Bill Shankly

yosemite sam

Just reading up on his history.
I knew he was born and lived in Glenbuck,small Ayrshire village as I live in Ayrshire,and he's been forever linked to the local team,Glenbuck Cherrypickers.
I didn't realise,he NEVER played for them,his brothers did.
He actually played for a nearby village Cronberry Eglinton.

The Cherrypickers.

1.jpg

Turn off the A70 and you drive up a hill,there is a plaque by the roadside.
Further on up in the hills there is a Marble tribute to Bill Shankly and a small memorial garden.
There is a tribute to the miners from the area too.
Surreal that there was a mining village there and now it is gone.
It is very isolated,well off the beaten track.

My good friend Simon did a documentary on Shankley that is on prime video

Bill and his four brothers all became professional footballers. He boasted that they could have beaten any other brothers in the world at five-a-sides!

His autobiography is my favourite football book - I re-read it regularly.

Bill and his four brothers all became professional footballers. He boasted that they could have beaten any other brothers in the world at five-a-sides!

His autobiography is my favourite football book - I re-read it regularly.

He was speaking to our own Jimmy Millar outside Hampden, before Scotland played Brazil in June 1966, and he told him; 'You play for the greatest club in the world.'

Bill Shankly wanted to manage Rangers ,this is from a word of a old geezer I used to work with at Compaq computers ,said Rangers were a sleeping giant ready to wake.Ihave no reason to dismiss this as old geezer was on Liverpool books sadly never made it.Wonder if any others knew that.

When we lost Berwick, Liverpool had a poor result that day as well. The players were in the dressing room, waiting on Shankly. He came in the dressing room. He said
"Berwick Rangers 1, the Rangers 0 and walked back out the dressing room.
That's how much of a shock it was, and still is to this day.

I had his book & he said when he was younger he would try & save up so he could go & watch the Rangers play.
I had the book offshore & Tommy Smith came out to do Q&A I got him to sign it but he told a Shankly story about the Liverpool goalkeeper at that time Tommy Younger ( I think) he had let a last minute goal in through his legs that cost Liverpool the points.
" Sorry boss I should have shut my legs"
Tommy says
' Naw son yir Ma should have shut her legs "
Was Shankly's reply.

“If Everton were playing in my back garde, I’d close the curtains”.
And after Liverpool had "banned" him from the training ground and he hardly went to Anfield but he was welcomed by all at Goodison and he went to lots of games at Goodison

It is a nice spot to visit,if a bit isolated.
There was actually a minibus load of Liverpool fans there the day we were there.

Bill Shankly was my grandfather’s first cousin. They were both raised by their grandmother as their parents had to work long and hard hours to put food on the table.

I was down laying flowers at another old relatives graveside in Muirkirk last October and made a point of stopping to visit and see the memorial.

Lots of interesting stuff about the village more generally, especially if you have a connection to the place.

And after Liverpool had "banned" him from the training ground and he hardly went to Anfield but he was welcomed by all at Goodison and he went to lots of games at Goodison

Correct.

But I believe Liverpool were also correct in asking/telling him to keep away from the training ground as it appeared his presence was undermining Bob Paisley.

It's like Struth welcomed Maley to Ibrox, when he left the yahoos amid a tax stushie and had basically shunned, and had been shunned in return, by his own club.

I adore Struth and that's because of all the stories my old man told me about him growing up.

But that one I still struggle with to this day.

Now I get that in some ways back then there might have been different standards in some circumstances: a gentler age in diplomatic relations between us and them.

But to me, after Maley's outburst at the John Thomson/Sam English inquest, all bets should have been off.

Bill Shankly was my grandfather’s first cousin. They were both raised by their grandmother as their parents had to work long and hard hours to put food on the table.

I was down laying flowers at another old relatives graveside in Muirkirk last October and made a point of stopping to visit and see the memorial.

Lots of interesting stuff about the village more generally, especially if you have a connection to the place.

My aunt, who was a devout Christian, was friends with one of his nephews and wife, through their Church. So I met him a couple of times growing up when they would come visit my aunt and my granny and granda.

It makes me wonder if that nephew I met was directly related to your grandfather?

My aunt, who was a devout Christian, was friends with one of his nephews and wife, through their Church. So I met him a couple of times growing up when they would come visit my aunt and my granny and granda.

It makes me wonder if that nephew I met was directly related to your grandfather?

Possibly mate but Bill had 9 brothers and sisters and his nephew would have been the son of any one of them. They were my Papa’s cousins so I’d be struggling to put names to most of them.

My late mother knew most of them by name though, as women are much better at that kind of thing.

Possibly mate but Bill had 9 brothers and sisters and his nephew would have been the son of any one of them. They were my Papa’s cousins so I’d be struggling to put names to most of them.

My late mother knew most of them by name though, as women are much better at that kind of thing.

I didn't know there were so many siblings.

It's just the coincidence, but I know what you mean. My granda was the youngest of 14. in all that time, I've only met one of my da's cousins and a grandson of one of my granda's brothers, who is ages with me.

All those kids. Nowt much on the telly back then. B-)

I'm sure there was a documentary on BBC4 a few years back, i'm going to have a look to find it.

It was superb.

I agree 100%

By all the accounts I have read, Shankly, who resigned after the 73/74 season, signing off with a second FA Cup, was regretting the decision and couldn't keep away the following season.

He would turn up at training sessions and the players would still be referring to him as 'boss'. No incoming manager or club can allow that.

And that chap Paisley, didn't too badly when he took over the reigns, did he?

John McGovern, the Forrest captain tells a good story of him doing an after match talk to them at Goodson the year they won the league.
One of his points being Cloughie sat there totally enthralled throughout the whole time.
Not many people could keep Clough quiet.

Shanklys uncle
Then Dundee. Both won their league titles in the same season, 1961/62. Bob with Dundee, after an unfathomable Rangers collapse and Bill with Liverpool in the English 2nd division.
Then Dundee went on a wonderful run to the European Cup semi final the following season losing to eventual winners AC Milan. Alf Ramsay's English Champions Ipswich Town had been knocked out earlier in the competition and as a result Dundee received widespread coverage across the UK. Milan beat Benfica in the Wembley final played on a mid-week afternoon which resulted in a low attendance. The following season we drew 1-1 at Dens Park in the Scottish Cup and beat Dundee 3-2 in the Ibrox replay before a massive crowd of over 81,000.

My neighbour as a kid was Bill Shanklys nephew, his brother Jock’s son. His kids were older than me but both were like their father and grandfather red hot Rangers fans and I was always my assumption that Bill was too

I had a biography of Bill Shankly years ago and I always loved this picture from it. Apparently after he had retired he used to go out to play football with the kids in the street.

66041ffb87304027a5b1252171c5b132.png

His wife said the kids used to come to the door asking if he was coming out for a game and she'd tell them he was allowed out after he'd finished cleaning the oven.

Changed days.

Latest posts

Back