Chris Hegarty - article from 2012

Like most of the youngsters we had then, wasn’t very good so ended up dropping down to lower teams - think he’s back in NI.
That's one way of looking at it. After 2012 many of our young players of that time lost the influence that very good experienced players would have given them at Rangers. We lost a core of very good young players at that time; to write them off as 'not very good' is easier than the reality of what happened to them in what would have been, arguably, the most crucial stage of their development.

That's one way of looking at it. After 2012 many of our young players of that time lost the influence that very good experienced players would have given them at Rangers. We lost a core of very good young players at that time; to write them off as 'not very good' is easier than the reality of what happened to them in what would have been, arguably, the most crucial stage of their development.
Correct.

All part of the Rangers Story.

When you shall these unlucky deeds relate,
Speak of me as I am. Nothing extenuate,
Nor set down aught in malice. Then must you speak

Of one that loved not wisely, but too well.

Whatever way you spin it, or the reasons you suggest, it doesn’t detract from the fact they were still poor players. There were also still several experienced players at the club.

Even the alleged “very good young players” which I presume you mean McCabe, Ness & Wylde, went on to achieve nothing in the game before coming back to lower leagues in Scotland.

It’s just the same as it’s always been, very few young players will be good enough to play for Rangers - it’s no sleight on them, but it’s the truth.

Edit: I should add, I show immense gratitude to every player who wore our jersey during those turbulent years - was merely providing the poster with an answer to their question.

Whatever way you spin it, or the reasons you suggest, it doesn’t detract from the fact they were still poor players. There were also still several experienced players at the club.

Even the alleged “very good young players” which I presume you mean McCabe, Ness & Wylde, went on to achieve nothing in the game before coming back to lower leagues in Scotland.

It’s just the same as it’s always been, very few young players will be good enough to play for Rangers - it’s no sleight on them, but it’s the truth.
That easy?; take away someone like Davis and so on from those players and it's no big deal? The truth is, we'll never know, but for Walter Smith to have played them in the first place, at an early age and in some big games, is an indicator of their potential. You're the one saying with certainty they weren't very good; my objection to that is to say that is merely a definite maybe, or a maybe not. We will never know either way, an in that sense that is an significant element of the tradegy.

Back