Official Calvin Bassey to Ajax - Official

Proof that Bassey isnt actually human as we see here he is plugged right into the mains!

FYHF9jbWQAAOfXa

Well done to the big man and well done to Rangers. He really came on in the last two months he was with us so there will be lot of pressure on him to keep that up and perform well.
He has gone to a good club but I presume only for cash as they may not do any better than us over the next seasons in Europe.

This is they type of business we need to keep doing and hopefully we can now see Lowry coming through and in a couple of years we get another good deal.

All best wishes Calvin.

I did the Ajax stadium tour today and they posted this pic within the stadium to announce him, not sure where it was taken though..

Last edited:
What a player Ajax have. Im going to have to get over to a game sometime to see him. If he can further refine his technique, and lets be honest, there are few better clubs and countries in the world for that, he will be one of the best LBs on the planet some day. Good luck Calvin. Smash it over there!

All the best to Calvin and good luck to him in the future.
Ajax is a great move. A proper football club with an incredible history where he will no doubt add to his trophy haul.

Full credit to the club for getting the deal. Gaffer also deserves a big word. Nobody would have seen a move like this coming even just 6 months back. Calvin has come on leaps and bounds under Gio.

Loved the guy and sad to see him go. But the reality is we have to try and sell our players at their peak value. Hopefully get a decent replacement in who can challenge Borna/act as a good backup. That has to be the model.

Wish the big chap nothing but good luck…I’ll be keeping a closer eye on Ajax and Southampton now.

His celebration against Leipzig will always put a huge smile on my face.

Sad to see him go , all the best to him

But from the clubs point of view it’s fantastic buisness , bank a load of cash and spend plenty on two replacements Davies being one yilmaz hopefully the other with still about 10 million or so banked from the Bassey deal

I'm disappointed to lose a player of his quality but it's as great deal for all involved when you factor in the money we've brought in, the chance for him to develop at one of the best clubs in the world for young players and, hopefully, this means that the next time someone wants one of our best players, we can set the going rate at £20 million minimum.

Big Calvin had a purple period of about 3 months for us towards the end of last season. He was phenomenal but before that many myself included thought he might just be a big boy running aboot. So 20 mill is for me great business.
I believe Aribo will prove to be a bigger miss and will go on to have the more successful career
If he had went to a bottom or mid table team in epl then I would tend to agree going to ajax opens up different routes and development for him

This move has potential for him to go to barca, real, bayern, etc longer term as a player he will develop quicker at ajax than epl

He reminds me very much of Alan Hutton actually whereby it was really only an incredible six month purple patch that led to a record breaking transfer, however, I fully expect Bassey to go on to better things than Hutton did.

I’m genuinely sad to see him go. I had hoped we’d give him a bumper extension and keep him for another year at least.

Don't think he will be at Ajax long before he goes to a bigger team in a better league. Going to book mark this post because I'm an annoying told you so c##t but I believe he will go on to break the transfer record for a defender.

Hopefully the Tims get Ajax in champs league group stage.

Mixed emotions on this one.

Sad that we couldn't have seen Calvin have one final season at Rangers and leave as a League Winning Champion.

Obviously losing a player of Calvin's ability is never good to see but with how fickle football can be the club just could not refuse this offer.

On the plus side im actually happy that Calvin has ended up at Ajax. A club where he can go and develop even further as a player and it will only benefit both player and Rangers again down the line.

I have no doubts this kid will end up at one of Europe's superpowers in the next 2 years for an enormous transfer fee.

Goodbye and good luck Calvin Bassey.

Thanks for the memories kid.

NOW... Its over to the board to allow some of that money to be put back into the team and allow Gio to really strengthen the first 11. We need to go into these qualifiers fully equipped with the best chance possible of group stage participation and all the further riches that will bring.

Got me emotional

The big man is a lovely lad. Product of his mother who is a lovely woman. I am sad to see him go, but he deserves absolutely everything. A generous, lovely lad. Terrible time keeper mind. :pWish him the absolute best.

The big man is a lovely lad. Product of his mother who is a lovely woman. I am sad to see him go, but he deserves absolutely everything. A generous, lovely lad. Terrible time keeper mind. :pWish him the absolute best.
ITK pumping of his maw?

Anyone else admit, like me, after the St. Mirror LC game when we lost and he gave away a penalty, that he wasn't up to much.

As usual, I know nothing
A young player finding his feet at the club who was given a start in a cup game which was the usual Scottish fitbaw scrap away from home. Gerrard held his hands up after that one as he should of went for more experience in that game. Bassey recovered and Gerrard learned lessons in management.

I will always have the memory of his dancing across the dressing room to the sunset bros with a bottle of champagne. Good luck big man.

Best of luck Big Calvin some memorable performances for us, his display in the Europa Cup final will live in the memory for ever.

Amazing bit of business. What's that between Joe, Calvin and young Nathan? Over 40 million for very little outlay. We're fucking back in the big time!

Everything about this deal is perfect apart from the fact that Bassey has left.

Looking forward to seeing how far he can go in the game and so glad we had him at Rangers for a while.

Back