empty stadiums throughout the SPL

You are completely missing every point.

If you are only interested in football for massive scorelines maybe it's not for you. The 5-5 game against Hibs sums it up. Lots of goals, but absolutely no quality whatsoever. Two very poor sides with no understanding of tactics playing schoolboy style football.

I'd suggest those writing off anything that it's of a high technical standard are missing the point.

It's entirely possible to watch a game of football that is low on technical ability but delivers on entertainment. You can have 2 very technical, very tactical teams playing out a dull 0-0 draw that offers no entertainment. You can go along to your local lower league team and watch 2 teams going all out to beat each other, watch a tactically and technically basic game of football and be entertained. The 5-5 Hibs game? There might not have been any quality in it but there was certainly entertainment.

We've been conditioned as modern football fans to reject anything that it's highly technical. Otto Rehagel's success with Greece in the Euros was a travesty because although they were a highly technical and very tactical team, they were absolutely atrocious to watch. Is that what we want from modern football? Teams that are technically and tactically highly proficient but games with zero competitive edge and little to no excitement?

The modern football fan has an unsustainable image of football. They've been brought up to reject anything that doesn't match the idealised image of football that TV companies and marketing gurus sell them. If we lose lower league and community football then football stops becoming a sport and is reduced to nothing more than another form of mass entertainment. It has to be about more than watching games on TV.

I'd suggest those writing off anything that it's of a high technical standard are missing the point.

It's entirely possible to watch a game of football that is low on technical ability but delivers on entertainment. You can have 2 very technical, very tactical teams playing out a dull 0-0 draw that offers no entertainment. You can go along to your local lower league team and watch 2 teams going all out to beat each other, watch a tactically and technically basic game of football and be entertained. The 5-5 Hibs game? There might not have been any quality in it but there was certainly entertainment.

We've been conditioned as modern football fans to reject anything that it's highly technical. Otto Rehagel's success with Greece in the Euros was a travesty because although they were a highly technical and very tactical team, they were absolutely atrocious to watch. Is that what we want from modern football? Teams that are technically and tactically highly proficient but games with zero competitive edge and little to no excitement?

The modern football fan has an unsustainable image of football. They've been brought up to reject anything that doesn't match the idealised image of football that TV companies and marketing gurus sell them. If we lose lower league and community football then football stops becoming a sport and is reduced to nothing more than another form of mass entertainment. It has to be about more than watching games on TV.

Again, the best players in the world are the best players because they work on all aspects of their game. That is real football. Football with low skill but high goals is shite football and the players will likely not progress. There is a reason why the better teams don't play out 5-5 draws and nonsense like that.

How does making players worse make up for entertainment? Just don't get it. Clearly don't understand the tactical side of it and should maybe start watching some under 7 games.

When I’ve watched Rangers archive on YouTube the stadiums around Scotland always looked full against us. Maybe back then most fans felt they had a chance against us but now the opposite? All seater stadia might not have helped either.

Souness, 1986, the debut....watch it. 32,000 at Easter Road and not a space to be found. Sardines.

Again, the best players in the world are the best players because they work on all aspects of their game. That is real football. Football with low skill but high goals is shite football and the players will likely not progress. There is a reason why the better teams don't play out 5-5 draws and nonsense like that.

How does making players worse make up for entertainment? Just don't get it. Clearly don't understand the tactical side of it and should maybe start watching some under 7 games.

That Greece team of Otto Rehagl. It was highly technical and highly tactical.

Did you enjoy watching them win the Euros?

That Greece team of Otto Rehagl. It was highly technical and highly tactical.

Did you enjoy watching them win the Euros?

Yes, they deserved to win it. Football is a tactical match. We employed defensive tactics in Manchester, it's football.

I enjoy watching football as it is and of course prefer attacking football. But football is far more than that. Winning ,successful teams fill stadiums - you build a winning successful team by better coaching at youth level. That coaching should concentrate more on technique and skill than size and pace.

It's the old adage that players like Xavi and Iniesta wouldn't have made it in Scotland due to their size and physique.

We could fill every stadium for every game if they’d allow it. Seems mental to me that clubs are dying for income, we are desperate for seats at the game and yet neither the Twain shall meet.

I know that home teams do not want to cede home advantage to rangers or that other lot but it’s economic suicide to shut out paying customers from your business.

I’m sure their bankers would be happy too.

Yes, they deserved to win it. Football is a tactical match. We employed defensive tactics in Manchester, it's football.

I enjoy watching football as it is and of course prefer attacking football. But football is far more than that. Winning ,successful teams fill stadiums - you build a winning successful team by better coaching at youth level. That coaching should concentrate more on technique and skill than size and pace.

It's the old adage that players like Xavi and Iniesta wouldn't have made it in Scotland due to their size and physique.

I didn't ask if they deserved to win it.

I asked if you were entertained watching them.

Cost.

500 fans paying £15 a head brings in £7500. At £10 a head you'd need to find another 250 fans to turn up.

Is the cost of the ticket really the reason those 250 extra folk aren't going to their local team?

It isn't. Cost may be a factor but it isn't the only factor or even the most significant factor.

I know you’re probably right, but we often see clubs like Kilmarnock, Dundee, St. Johnstone etc getting to semi finals and even finals of the cups and suddenly here’s another 5000 fans coming out the woodwork.

Glory hunters perhaps, folk who live away and can’t get there every week, but in amongst it there must be more than just a few who’d be tempted to go more regularly if it was better priced?

Or am I just being naive?

As long as Rangers and Celtic roll up four times a year they’re in the black?

Us and the vermin have killed the game up here. Horrible to say it but it's a fact it's now over 30 years since a team out with the big 2 have won the league and the gap is widening at an alarming rate.

The other teams fans have got bored of a 2 horse race simple as that.

I know you’re probably right, but we often see clubs like Kilmarnock, Dundee, St. Johnstone etc getting to semi finals and even finals of the cups and suddenly here’s another 5000 fans coming out the woodwork.

Glory hunters perhaps, folk who live away and can’t get there every week, but in amongst it there must be more than just a few who’d be tempted to go more regularly if it was better priced?

Or am I just being naive?

As long as Rangers and Celtic roll up four times a year they’re in the black?

Partly its lapsed fans making an effort. Partly its glory hunters. Partly its locals with no interest in their local team but who want to go along to a big cup game for the experience of going.

Converting them into regular match attending fans seems to be an impossible task

Was at perth on Sunday and between the two of their stands I reckon they had no more than 1500 absolutely unbelievable,they could have put all there fans in the main stand and given us the other.

Overpriced tickets
Over the top stewarding and policing
Terrible football from the majority
Restrictions on alcohol
No pyramid structure
Playing the same teams 4 times a season

It's no wonder a lot of fans don't bother their arse. SPFL/SFA could do so much to get the fans back but they seem to be happy with the empty stadiums as they never do anything to change it.
There is a pyramid structure now. Play off between the lowland and highland league winners then a play off between the winner of that match and the bottom team in League 2.

Agree with all your other points though

but its just us and the fiddlers! it doesnt make for good viewing from an outside perspective! i always cringe when we are playing away to a st johnston or a livingston and its live on Sky. No wonder the rest of the uk think we play in a pub league
I'd watch the pub league if it was on TV before btsport

Back