Brandon Barker over Stewart

It's called trying to stretch the game with a proper winger v 10 men. Not rocket science mate. Rage away though.

Absolute madness.

Barker I have yet to see him use any pace hes supposed to have control is woeful and can't beat a man.

Heart sunk when he came on

Bit of guile something different with Stewart not to mention the 2 goals against Hearts. Must be wondering what he needs to do.

Absolutely useless

yeah agree with this, no idea why Stewart wasn’t put on

Baffling decision.
Against a team defending deep we needed a bit of guile to unlock , Stewart was the obvious choice.
Not sure what Gerrard’s thinking was

Why do we want pace when they are down to 10 and sitting deep.

Stewart, Stewart and Stewart again.

He's literally the only player that's been capable of creating something amongst a packed defence thi season.

Absolute madness.

Barker I have yet to see him use any pace hes supposed to have control is woeful and can't beat a man.

Bit of guile something different with Stewart not to mention the 2 goals against Hearts. Must be wondering what he needs to do.

Absolutely useless

But you will get the staunch daftys saying Barker is a player

I thought the days when players of Barkers quality getting a game for us were long gone, he’s nowhere near good enough.

Barker had an impact when coming on and it's incredibly harsh to use him as the scapegoat today

What impact? Other than to take up space.

He got on the ball a few times in good positions and either miscontrolled or was brushed aside like a child. He was hopeless and didn’t bring anything positive.

Absolute madness.

Absolutely useless
An absolute nonsense substitution by Gerrard

Imo bringing Barker on evened out the red card.

I hate saying that but he just isn't good enough especially for a game like today

Criminal.

Not one bear in the stadium saw any possibility of good comning from that. Feel sorry for the boy.

Gerrard is really struggling with this aspect of the game. Bandly. Very very badly.

His subs are always wrong. The selections that aren't are too late and so still wrong.

It's amateur hour really.
He also had loads of time to change or formation to take advatage of their ten men, but we didn't.

Absolute madness.

Absolutely useless
I am just not seeing it with him.
Not a great ojo fan but has shown more than Barker.
But I would have had Greg Stewart on before either.

Stewart seems to have a lot of composure on the ball and that's what we were crying out for, especially in their box.

Barker at one point knocked it past a Celtc player and went to run round him, but didn't seem to have the pace to get past him which surprised me as i can't see what he's actually got.

Barker has been very poor in his fleeting appearances and certainly never looked like doing anything of note today.

Absolute madness.

Absolutely useless

It is totally baffling eh?

My heart sank when I saw him coming on (though in reality I had a gut feeling things werent going our way after Alfie missed the penalty) I kinda knew he wouldnt offer us anything in a game like that.

Not his fault we lost all the same

The managers biggest fault for me is his use of subs

Always seems to leave it to late and never seem to have an impact when we are chasing a game.

I don't understand Gerrards reluctance to use Stewart. Anyone shed any light? He's no world beater but I'd guarantee he's more of a threat than Barker.

I just don't see it with Barker at all. My one memory of him at hibs was that he was absolutely rapid,and to be honest I haven't even seen that with us really.

Barker hasn't shown enough to suggest he should have come on. One of the critical things I have about Gerrard is his use of subs. He very rarely gets it right sadly.

I could have sworn in the glimpses of him against us for Hibs that he was a pacey, tricky winger who did actually trouble us a few times.

The version we have seems to need a 2nd touch to control his 1st and appears to be on the verge of falling over all the time

Both big substitution decisions were a disaster to be honest. Defoe really wasn’t the right change either, we had even less control on the game. But bringing Barker on was a hopeless change that made us even worse.

Gerrard will have to take the heat for that because it just made life easier for them. He was so weak and so predictable I’d have fancied my chances up against him.
Every single time we’ve brought Defoe on with Morelos its killed the game.

Every. Single. Time

barker over stewart was bizarre but i expect strange subs from our manager, strange subs that rarely benefit us.

There’s not a manager out there that doesn’t make bad signings & unfortunately Barker looks like one of Gerrard’s. He hasn’t shown anything at all for us & here we are almost at the winter break.

A 3 year deal looked generous at the time, but now looks like madness.

Greg Stewart has more than earned some more match time , his contributions from the bench against Hearts prove as much

Last edited:
I didn't like Defoe coming on for a midfielder, because I think if your man up the it's important to be much stronger in midfield; I'd rather maintain that strength by keeping the same number in the middle. Two seasons ago, at Ibrox, they had someone sent off and I'm sure Murty took a midfielder off and they, ironically, looked stronger than us. If Defoe was to come on then I'd rather it had been either Arfield or Kent off.

Back