing, there’s a black guy on my team at work, an Arsenal fan. We were talking about this yesterday. I asked him what he thought about it and his response was that comparing the picture of Mendy as a kid to the Conguito man (he didn’t know what it was but I lived in Spain for a couple of years so filled him in) was quite offensive.

I said Mendy apparently didn’t take offence to it. His reaction, “Well, if it was aimed at me, I would.”

So the question is, is he wrong?

Is his response invalid?

Is he just looking to be offended, a snow flake, a mope, a middle class lefty?

Or is it actually a bit racist and that’s why people are commenting?

And plenty of banjos dying to be offended by those they perceive are getting offended for him.

Here’s the thing, there’s a black guy on my team at work, an Arsenal fan. We were talking about this yesterday. I asked him what he thought about it and his response was that comparing the picture of Mendy as a kid to the Conguito man (he didn’t know what it was but I lived in Spain for a couple of years so filled him in) was quite offensive.

I said Mendy apparently didn’t take offence to it. His reaction, “Well, if it was aimed at me, I would.”

Is his response invalid?

Yes he's wrong, because it wasn't aimed at him.

Not only that, if that's the rule book we need to abide by then basically anyone can say they are offended by something and therefore they must be right? After all, they are offended.

GtGXNbH.jpg

Is his response invalid?

It wasn't aimed at him though, ot was to his mate who wasn't 0ffended

Yes he's wrong, because it wasn't aimed at him.

Not only that, if that's the rule book we need to abide by then basically anyone can say they are offended by something and therefore they must be right? After all, they are offended.

GtGXNbH.jpg

I’ll be sure to tell him he’s wrong to find it offensive then.

I’ll be sure to tell him he’s wrong to find it offensive then.

It's not up to him to find it offensive though. It was posted between mates and the mate who was the subject of the joke doesn't find it offensive. Why is that so hard to grasp?

You or your pal don't get to decide that it's racist on his behalf, whether your mate is black or not is irrelevant.

People getting offended on behalf of others is stupid.

I mean, I get that since he put it on twitter the 'it was a joke between friends' argument is a bit dumb but it's clear that it was aimed at Mendy who has no problems with it.

Offended by that ??? FFS get a life !
Another sad indictment of today's fkd up snow flake generation !
If it was a picture of a white player with a white cartoon character would there be the same media outcry ?? Would there fk !
Worlds gone mad !

Last edited:
Because society has brainwashed them that this is not allowed and is unacceptable, therefore they must speak up about it.

Never mind the guy who the 'joke' was in reference to, he doesn't give a shit...

Or maybe they feel they have to speak up for him, as he is an oppressed minority (who just happens to be a famous footballer who is rolling in money, and could voice his opinion to a wide public audience about it any time he felt like doing so....IF he felt like doing so).
Clearly he cant do anything like that because he doesnt have the white privelige that all of us have.

Its when a person cant think of a reason for their argument sothey refer to mythical shit.

White privilege isn’t something that was made up on Twitter by Owen Jones and a bunch of Me Too wankers a few years ago to piss off whitebread conservatives like you, it has its origins in the early black rights movement of the 1930s.

The original fatuous guff I replied to, something along the lines of, “Aye, but if a black guy posts a picture of a white guy alongside the Milky Bar Kid, that’s alright then?” is the very definition of what people refer to as white privilege because, as anyone with half a brain knows, a majority cannot be oppressed by a minority.

So no, it’s not mythical shit, but then that’s probably what I should have expected from someone branding it as such to dismiss something they don’t actually understand.

White privilege isn’t something that was made up on Twitter by Owen Jones and a bunch of Me Too wankers a few years ago to piss off whitebread conservatives like you, it has its origins in the early black rights movement of the 1930s.

The original fatuous guff I replied to, something along the lines of, “Aye, but if a black guy posts a picture of a white guy alongside the Milky Bar Kid, that’s alright then?” is the very definition of what people refer to as white privilege because, as anyone with half a brain knows, a majority cannot be oppressed by a minority.

So no, it’s not mythical shit, but then that’s probably what I should have expected from someone branding it as such to dismiss something they don’t actually understand.

You are beyond embarrassing.

Interesting seeing what John Barnes (a black man) had to say on the matter.

You are beyond embarrassing.

Interesting seeing what John Barnes (a black man) had to say on the matter.

So Barnes doesn’t find it offensive, fair enough; the black guy in my work did, but hey, he’s wrong according to you.

Look, in the grander scheme of things it’s obviously a joke between two friends. Mendy isn’t bothered and that’s fine, let it go. But the question was: is it racist?

My take on that was yeah, it’s probably quite racist to compare a photo of a black guy to a racial caricature of a little African.

Some agree with that, some don’t, but what is hilarious is the zeal with which many on here wade in to attack anyone they perceive as liberal or leftish with the turgidly boring snow flake slur when the original definition of the term was someone easily offended and unable to handle opposing opinions, which seems to apply to you just as I’m sure you believe it does me sweetcheeks, so you know, maybe time to knock this one on the head.

I haven’t read full thread, but just noticed others had mentioned Barnes after i’d typed all of this post out!

IMO, he really does talk complete sense anytime I hear him discussing any incident linked to racism. For a man that would have experienced horrific racial abuse during his career, imo he hits nail on head almost every time he’s asked a question on the subject when it I’m sure it would be easy to go along with type of usual narrative you get from more modern players.

Also many other examples of him talking sense, not just on Bernardo Silva. One example below.

Back