Calvin Bassey

Isje 931

has this guy evolved into one of our serious assets?

His transformation over the last 6 months has been incredible. Not many players in world football can play CB relatively well then be so influential at LB( LWB). His physique and pace means he would be effective in nearly every league, Infact I’d say he’s not as suited to CB in our league as his aerial ability isn’t fantastic.

He’s got lucky with injuries elsewhere but with his determination and work ethic he deserves every inch of praise.

Get him tied down Rangers

Should be an inspiration to anyone that sits on the bench. Wait your time and when your opportunity comes take it with both hands. The lad seems to have a fantastic attitude, I thought his interview before the Dundee. Utd game was superb, when asked if he saw himself as a CH or LB he answered I see myself as a player and will give my all wherever asked to play.

Hes confident with the ball at his feet and has the physicality to match. This is his first season playing infront of big crowds as well so that shows his mentality. The flick of the foot to take the ball away from the RB on Thursday in the build up to the goal was excellent to give that yard to power away and use his pace to hit the byline. Really developing into a top asset

I don’t think Bassey got the credit due for his performances at CB when Gio first came in. He was ever present and was part of the team that conceded just 4 in the first 12 games. He bore the brunt of frustration when it went to shit after the winter break, but he has done superbly well covering for Balogun and Helander.

Big credit to Goldson for his part in guiding him as well.

He is an absolute powerhouse at full back though. His determination to get past the two Dortmund players to cross for Tav’s second was superb.

Powerful has pace his defensive side of the game is improved dramatically over the last 6 months he is an attacking threat and now first choice LWB

He had a stinker at livi and then seemed to disappear for months and months. Still a young guy, he’s going to make the odd mistake but he’s been a standout since he’s come back into the team

Hes confident with the ball at his feet and has the physicality to match. This is his first season playing infront of big crowds as well so that shows his mentality. The flick of the foot to take the ball away from the RB on Thursday in the build up to the goal was excellent to give that yard to power away and use his pace to hit the byline. Really developing into a top asset
Agree. He never hides and is very respectful to the support too. Wish him all the best and to keep improving.

Think that's the nail in Bornas coffin he will be moved on as part of the summer rebuild

I've been impressed with Bassey's attitude since he came in the door. The big man is still rough around the edges and has played relatively little first team football, but he has everything you'd want from a defender in the modern game. Looking forward to see how he continues to improve in a Royal Blue shirt.

His Assist for Tav just epitomises him.

He trys to go past Wolf and it takes a bounce in opposite direction. He holds him off and completely changes his body weight and turns.

Then a Dortmund player comes and doubles up on him and he goes past Wolf and while on the touchline he is completely off balance and Wolf shoves him to the point he is basically off the pitch and about to fall over.

He stays up and breezes past him and whips a cross in for Tav to volley home.

Sensational strength, skill and desire which helped clinch the tie.

not convincing at centre back but definitely getting there, same when he plays full back. has the odd brain freeze too getting himself caught out positionally.

He's been great and his attitude is spot on, you can see how much he wants to play for us and he's grabbed his chance. We're a harsh support but that always gets leeway from us.

Quite interesting seeing people claim a place under Gio after years of Gerrard's favourites. Also potentially very good for us, imagine the idea of losing Barisic and Kamara just a few months ago. Now we are in a position where we could sell them for decent money without missing them too much.

I dont even mean that as a slight against Kamara or Borna, they've both been important for us. Could well allow us to keep say morelos for example though.

The boy's got everything you need to be a top flight footballer, a great physique, power, pace, skill in abundance and a fantastic attitude.
At only 22 years old he's definitely only going to improve and will be a huge player for us hopefully for many years to come!

Hes an absolute unit, with the added bonus of having skill and pace.

Thursday was probably his crowning performance for us, the one that sees him kick on and become a main stay.

The key thing is him nailing down the left back position now and adding the technical side to his game.

His attitude is faultless so he won’t fail for a lack of desire.

He has superb attributes and against Dortmund he showed excellent feet to solve problems at the highest level.

It’s now a chalk eye for him to show he can make good decisions with time on the ball and cross accurately.

His transformation over the last 6 months has been incredible. Not many players in world football can play CB relatively well then be so influential at LB( LWB). His physique and pace means he would be effective in nearly every league, Infact I’d say he’s not as suited to CB in our league as his aerial ability isn’t fantastic.

He’s got lucky with injuries elsewhere but with his determination and work ethic he deserves every inch of praise.

An all round brilliant young man

To be honest he constantly surprises me with his ability to first of all defend solidly regardless of position he is playing. Personally LWB is his best position he has power pace very calm under pressure then he has the pace and skill to offer genuine wide play he is a very talented lad.

The big man vaulting the advertising boards after the BVB game to hand over his match shirt to the stunned young Bear was top class. The wee man will never forget that.
The wee man’s mither was expecting Shirley Bassey’s top when he got home and excitedly declared who’s top he got!!!

From his bomb scare display getting knocked out the cup to St Mirren to how he is performing now is night and day. He is a young man full of good energy wanting to do his best for himself and Rangers. Full credit to his professionalism he has the attributes to go far.

Calvin & Joe should be poster boys for every U21 player with clubs in England who are in the last year of their contract.

If anybody has the ability, belief and drive, but has been denied a path to their first team, there is always an option to increase your wages, play almost every game on live TV and increase your profile on European nights, by joining the famous Glasgow Rangers.

FBS

Big Shirley has so much talent, and added to his physical prowess I expect him to become a target for EPL clubs pretty soon. I'm thinking £20m already, and he will get better. Potentially our most valuable asset.

Reactions: Blt
Has incredible potential. He's such a great athlete and gives his all every game.

Might not be the most popular opinion on here but he reminds me of a more physical but slightly less technical version of Kieran Tierney.

I love big Bassey tbh. Whatever flaws he may have in his game he more than makes up for with his effort and attitude. He seems to get better every time he plays too.

I actually think his best position could be as a left centre half in a back 3/5, which Gio seems to be experimenting with. I’m not sure his quality in the final third is good enough, yet, to play as our left wing back in SPFL matches regularly though (if we played the 3-5-2/5-3-2) but it’s definitely improving.

He's a brilliant asset IMO

He's got limitations as a CB - but he's made up for most of them by his hard work, attitude & a great ability to learn in the job

To me he's much more suited to a full back role -
But his time at CB will have improved his overall understanding of a
full back position - it's duties, responsibilities & how he needs to fit into the team - so he'll be a better player as a result

I really want us to get him on a longer contract & have him for years to come
His value to us on the park & an eventual fee can only get higher IMO

Back