Chris McClure - aka Christian - has passed away

Saw him once in the Bellrock Kinning Park years ago. I was mangled and quite enjoyed his gig. Bit like a kebab after a heavy nite I suppose.

Great performer. Always gave everything in every show he did. Seen him years ago at a Rangers rally.
Last time I seen him sing was in the Bellrock Kinning Park a couple of years ago. Sorry to hear of his passing.

Had a couple of enjoyable evenings in various clubs listening to Christian. Sad to hear the news, commiserations to his family.

Remember seeing Christian perform in the Big Rangers club many times, in fact I seen him perform his jukebox set last November in a hotel in Largs, the voice was still strong and his energy was great for a man of his age, dancing and running around the room, a great performance.
RIP Chris you will be missed.

Lived along the road from me although I was younger than him. Always kicking a ball and a decent player, my memory of him back then was him playing keepy uppy against the gable end of the tenement. My Granny always remarked when we passed him "that Chris is a nice lad".
Seen his act a few times at the Big and Wee Rangers Clubs back in the 70's. He was a good turn as they would say. The woman loved him.

Rest Easy my fellow Ibroxonian.

If I recall he lived on Stanmore Road in The Mount back in the 60/70,s about the same time as “The Crying Shame’s” Please Stay.
Or is it my dementia kicking in ?

Not been a good day for Christians in more ways than one.

Scottish singer and pantomime star Chris McClure, known by his stage name Christian, has died aged 80.
Born in Ibrox, Glasgow, the entertainer is said to have died peacefully on Monday at his home in Bishopbriggs.
His career spanned 60 years and included a tour with Billy Connolly, as well as a performance on Top of the Pops with the 1982 World Cup squad.
It comes just days after his final gig at Fauldhouse Miners Welfare Club in West Lothian on Saturday.
The Pavillion Theatre in Glasgow, where he performed for more than 50 years, paid tribute to a "true legend" of Scottish entertainment.
Jamie Gordon, theatre director, said: "Everybody is shocked and saddened to discover that Christian has passed away.
"More than the entertainer, he was a true gentleman. Rest easy Chris, you will be sorely missed, and our thoughts are with his family at this time."
Awe that's sad, danced to him and his band The Chris Mclure Section many a time in the late 60's early 70's, also saw him in a rock festival at Grangemouth Stadium about 1972 , Status Quo, Jeff Beck,Lindisfarne Everley Brothers among others on the bill... RIP

Great performer. Always gave everything in every show he did. Seen him years ago at a Rangers rally.
Last time I seen him sing was in the Bellrock Kinning Park a couple of years ago. Sorry to hear of his passing.
Yep, appeared at the Rally as well as the Edmiston Club.

Used to see him in the eighties and nineties outside Ibrox holding collection buckets for various charities. Seemed a good guy who was always giving his time to help others.

As I posted in the thread in the lounge Chris lived along the road from me in Ibrox. A few years older than me but I recall him playing with a ball up against the gable end of the tenement. Good player and a popular performer back in the Rangers Club(Big and Wee) day. Rangers man no doubt.

I was in an hotel in Blackpool 2years ago, and there were 2 singers on the nights' enterainment.
The guitar playing singer lost his voice after 3 songs . Christian took over. He sang and danced non stop from 9 o'clock to midnight, great performance for a man of his age.

Seriously thought this was going to be a post about the (mis-spelled) goth band Christian Death at first when I saw the title.

Guy was always on the telly in the 70s/80s in an old-school entertainer type of way. Seems to have been a well-loved guy, and great to hear he was a bluenose. Was still going strong to the end. Good on him.

H was a regular turn at the Cragburn Pavilion in Gourock in the late 60s. Chris McClure Section if my memory serves me. RIP Brother.

I knew Chris in my earlier life about 20 years ago. My ex worked with him regularly and I’ll never forget the bugger chipped the paint on my new car dragging speakers and an amplifier from my boot as we were running late and the crowd was getting impatient!!!

But he was a warm and lovely guy so it’s very sad hearing of his passing.

His signature tune at that time was ‘Play Me’ by Neil Diamond. He probably did on Saturday night just past as part or his final turn.

Rest easy Chris, one of the good guys.

I was in an hotel in Blackpool 2years ago, and there were 2 singers on the nights' enterainment.
The guitar playing singer lost his voice after 3 songs . Christian took over. He sang and danced non stop from 9 o'clock to midnight, great performance for a man of his age.
Used to see him with Mr abie and Andy Cameron in the members section L at Ibrox when I sat in there with my dad back in the 80s.Happy days.sad news he was a good old fashioned scottish style entertainer RIP

He certainly was. My Mother brought him up.
Whenever he was on TV in the 70's my dad would always say he was his cousin. I've no idea where the connection was but he was adamant.

I'll need to call him tomorrow to see if he's heard.

New Chris fairly well, booked him many times for our bowling club .was a fantastic entertainer and a real nice guy .also a member of lodge dramatic 571
RIP BROTHER CHRIS
I first met Chris at 571 ,he was very friendly with a Mate of mine MG pm 571

Last edited:
I remember dancing to the Chris McClure section in the old Electric Garden in Sauchiehall Street way back in the late 1960s. I met him for the first time around 15 years ago during a TravisTrek march raising funds for charity.
A good man.
GBNF

Seen him a few times in the social club. Always came across as a Rangers man. I am sure one of the events was not long before the 1978 World Cup and Andy Cameron was there as well.

A true Scottish legend who was loved by many.

Like him or not he was one of our own and had a long career.

Rest easy sir, you’ve earned it.

Back