Douglas park - hearts director

I remember the story about Wallace Mercer trying to take over Hibs and merge them with Hearts, and dissolve Hibs altogether - quite a character

I remember the story about Wallace Mercer trying to take over Hibs and merge them with Hearts, and dissolve Hibs altogether - quite a character
I lived in Edinburgh at the time, caused a real stushie. ‘Hands Off Hibs’ was the response.

There are only so many places on a board at a football club available at any one given time and they, generally, end up being filled by associates of the Chairman or owner.

I think you'll find a lot of folk who 'just want to get into fitba' at that level will end up at a club they don't support because a friend or business colleague or in some case a local club simply asks them to join.

Sir flim flam was a rugby man, was he not, with a passing interest in Ayr Utd ?

WATP

It was rumoured back then that Tom Hunter would not go anywhere near Rangers with Murray in charge , perhaps Douglas Park felt the same.
And oh how right they would have been.

Businessman first and foremost, maybe it was a business opportunity that was too good to turn down (Hearts I mean)
He was invited onto the Hearts board by Wallace Mercer, he also had a small investment in Hearts as well as supplying the team Buses. He was no friend of Sir Duped so probably just went along for the ride and to look after his investment.

Back