Brandon Barker over Stewart

Stewart may have been the better option. He causes problems in and around the box as opposed to putting a player on trying to get through a 10 man defence. But it is what it is. Did not work out.
Doesn't help with cheating officials either and strikers not scoring the chances they get.
Overall, we did our best yesterday and didn't go down without a fight. It hurts to lose the way we did, Just got to remain hopeful for the rest of the season.

It doesn't really work when a team is sitting in as they were. There really wasn't the space to get in behind them. In that situation you need a clever ball player to unlock the defense.

it did open up the flanks
ufortunately, especially on our left, we couldn't get a decent ball in
Barasic's deliveries in the late part of the game were shocking

We effectively made it 10 v 10 with bringing him on. Id rather see Stewart or Ojo.

I want Stewart to get a run of games. I want Jones fit and playing. Barker doesnt have what it takes to play for us.

When Jack was down injured in the first-half and it looked certain he'd have to come off, the group I was watching with were all in agreement that Stewart should come on for him, with Arfield dropping back into the midfield, but wondered if he'd maybe bring on Ojo instead. Not one of us could believe it when the footage cut to the bench to show Barker getting ready to come on. I honestly can't imagine one single bear anywhere in the world not uttering 'Barker!?!?' at that moment.

It was clear from that moment that Barker would eventually get the nod when we did go to make a sub, but it was no less baffling when it happened. Stewart is a good finisher, can cross a ball and has the ability to open a packed defence with a clever pass, as well being comfortable getting stuck in a bit. You'd also think he'd be playing with a bit of confidence, having scored a couple of goals from the bench recently - Barker seems to have the ability to run quite fast, but with nothing else in his locker and looks to be playing with zero confidence.
I could maybe see an argument for Barker if we were under constant pressure and thought his pace might be useful on the counter (although Ojo would have been preferable in that circumstance), but when playing against 10-men that were defending a 1 goal lead for the last 30 minutes of a cup final, it is just mind-boggling that Stewart wasn't seen as the obvious choice. I can't think of a more baffling substitution off the top of my head.

Back