Official Calvin Bassey to Ajax - Official

Bassey had a fantastic final 6 months. And we’ve got an unbelievable fee in return.

Absolutely the correct decision to sell, based on his form over the last six months and his contract situation. (ie if we never sold him now, we’d prob have been looking at £10m - £12m next summer assuming he maintained form)

Now we need to go and replace him.

From their website

Ajax has reached an agreement with Rangers FC and Calvin Bassey for the transfer of the defender to Amsterdam. The English-Nigerian player has signed a contract with Ajax that will take effect immediately and will run for five seasons, until June 30, 2027. Ajax will pay a transfer fee of EUR 23 million to Rangers FC. Including variables, that amount could increase to EUR 26.5 million.
No mention of the 10% sell on.

Hopefully that is still part of the deal as the other figures are €0.5m out from the fan media briefings

On the player himself, wish him nothing but the best and hopefully he goes on to be a proper world class player. He has all the attributes anyway

That boy is an absolute superstar, I mean just look at him he’s a sponsors dream! He owes a debt of gratitude to Rangers for the way they’ve helped him develop his game, and whilst there’s almost no bigger club in the world than the one he’s left this is a great move for all parties.

He is going to end up one of the world’s best in his position imo, he’s well on the way.

Gonna miss the big yin, he was a class act especially in attitude. A few could learn from him how to pick yourself up, dust yourself off and show enough grit and determination to rise to be bigger and better.

Thank you for your service CB and I will be watching and hoping your career goes from strength to strength.

Best of luck calvin, its been a pleasure watching you grow as a player & I will watch your career go from strength to strength.

All the best Calvin. Showed attitude which was never less than exemplary, and has made the club a huge fee. He can go as far as he wants.

In General i don’t really keep a track of players who move on from us but the big fella definitely will. Hope the lad goes to the very top.

His performances in Europe in the latter stages are some of the best I’ve seen a rangers defender have in Europe. No doubts he will be leaving Ajax in a year or 2 for a fee over £50 million.

Going to miss big Shirley, grew to love the big man! The improvement he's made in such a short time is really unbelievable. From nearly being booted out the club during Covid to those performances in our Europa league run, he will always be welcome back and I really do hope he goes on to play at the very highest levels of football.

20 million for a cracking 6 months is a great bit of business. He would have kicked on and been a standout this year but we can’t knock back 20 million plus for him.

Gutted to see him leave though the deal was a good one for us and helps us to strengthen the team (as well as avoiding yet another imminent liquidation!).
Very best wishes to Calvin for the future.

He will be much missed especially for his versatility.
Have never seen a player improve as much in a short space of time.
Will be a huge asset to Ajax and will be sadly especially for our Champions League campaign.
All the best Calvin.You will be one of the best players in Europe shortly..

Absolute gutted, Was hoping for another season but we couldn't refuse that kind of money.
Wish him all the best at Ajax and will be watching how he gets on, Will need to change my username now :rolleyes:.

All the best to big Bassey.
I reckon there must be at least another 10 Calvins languishing out of first team squads in the EPL.
We would definitely be an attractive proposition to young talent with potential who would go for cross-border fees.
Hopefully, the next Calvin Bassey is just around the corner.
Whoever scouted him for us at Leicester needs to take a bow and it is doubly pleasing Saint Brenda gave us such a wonderful gift.

Hard to remember such universal love and praise for a guy that's leaving us on the upswing of his career.. but he absolutely deserves it.

An absolute credit to himself and his family.. has conducted himself admirably throughout and never once angled for a move away.

Hope he remains a part of the Rangers family and we see him back one day.

All the best big man. WATP.

crying-sobbing.gif

It's a Great result for us as a club but I don't believe for 1 second he will have the same experiences and emotions and love he has had from our fans. No chance. But he is away now and the club has benefited. He won't reach his potential until someone from England comes for him. That's obviously my opinion.

The physique of a Greek god, the speed of a runaway train, the skill of a Venetian artisan and the touch of an angel...never stop, never change. Shoulders back and smash it!

A great move and best wishes young man. A legend in the making.
Quality post.
Gutted the big man is away but it's what the club player trading model is all about.
Wish nothing but success for Calvin. .

Big Calvin had a purple period of about 3 months for us towards the end of last season. He was phenomenal but before that many myself included thought he might just be a big boy running aboot. So 20 mill is for me great business.
I believe Aribo will prove to be a bigger miss and will go on to have the more successful career

All the time in the world for Bassey, probably in my top 10 favourite Rangers players in the last thirty years. What a breath of fresh air he was, hope he goes on to dominate. Forever Blue.

Now that it's official and feels real I'm absolutely gutted. Knew we had to take the money on offer, but it's a sore one losing such a fan favourite. Feels like when Barry Ferguson left first time round. Going to miss the big guy!

All the best to him, he's going to absolutely smash it over there and I'm sure we will all be following his career going forward. A wonderful talent and clearly a great guy as well.

Sorry to see him go, but he put in a shift for us and as last season developed he became as exciting a prospect as we've seen at Ibrox in a long time. Also a brilliant example to young players.

Even during the 55 season when he didn't play much, I felt like you could see he was a good squad player, the way first-team players interacted with him he looked like he was well-liked and a good presence, especially with other youngsters like Patterson being around him.

Came into his own last season, it took a while for some of the cynics among us to notice but really as early as the pre-season friendlies it was clear he had kicked on in terms of energy and strength and he never looked back. His contribution to a historic season won't be forgotten soon.

Will be captaining an English club within 4-5 years I reckon. Best of luck to the big man and looking forward to seeing how he gets on at Ajax.

Good luck to the big man.. cracking player but what a bit of business for us really. Top fee in for a player bought for peanuts.

I hope to live long enough to see Calvin Bassey return one day .
Good luck and all the best to him in the meantime..

Back