Does standing create a better atmosphere?

Not one person sat down around me the whole game last night. Felt a bit bad for the old boy next to me with a stick who had to sit kinda perched on the top of his seat to see anything as a result but it definitely makes for a better atmosphere.
Could have put him on your shoulder ffs

Nah I think poor atmosphere in the UK (compared to Europe) is a result of high ticket prices to be honest.

Not just football… if going to see a band at the hydro I would always choose standing vs seating as it’s better

I enjoy standing and our section usually is standing but im also aware of the people around and struggle to see or stand for 90mins, hopefully a solution will work out.

100%

The club can't simply dismiss the want of people to stand at games either.
Even if the club introduced a safe standing of say 2-3k in the Broomloan front, it’s not going to make a difference when the full stadium wants to stand on a European night.

I sit in the Govan rear and our section stood for large parts of the game. Having a seat gives you the option depending on the stage of the game and to copy the rest of the crowd so you can see.

Be good until you get some coked up numptee or someone who been drinking all day, deciding he cant be arsed to go use toilet and uses the persons leg in front.
Ah the 70s and 80s.

First time i sat in gr5, normally gf all the time, anyway no choice to stand up there, everyone was getting told to sit down

Yes but I think there should be some common sense used whereby people in front few rows move elsewhere if someone approaches them asking if they can have their spot so they can sit

It’s happened at away games before, unsure if it’s happened at Ibrox

Rightly or wrongly, it definitely adds to the atmosphere.

It does cause issues with some though. Seen a woman on twitter complaining about it as it means her elderly dad can no longer go as he needs to sit down.

A safe standing section wouldn't solve it either. It's not going to stop other areas wanting to stand as well on nights like last night. As much as I feel for the folk that can't stand for the whole game, I don't think youd get an atmosphere like last night with folk sitting.

Sitting down for a game is so unnatural for me, but I try and be a bit wary of kids or disabled folk behind me if I'm going to stand.

In saying that, I've got sciatica and a slipped disc so I usually always pay the price for getting took over with adrenaline and jumping about like a fud.

Yeah, it does add to the atmosphere in the big games. On Saturday, for example it wouldn't make a difference.

The importance of the game has more of a bearing on the atmosphere.

I have no issue standing but the view from the back few rows of the enclosure is terrible because of the main stand overhang.

So much so I’d actually pay extra to be in a standing section. I wish they would make it happen. I’m in the club deck and see when it’s a big night and standing it’s wild the difference.
Should definitely be a standing section at Ibrox
Are u listening Mr Robertson ?

Last night with the heat im naw going to lie my legs are gubbed today.

Im still young enough to enjoy standing though and i feel it does add to the atmosphere.

Had my 11year old with me and he struggled to see at times which was my only drawback on standing.

Any grumpy old bears care to vent? Or was it better experience all round standing?
Id think the majority of our support or atleast half ? will be over 50 & when life & your health isn't as good as it once was your glad to plant your fat arse on a bit of plastic for a cpl hours .

Sing ?
At games like last night yes m8 dam tooting, we all try, 'we might be old but we can still be beautiful',
at times !!

Im still young enough to enjoy standing though and i feel it does add to the atmosphere.

Had my 11year old with me and he struggled to see at times which was my only drawback on standing.

Any grumpy old bears care to vent? Or was it better experience all round standing?
It's ok if your no In front of me or you would be down quick

Fighting age men are fine with standing up. That's why the atmosphere is more intimidating when you're at a stadium full of men that age.

I'm getting on myself but hate the whole 'family atmosphere' crap.

I generally stand every home game in the corner of the West Enclosure. Seems to be the thing to do there and I'm lucky enough that I can still stand for the duration of a game. It's easier to talk to those around you about the game rather than sit and turn around from time to time. I'd say it helps the atmosphere.

Broomloan lower, Copland lower and enclosures should all be standing.

Why bother with just one section...........

Admittedly it would involve a complete shuffle of ST holders and cause uproar with guys that have sat in a certain area for 30 plus years but.............. for the sake of the atmosphere???

Lets be honest outside euro nights and the bheasts the atmosphere is lacking.

Last edited:
Someone in front who is a foot taller isn't doing that much to impact the view of someone behind them TBF given the way football works, not that much more or less than if someone happens to be sat behind a tall c*nt.

There is a thirst from a lot of fans to make more occasions right, and make atmosphere improve more often.

It does become clear when changing areas around the stadium some fans have a want to sing and be involved way more than others, it does seem natural that more people who want to sing being together means more people sing.

It can often be the case some sitting in the stands can kill an atmosphere flat and some don't always want to be engaged

It does make a difference. The way we used to all be packed in and you couldn't move and you were behind Hen Broon for 90 minutes - you spent most of the game trying to see round him.

If a standing area is put in place then turn the enclosures back into standing areas then those who want to sing and have a bounce then do it to their hearts are content.

Getting the whole stadium engaged, like on the big European nights or v the scum is the key. This full stadium engagement isn't enhanced by one singing section leading the choir - it is the whole fan base naturally reacting for the moment to what is happening on the pitch and the sense of occasion.

For me, yes it makes a difference - people seem to get more involved in an odd way.
However, not quite comparing apples with apples when comparing European games with league games.

The fact the club are resolutely ignoring any discussions on this is poor. All it will lead to is people standing, and people moaning about people standing around them.

For me, yes it makes a difference - people seem to get more involved in an odd way.
However, not quite comparing apples with apples when comparing European games with league games.

The fact the club are resolutely ignoring any discussions on this is poor. All it will lead to is people standing, and people moaning about people standing around them.
Correct!! People stand most OF games and euros!! The sight of people falling down 3 or 4 rows in front of them is common........... install proper rail standing.

Also i think UEFA now given the green light for the likes of Dortmund to use their rail standing in european games.

I only ever stood at senior football as a bairn and, as I was a short arse then, I hated it. Now we sit and the atmosphere is good and when we get excited we stand and it's better. Best of both worlds.

We'll never have old style terracing again. It's not safe. Safe standing is not better than sitting. Let go of the past.

Yes, absolutely....your school music teacher would've told you, "you cant sing properly sitting down" !

I've got osteoarthritis in both knees so not my ideal scenario to stand for 90mins however standing did add to the atmosphere and encouraged you to sing so I'm all for it as is my daughter who stood on her seat most of the time doing the bouncy.

Can people not sing, clap, shout etc while sitting down?

Genuine question as it’s always the argument on here that if you sit there’s no atmosphere.

It does make a difference. The way we used to all be packed in and you couldn't move and you were behind Hen Broon for 90 minutes - you spent most of the game trying to see round him.

If a standing area is put in place then turn the enclosures back into standing areas then those who want to sing and have a bounce then do it to their hearts are content.

Getting the whole stadium engaged, like on the big European nights or v the scum is the key. This full stadium engagement isn't enhanced by one singing section leading the choir - it is the whole fan base naturally reacting for the moment to what is happening on the pitch and the sense of occasion.

Possibly was like that back in the day, these days with the tiered seats and the fact a game is rarely played directly in front of you, a tall person in front directly in front even when standing isn't that much a break in sight of the game.

The full stadium is never going to be engaged every week no one expects that and it has become a slightly false argument used against the idea of standing, most now know that the reality is, for a number of reasons, a load of people don't want to be engaged every week, and there is little wrong with that.... there should though be a f*ck load more done to accommodate the growing % of those who do want to stand, sing and chant and celebrate Rangers no matter the supposed sense of occasion.

I have back and leg issues that makes standing for a prolonged time give’s me a problem with pain in lower back and knee’s- doesn’t really stop me I simply top up with co-codamol before I leave the house- I still attend some junior games where sitting is not an option- I generally find a wall or something to lean on - at Ibrox especially on European nights and against the unwashed you know beforehand it will be standing- I try to get a wee sit down before the game starts then on my feet for 45 minutes sit back down at half-time and then on my feet again for next 45 minutes

The main reason for this is because while you are standing and singing you will be able to use your diaphragm without any obstructions.

Absolutely,I bet B.F. 1+2 are the most requested seat swaps when season ticket renewals are sent out,Most Bears under 30 would prefer to be in there jumping about with the rest of them .

Possibly was like that back in the day, these days with the tiered seats and the fact a game is rarely played directly in front of you, a tall person in front directly in front even when standing isn't that much a break in sight of the game.

The full stadium is never going to be engaged every week no one expects that and it has become a slightly false argument used against the idea of standing, most now know that the reality is, for a number of reasons, a load of people don't want to be engaged every week, and there is little wrong with that.... there should though be a f*ck load more done to accommodate the growing % of those who do want to stand, sing and chant and celebrate Rangers no matter the supposed sense of occasion.

Apart from cost and finding a suitable location for a safe standing area within Ibrox, there is the very valid question of the conduct of the supporters who will occupy that area.

Too many of our songs and chants continue to reference the eye are eh or Jobby Sands. This is unacceptable in a modern football stadium and may well be the reason more fans are no engaging in songs.

There is also the question of uprooting fans who are quite happy in their seats and have built relationships with other around them to accommodate a standing area. This has been mocked on here as an excuse and that those fans are selfish if they feel that way but the selfish argument works both ways.

Apart from cost and finding a suitable location for a safe standing area within Ibrox, there is the very valid question of the conduct of the supporters who will occupy that area.

Too many of our songs and chants continue to reference the eye are eh or Jobby Sands. This is unacceptable in a modern football stadium and may well be the reason more fans are no engaging in songs.

There is also the question of uprooting fans who are quite happy in their seats and have built relationships with other around them to accommodate a standing area. This has been mocked on here as an excuse and that those fans are selfish if they feel that way but the selfish argument works both ways.

That's pretty unfair TBH.

The area that currently stands has generally been as innovative as any fan group has in recent years of creating songs removed from those you mention, you are as likely to hear the songs you make mention of in areas of the main stand where people sit in all honesty.

The notion standing simply equals fans acting like idiots is a really, lazy stereotype and the kind of research that would have been carried out in England before it was introduced, people need to support and back our fan group far more than they do TBH

If we reach a stage of safe standing being introduced there is an element of tough shit to it TBH, if the club decided to build a new 90,000 seater stadium tomorrow, they would do so even against the wishes of some who simply wish to remain in their current seat

In what way?

Better sitting when you reach fifty.

I walked into the stadium fully expecting to stand all game as it’s now the par for a euro night but a few mins into the game an elderly chap behind me tapped me on the back & asked me if I could sit down. Not a problem at all was my reply as he’s paid his money to watch the game & not my back. Ended up celebrating with him as the goals went in so I think he appreciated me sitting down for him. But it’s now something the club has to take seriously as there’s punters now want to stand & there really should be a designated area to do it.

Back