Does standing create a better atmosphere?

100% it improves the atmosphere.

However, a lot of us can't stand for 90 minutes. And there are those, if standing behind someone a foot taller than they are, won't enjoy the experience.

I don't think a safe standing area is the solution to the atmosphere.

When Ibrox rocks, it fxxking rocks, with the whole stadium involved - including the elderly fans and, fatties like me, who have limited standing time then need a seat again.

If the occasion is right and the team are giving it everything on the pitch then Ibrox will bounce. Getting everyone engaged is the key.

If a safe standing is to be installed then the East and West Enclosures seem like the obvious places like before.

Enclosures only became the standing and singing areas by default as everywhere else was seated.

They are the worst possible location for a safe standing section.

I think it does. When Ibrox went almost all seater in the late 70s/early 80s I used to mainly go to the enclosure as it was still standing. I was young then and missed the huge terracing. However, as I got older I preferred to sit as it was more comfortable, I got a better view and I was less likely to get my glasses smashed.

I think dedicated safe standing would be great but older people or children need to be able to see the game as well.

That is why we need different sections for different fans. Give people a choice.

Singing, clapping and cheering creates sound of a great atmosphere stamping adds to it too! I suppose most people end up standing a lot thanks to performances!

The occasion creates the atmosphere in modern football

Will the entire stadium want to stand for 90mins v queen of the south in couple weeks? Nope,

Nostalgic thoughts of the old days , were quickly wiped out when started going to Alloa / east fife / Cowdenbeath

The occasion creates the atmosphere in modern football

Will the entire stadium want to stand for 90mins v queen of the south in couple weeks? Nope,

Nostalgic thoughts of the old days , were quickly wiped out when started going to Alloa / east fife / Cowdenbeath
Nostalgia's not what it used to be !

I think there are two main aspects to creation of a consistently good atmosphere and I would like to see both when he have the money for them:
  1. Dedicated safe standing areas
  2. The ability to stand or sit with family or friends - knowing you are with people who will be likely to sit quietly with you or jump around singing all night with nobody feeling guilty or embarrassed by being in either group.
The second of the two would require expansion to allow relocation and walk-ups. From my experience over the years, 30 thousand fans with their mates around them create a better atmosphere than 40 thousand surrounded by strangers.

Rightly or wrongly, it definitely adds to the atmosphere.

It does cause issues with some though. Seen a woman on twitter complaining about it as it means her elderly dad can no longer go as he needs to sit down.

A safe standing section wouldn't solve it either. It's not going to stop other areas wanting to stand as well on nights like last night. As much as I feel for the folk that can't stand for the whole game, I don't think youd get an atmosphere like last night with folk sitting.
The lady and her father sit in the row behind me. The old man is 90 yrs old. I also can't stand all game, I didn't go on Tuesday due to this. Whilst I agree standing does make for a better atmosphere it would be good if people also realised it's not possible for everyone to stand. I can understand everyone wanting to stand for Euro games and against them, just wish they'd sit for other games.

I applied for a move, as did the lady and her dad however wasn't lucky enough to get one. I'd love to go and be able to see the match and not have to watch it on screen after all I'm a paying customer too. Rangers need to sort out the safe standing which would enable the elderly and infirm the chance to enjoy the game too.

Btw I stand for most of the match when we're playing them, the andrenaline kicks in.

That's pretty unfair TBH.

The area that currently stands has generally been as innovative as any fan group has in recent years of creating songs removed from those you mention, you are as likely to hear the songs you make mention of in areas of the main stand where people sit in all honesty.

The notion standing simply equals fans acting like idiots is a really, lazy stereotype and the kind of research that would have been carried out in England before it was introduced, people need to support and back our fan group far more than they do TBH

If we reach a stage of safe standing being introduced there is an element of tough shit to it TBH, if the club decided to build a new 90,000 seater stadium tomorrow, they would do so even against the wishes of some who simply wish to remain in their current seat

It's not unfair at all.

On Tuesday we had to endure a 10 minute rendition of Build My Gallows after the PA said over to you Ibrox. This is OK on the bus or in the car or pub before the match.

I agree there are some terrific new songs appearing but the need to revert to the old songs with reference to the unwashed will always hold us back and I suspect will be one of the reasons the club may be reluctant to entertain a standing area.

Enclosures only became the standing and singing areas by default as everywhere else was seated.

They are the worst possible location for a safe standing section.
Why is that?

In what way?
It's embarrassing - we are better than that.

It's not unfair at all.

On Tuesday we had to endure a 10 minute rendition of Build My Gallows after the PA said over to you Ibrox. This is OK on the bus or in the car or pub before the match.

I agree there are some terrific new songs appearing but the need to revert to the old songs with reference to the unwashed will always hold us back and I suspect will be one of the reasons the club may be reluctant to entertain a standing area.

Why is that?

prefer the sash myself

On Tuesday we had to endure a 10 minute rendition of Build My Gallows after the PA said over to you Ibrox. This is OK on the bus or in the car or pub before the match

That's your opinion. I have no problem with Loyalist songs at Rangers matches and I'm clearly not alone.

That's your opinion. I have no problem with Loyalist songs at Rangers matches and I'm clearly not alone.

Clearly your not mate.

20, maybe even 10, years ago I'd have been singing with you.

Times have changed and we need to change with it is my opinion.

Really - please explain mate?

There isn't even an issue with that song being sung TBH and if there was (isn't) it is being sung in a stadium without a standing area so what difference does it make

It is highly likely even WITH a standing section that song would still be sung in areas where people sit.

Last edited:
Clearly your not mate.

20, maybe even 10, years ago I'd have been singing with you.

Times have changed and we need to change with it is my opinion.

You maybe don't want to go to games involving the Scotland National Team, they sing this song at the start, and actually often have a band, famous folk singing etc it which is well into singing about a historical battle.

Too many idiots don't seem or want to understand that.

Idiots?

Mate - when things change people will have concerns. It is best to address these concerns instead of just battering on to accommodate a specific group of fans.

For the record, I am not against safe standing - I would prefer to stand myself despite being a fat prick - but others have concerns and I think it is fair to address these concerns with the club and those fans.

Is that no fair mate?

If there is no solution to OF allocation and Celtic still get the corner, there’s no reason that BR can’t be turned into safe standing

You maybe don't want to go to games involving the Scotland National Team, they sing this song at the start, and actually often have a band, famous folk singing etc it which is well into singing about a historical battle.

I do occasionally go to Scotland games as I live two minutes from Hampden - I don't sing FOS for the very reason you state. I prefer shouting down any scum bastard who abuses any of our players (current or ex)

Idiots?

Mate - when things change people will have concerns. It is best to address these concerns instead of just battering on to accommodate a specific group of fans.

For the record, I am not against safe standing - I would prefer to stand myself despite being a fat prick - but others have concerns and I think it is fair to address these concerns with the club and those fans.

Is that no fair mate?

if your that fussed about "fair" you probably shouldn't attempt to tarnish people based on actions they haven't even partaken in yet TBF

Last edited:
If your capable of standing it’s definitely the best way of watching/participating in the whole match experience I stand every game have a sit down at halftime I feel more comfortable standing moving around than sitting tend to seize up sitting for too long so it suits me I’m in my sixties now so old school loyal and I love that the young bears stand and singing their hearts out makes me feel young again so I’ll stand for as long as I can in lots of ways I feel sorry for the younger ones who never experienced the Rangers end at Ibrox and Hampden and the piggery it was an unbelievable atmosphere being part of a support that took no shite and sung what we wanted.

Idiots?

Is that no fair mate?
'different sections for different fans' i actually put it in bold. Nobody would need to stand. A few standing sections would allow the people who want to stand to be able too others would move

Despite the fact I. Older now and quite enjoy sitting, standing creates a far better atmosphere, hands down. Think about it. When your standing you’re more animated wand when your sitting you’re more passive. Stands to reason standing will create a more electric feeling.

The simple answer is yes it does create a better atmosphere. But, I can see why some fans don‘t like - for good reasons like you’ve mentioned above.

Until we’ve got a dedicated safe standing area / stand, there’s always gonna be a bit of debate about it.
Should the Enclosure be our safe standing area again? We used to get a fine noise out there in the past.

Should the Enclosure be our safe standing area again? We used to get a fine noise out there in the past.

No. Why would you create a 'Kop' with the middle section missing?

The safe standing section should be in the highest profile area to let a worldwide audience see and hear our most animated fans. They are a fantastic advert for our club and fans and I for one love watching their displays and their coordinated actions. They should be centre stage.

If it was up to me Id have the whole of the Govan Front and the two corners as safe standing with rover tickets to allow people to move within that section.

Id also be lobbying the authorities to allow a greater ratio than 1 to 1. This would be the cheapest and best option for increasing capacity.

Away fans would be in the WE. Out of site and not spoiling the spectacle of a full stadium with empty seats kept for segregation.

If necessary at OF games a few rows could be kept clear in the Main Stand Front above the WE with a heavy stewarding presence to stop any friction between our fans and theirs.

Those ST holders in the WE would be offered first choice in the new Safe Standing area or if they prefer to remain seated in the seats vacated by those moving to the SS area. Same thing with current ST holders in the GF and corners.

Last night with the heat im naw going to lie my legs are gubbed today.

Im still young enough to enjoy standing though and i feel it does add to the atmosphere.

Had my 11year old with me and he struggled to see at times which was my only drawback on standing.

Any grumpy old bears care to vent? Or was it better experience all round standing?
No, it does not make for a better atmosphere.
It makes for severe backache, leg cramps and sore feet for this old codger.
I envied the Copeland end when I seen them sitting while I was watching the vlogger's video.

The safe standing section should be in the highest profile area to let a worldwide audience see and hear our most animated fans. They are a fantastic advert for our club and fans and I for one love watching their displays and their coordinated actions. They should be centre stage.

If it was up to me Id have the whole of the Govan Front and the two corners as safe standing with rover tickets to allow people to move within that section.

Id also be lobbying the authorities to allow a greater ratio than 1 to 1. This would be the cheapest and best option for increasing capacity.

Away fans would be in the WE. Out of site and not spoiling the spectacle of a full stadium with empty seats kept for segregation.

If necessary at OF games a few rows could be kept clear in the Main Stand Front above the WE with a heavy stewarding presence to stop any friction between our fans and theirs.

Those ST holders in the WE would be offered first choice in the new Safe Standing area or if they prefer to remain seated in the seats vacated by those moving to the SS area. Same thing with current ST holders in the GF and corners.
This reply nails it for me, well said.

It's not unfair at all.

Why is that?

F*ck all wrong with BMG.

Quite whil you're... Well, still way behind but before you lose it completely.

Last edited:

Fair comment.

There is absolutely no proof whatsoever that standing increases atmosphere at football! I'm in the club deck and we stand when there is occasion to and at times its been absolutely electric on Euro nights and I'm ok with that dynamic.

The 'Build my Gallows' on Tuesday was a poor song choice by the UB Capo guy or whatever he is called. Not the song to get the whole stadium going........very, very poor choice with so much to choose from!

Last edited:
There is absolutely no proof whatsoever that standing increases atmosphere at football! I'm in the club deck and we stand when there is occasion too and at times its been absolutely electric on Euro nights and I'm ok with that dynamic.

The 'Build my Gallows' on Tuesday was a poor song choice by the UB Capo guy or whatever he is called. Not the song to get the whole stadium going........very, very poor choice with so much to choose from!
the song is not poor

but I want a bag of cans and Ross McGill back!!

F*ck all wrong with BMG.

Quite whil you're... Well, still way behind but before you lose it completely.

Yes it is a good song in the right setting.

Did it not bug you though that the "eye are eh" got mentioned just as much in songs/chants than "Rangers"?

If you think this puts me way behind in my thinking then fair enough. We are all entitled to our opinions mate.

Yes it is a good song in the right setting.

Did it not bug you though that the "eye are eh" got mentioned just as much in songs/chants than "Rangers"?

If you think this puts me way behind in my thinking then fair enough. We are all entitled to our opinions mate.
do you want it from the 15th minute to the 60th?

What actions were those?

Thus far, the standing section apparently will….have,

“very valid question of the conduct of the supporters who will occupy that area”

Weird comment.

“Too many of our songs and chants continue to reference the eye are eh or Jobby Sands. This is unacceptable in a modern football stadium”

That has what to do with a proposed standing section? weird comment

“On Tuesday we had to endure a 10 minute rendition of Build My Gallows after the PA said over to you Ibrox. This is OK on the bus or in the car or pub before the match”

Strange comment to make on a few levels TBF let alone in relation to a standing section.

Don’t talk BS about wanting a “fair” conversation while trying to creative a narrative of behavior of people, when to be quite frank you have f*ck all clue about the profile of people who would be in the standing section.

The reality is, it would likely be a pretty wide range of fans of all different levels of conduct and how they see fit to act at a game.

Some people might not even be solely arsed about the atmosphere of the section and just prefer the experience of standing at a game, in the same way some want to SIT at a game, in this day and an age with options available a football club should be looking to cater to as many fans as possible, people could still sit if they wanted even with the introduction of safe standing

You are attempting to portray any standing section as a pending sectarian fueled hell hole, it is Spiers handwringer esque attempting to create a platform of fan behavior that in reality doesn’t exist so “fair”? nah, want a standing section? really not sure about that either TBH

In an ideal world we could reshuffle fans based on ability/want to stand, and also how much they wanna get involved with singing etc as many just sit there saying very little.

I get the whole “ive had this seat for years” brigade but essentially the support and atmosphere should outweigh all that.

If your capable of standing it’s definitely the best way of watching/participating in the whole match experience I stand every game have a sit down at halftime I feel more comfortable standing moving around than sitting tend to seize up sitting for too long so it suits me I’m in my sixties now so old school loyal and I love that the young bears stand and singing their hearts out makes me feel young again so I’ll stand for as long as I can in lots of ways I feel sorry for the younger ones who never experienced the Rangers end at Ibrox and Hampden and the piggery it was an unbelievable atmosphere being part of a support that took no shite and sung what we wanted.
My Dad is 75 years old. He was of course in Barcelona in 1972 and it was great to be with him in Manchester with tickets in 2008. Anyway. Every now and then I send him some contributions from FF. Here is my Dad’s opinion (he texted me via wapp) on the subject:

If everyone sits everyone can see the game , I'm not paying 30 quid for a ticket and missing 30% of the game because some big lad is in front of me, and if your really unlucky 3 big lads in front of you. I went to Ibrox and hampden back in the sixties where we could only afford terracing tickets, people pissing in your wellies or big buggers in front of you, horrendous when any of our pals managed to get a stand ticket, we were jealous, he had a seat,
brilliant view of the pitch, and could wear his good shoes. The stands were always nearer to the action, the enclosure was nearer, standing only, but it was like the dugout, you couldn't see the other side of the pitch, Ibrox was curved then.

I only ever stood at senior football as a bairn and, as I was a short arse then, I hated it. Now we sit and the atmosphere is good and when we get excited we stand and it's better. Best of both worlds.

We'll never have old style terracing again. It's not safe. Safe standing is not better than sitting. Let go of the past.
safe standing = the past

D6D32CE7-0B91-4BC0-AA25-AB0D35A08353.gif

My Dad is 75 years old. He was of course in Barcelona in 1972 and it was great to be with him in Manchester with tickets in 2008. Anyway. Every now and then I send him some contributions from FF. Here is my Dad’s opinion (he texted me via wapp) on the subject:

If everyone sits everyone can see the game , I'm not paying 30 quid for a ticket and missing 30% of the game because some big lad is in front of me, and if your really unlucky 3 big lads in front of you. I went to Ibrox and hampden back in the sixties where we could only afford terracing tickets, people pissing in your wellies or big buggers in front of you, horrendous when any of our pals managed to get a stand ticket, we were jealous, he had a seat,
brilliant view of the pitch, and could wear his good shoes. The stands were always nearer to the action, the enclosure was nearer, standing only, but it was like the dugout, you couldn't see the other side of the pitch, Ibrox was curved then.

No one is asking your dad to stand in the middle of the STANDING section. Its for those that want to stand and will probably only cater for around 10% of capacity.

Incidentally, I was in Barca in 1972 and Manchester in 2008. I loved the terracing, the singing and the atmosphere. I wouldnt have thanked you for a ticket to the stand.

It absolutely adds to it.

I’m of the opinion that we need to embrace safe standing at some point, whether it be the full Broomloan or part.

The “Family” section has its flaws and I feel that’s an area that could be adapted to become safe standing in time.

Example, at what ages do we consider the cut offs where it should be classed as a family area anymore.

Kids up to a certain age, but as they get older it defeats the purpose of it being a family area, if a dad in his 60s is sitting there with his 30 something kid does it not?
The question becomes where do we move these folk after they become ineligible age wise given capacity restrictions.

So for that reason, among others, the family section should be scrapped and redone in time.

Last night with the heat im naw going to lie my legs are gubbed today.

Im still young enough to enjoy standing though and i feel it does add to the atmosphere.

Had my 11year old with me and he struggled to see at times which was my only drawback on standing.

Any grumpy old bears care to vent? Or was it better experience all round standing?

Surely a short arse like you struggled to see as well?

Back