EURO 2024 Draw - Scotland drawn with Germany, Hungary and Switzerland

I don't know where the confidence in Scotland is coming from. We scored 1 goal and got 1 point in the last tournament we qualified for. Plus we had 2 home games. We can't score goals and are playing teams technically superior to us. We will get 2 points at best.
It's laughable that folk think that Scotland will get out the group. Germany will ease past them, Hungry beat England and will piss over Scotland. Might get a draw with the Swiss.

It's laughable that folk think that Scotland will get out the group. Germany will ease past them, Hungry beat England and will piss over Scotland. Might get a draw with the Swiss.
Should be beating the Swiss. Hungary will potentially win the group with the Germans second.

16 out of the 24 group teams qualify for the knockout stages, so likely 3 points will be enough.

No a bad group? Will Clarke be judged on how he does here or will he be safe no matter what? if that’s the case that’s a cushy job

The 4-0 away to England whilst a shock of course, ok I said friendly originally but Nations League is not taken seriously in the group matches by the top tier nations...check out some of the batterings Germany have taken in fairly recent times in Nations League and friendlies.

If Scotland can keep their top EPL performers fit they have as good a chance as Switzerland and Hungary of qualifying.

I don't know where the confidence in Scotland is coming from. We scored 1 goal and got 1 point in the last tournament we qualified for. Plus we had 2 home games. We can't score goals and are playing teams technically superior to us. We will get 2 points at best.
We scored 2 vs Spain, 5 vs Norway, 4 or 5 vs Georgia and 6 vs Cyprus in qualifying. We also scored against both England and France in the recent friendlies. We aren't always exciting but we can definitely score goals.

It's a difficult group but one that you could make an argument for us winning every game in isolation. Germany will surely be in a better place by the time the tournament comes around but I got a real buzz when I seen us getting drawn into the opening game. Barely old enough to remember France 98 but the thought of opening the entire tournament vs the hosts is an exciting one.

Germany will win the group with ease. Home advantage counts for a lot, and they aren't going to be out of form forever. I have little doubt they will beat Scotland, but that's irrelevant as far as Scotland's chances of qualification are concerned. That will be determined by the games versus Hungary and Switzerland.

You can make a case for any of the other three sides finishing 2nd. It's not a prolonged campaign like in club football. It's three matches, played on (Germany aside) neutral territory. Anything can happen.

I know this is a Rangers forum and it's seen as mightily unstaunch to pay the national team one iota of respect or play up its chances in any way, but this isn't the Berti Vogts era. We aren't going to win Euro 2024, but we aren't exactly shite either. Dismissing Scotland's chances of reaching the knockout stage as "laughable" is just as hysterical as saying they'll definitely top the group.

Scotland have just qualified from a group containing Spain and Norway. We took 4 points and scored 5 goals in our matches against Norway. Spain couldn't best us in the head to head. Hand on heart, could you honestly say that Hungary or Switzerland would have managed that?

Hungary's qualification campaign was impressive, there's no doubt about that. They played eight, winning five and drawing three. But their opponents were Serbia, Montenegro, Lithuania and Bulgaria. Scotland's group was light years more difficult than that. Yet Scotland only lost one in eight matches.

Switzerland played ten matches and won just four of them in a group also containing Romania, Israel, Belarus, Kosovo and Andorra. I mean, well done on reaching the finals, but it's hardly a record to make Pep Guardiola jealous, is it?

Yes, it's Scotland. We could easily crash and burn. But to dismiss our chances at this juncture, six months before the finals get underway, doesn't indicate a great deal of recent football knowledge and simply indicates a bias against the national team and the man currently in charge of it. It isn't consistent with recent results whatsoever.

3 points and not getting pumped by Germany / Hungary can get us through as a goal difference of 0 / -1 should get you through in 3rd spot.

The first game is crucial as a sneaky draw v Germany will give us a massive boost going into the other 2 games and takes the pressure of our game v Switzerland that I think will play a huge part in whether we qualify or not.

they are pish to think folk are reckoning they are getting out there group, bad enough getting there khunt of a manager out his bed after a bottle of eldarado

they are pish to think folk are reckoning they are getting out there group, bad enough getting there khunt of a manager out his bed after a bottle of eldarado
I think you drank a bottle of Eldorado or Buckfast before writing that. Or clearly you don't know the difference between their, there, and they're.

Scotland are very far removed from pish that were before Clarke took over but I could see us finishing on anything from 1 to 7 points depending on how we cope with the tournament and two massive games v Swiss and Hungary especially.

Germany will win the group with ease. Home advantage counts for a lot, and they aren't going to be out of form forever. I have little doubt they will beat Scotland, but that's irrelevant as far as Scotland's chances of qualification are concerned. That will be determined by the games versus Hungary and Switzerland.

You can make a case for any of the other three sides finishing 2nd. It's not a prolonged campaign like in club football. It's three matches, played on (Germany aside) neutral territory. Anything can happen.

I know this is a Rangers forum and it's seen as mightily unstaunch to pay the national team one iota of respect or play up its chances in any way, but this isn't the Berti Vogts era. We aren't going to win Euro 2024, but we aren't exactly shite either. Dismissing Scotland's chances of reaching the knockout stage as "laughable" is just as hysterical as saying they'll definitely top the group.

Scotland have just qualified from a group containing Spain and Norway. We took 4 points and scored 5 goals in our matches against Norway. Spain couldn't best us in the head to head. Hand on heart, could you honestly say that Hungary or Switzerland would have managed that?

Hungary's qualification campaign was impressive, there's no doubt about that. They played eight, winning five and drawing three. But their opponents were Serbia, Montenegro, Lithuania and Bulgaria. Scotland's group was light years more difficult than that. Yet Scotland only lost one in eight matches.

Switzerland played ten matches and won just four of them in a group also containing Romania, Israel, Belarus, Kosovo and Andorra. I mean, well done on reaching the finals, but it's hardly a record to make Pep Guardiola jealous, is it?

Yes, it's Scotland. We could easily crash and burn. But to dismiss our chances at this juncture, six months before the finals get underway, doesn't indicate a great deal of recent football knowledge and simply indicates a bias against the national team and the man currently in charge of it. It isn't consistent with recent results whatsoever.
Fantastic post mate. Absolutely spot on about the difference in group quality. Considering its likely that 3 teams go through put of 4, 1 win will do it id think. The idea that we simply can’t manage that is ridiculous.

The 4-0 away to England whilst a shock of course, ok I said friendly originally but Nations League is not taken seriously in the group matches by the top tier nations...check out some of the batterings Germany have taken in fairly recent times in Nations League and friendlies.

If Scotland can keep their top EPL performers fit they have as good a chance as Switzerland and Hungary of qualifying.
Germany got spanked about 5-0 off of a Japan side containing Maeda I think. It led to them giving their gaffer the boot i think. They are little more than a big name nowadays.

Been singing Celtic fans since our inception despite the papist hullabaloo of we don't sign Catholics .
Strange that a club set up for and designed by Catholics still feel the need to peddle a catholic.ideology on a football club that needed protestants yet go to papist central to try reaffirm their papist outlook in the 21st century .

We are most certainly not Sectarian B-)
Aye, but can we beat Germany?

Scotland have a similar chance to get out of their group compared to Hungary and Switzerland. I think Germany will win the group but one bad result for them changes everything. Scotland have every reason to be confident of progression but it ultimately comes down to getting over 3 points. Remember they could also qualify from 3rd place. Every reason to be confident. This is coming from an England fan here.

You make some reasonable points. I would counter by saying this is a team who recently couldn't beat an average Moldovan team. It could be argued that they were fortunate to get a draw.

This team failed miserably the last time they reached the finals with the advantage of having games at Hampden. The manager is conservative in his approach and often sets the team up not to loose. I don't think it's outlandish to suggest that they won't qualify from the group.

You make some reasonable points. I would counter by saying this is a team who recently couldn't beat an average Moldovan team. It could be argued that they were fortunate to get a draw.

This team failed miserably the last time they reached the finals with the advantage of having games at Hampden. The manager is conservative in his approach and often sets the team up not to loose. I don't think it's outlandish to suggest that they won't qualify from the group.
When was this mate?

Scotland have a similar chance to get out of their group compared to Hungary and Switzerland. I think Germany will win the group but one bad result for them changes everything. Scotland have every reason to be confident of progression but it ultimately comes down to getting over 3 points. Remember they could also qualify from 3rd place. Every reason to be confident. This is coming from an England fan here.
I think we have a better team than the last Euros, and a decent chance of getting out the group, however I think the big problem will be up front.

Dykes and Adams are hardly setting the heather on fire at the moment, and that's Clarke's favoured strikers. I think he will stick with them come what may even if their form hasn't improved.

I'd have Shankland as first choice all day long, but I'm not convinced Clarke fancies him. He'll probably pick him to go but think it'll be as an 85th minute substitute in each game.

Hope I'm wrong.

Would like to think we can get out of the group this time. Germany are a different team at tournaments, think we do OK against the Swiss. Hungary will be the one that we,ll need to up our game. If we can get four points, think that would be enough for us.

Georgia and my point stands.
Not really mate. They had lost 2 game in 10 at home, including beating norway. They have a pretty decent team now. We had qualified already so rotated and took it less seriously. We also were missing our keeper, 2 pf the back 3, our PB and captain etc. When it mattered, we beat them comfortably.

I think we have a better team than the last Euros, and a decent chance of getting out the group, however I think the big problem will be up front.

Dykes and Adams are hardly setting the heather on fire at the moment, and that's Clarke's favoured strikers. I think he will stick with them come what may even if their form hasn't improved.

I'd have Shankland as first choice all day long, but I'm not convinced Clarke fancies him. He'll probably pick him to go but think it'll be as an 85th minute substitute in each game.

Hope I'm wrong.
Scotlands problem has always been the lack of an out and out striker. That held you back at Euro 2020. Maybe Shankland is the answer?

Question for those who applied and were successful in the UEFA ballot. What category of tickets did you go for and did they end up bumping you up or down a category?

Some people over-rate Hungary based on their 4-0 win against England at Molineux. They were ruthless that day but England were abysmal in the lead up to the World Cup. But the previous two games before that in Budapest, England won 1-3 and drew the other 1-1. Hungary are a well drilled side with one stand out player. You can say the same for Scotland really. I'm no fan of McTominay and think he's a very limited footballer but can't deny that for Scotland he's a big player who scores goals.

Germany are a complete lottery. They still look awful under the new manager but they do have world-class players like Sane that Scotland just don't have. They'll either be inspired playing at home and could go all the way, or they'll buckle under the pressure and could easily go out in the group stages. Scotland have as much change of qualifying from that group as the other three teams. I can't see any side winning all three games.

I’ve got tickets for the 2nd placed teams in groups A & B meeting in Berlin.
The Group B will serve up Spain, Italy or Croatia.. so happy to see any of those teams in any case.

Germany have been flattering of late but can’t imagine them not winning the group.
Scotland & Hungary probably in competition for 2nd place.. who knows? Clarke has Scotland playing with a purpose and bit of edge when it matters these days

I’ve booked to go as around 6 of my mates are.

Fly to Brussels on Tuesday 18th and spend two nights in Cologne. (Scotland vs Switzerland)

Thursday & Friday nights - Staying in Mainz (this might change)

Saturday- Tuesday in Stuttgart (Scotland vs Hungary)

No tickets but not really bothered about that to be honest.

Question for those who applied and were successful in the UEFA ballot. What category of tickets did you go for and did they end up bumping you up or down a category?
I was bumped up a category for one game and got what I applied for in the other.
Went for the middle category.

What you apply there’s a button to click if you are willing to go up/down categories to get a ticket.
They were that expensive already, and it’s a rare opportunity to get a match ticket so I just went for it.
€150 tickets became €200 a piece though.

I’ve booked to go as around 6 of my mates are.

Fly to Brussels on Tuesday 18th and spend two nights in Cologne. (Scotland vs Switzerland)

Thursday & Friday nights - Staying in Mainz (this might change)

Saturday- Tuesday in Stuttgart (Scotland vs Hungary)

No tickets but not really bothered about that to be honest.

Not a bad place Mainz, there is a Uni there. In Frankfurt 17th to 19th for England, got sorted straight after draw which I’m glad about as Hotels are stupid now.

Not a bad place Mainz, there is a Uni there. In Frankfurt 17th to 19th for England, got sorted straight after draw which I’m glad about as Hotels are stupid now.
Yeah that was the problem for us, at one point on Sunday there was no options in central Cologne and those that did open up were crazy expensive.

We had booked somewhere in Bonn but then something became available in Cologne that was reasonable albeit a bit of a dump.

Mainz was just selected as it was in between Cologne and Stuttgart hence why it might change but I’ll do some research and see if it’s worth hanging about.

I want to head to Frankfurt for that England game but you sure it’s 17th to 19th, as I was thinking it was 20th (Thursday) the day after Scotland play.

Yeah that was the problem for us, at one point on Sunday there was no options in central Cologne and those that did open up were crazy expensive.

We had booked somewhere in Bonn but then something became available in Cologne that was reasonable albeit a bit of a dump.

Mainz was just selected as it was in between Cologne and Stuttgart hence why it might change but I’ll do some research and see if it’s worth hanging about.

I want to head to Frankfurt for that England game but you sure it’s 17th to 19th, as I was thinking it was 20th (Thursday) the day after Scotland play.

Sorry 19th to 21st, my cock up.

Freiburg ain’t a bad little place, lovely pubs and food. Might be a bit tame that’s all depending on what you are after. I’ve never been but Koblenz meant to be nice, again though could be a bit tame. You can see the train times for that preriod in the bahn.de website now.

SSC have made a rip roaring arse of the ticket sales. 11 pointers received emails with their login codes for tickets (cut off was meant to be 12 points)

Sales schedule delayed now

Sorry 19th to 21st, my cock up.

Freiburg ain’t a bad little place, lovely pubs and food. Might be a bit tame that’s all depending on what you are after. I’ve never been but Koblenz meant to be nice, again though could be a bit tame. You can see the train times for that preriod in the bahn.de website now.
Just making sure you’d not got it wrong :D

I’m not really sure what I’m after, I suppose after 2 nights on the drink in Cologne with another few days later in the week, a more chilled environment might be good so somewhere in between wild and tame. We’re all going to be age 30-35 so the hangovers are getting worse.

Germany doesn’t seem to have many hotels with outside pools with a bar just to chill at that would be perfect but I’ll keep looking.

I’m not really sure what I’m after, I suppose after 2 nights on the drink in Cologne with another few days later in the week, a more chilled environment might be good so somewhere in between wild and tame. We’re all going to be age 30-35 so the hangovers are getting worse.

Germany doesn’t seem to have many hotels with outside pools with a bar just to chill at that would be perfect but I’ll keep looking.

So many dates in my mind looking at "what if's etc"! Munich has a lot of outdoor public pools, I could see Freiburg having something like what you are after in the Black Forest area.

Our group are heading for Heidelberg after the game in cologne for a few days, before moving to Stuttgart.

It’s a nice town with plenty pubs etc and should be a little quieter than the big cities. Accommodation prices were much more reasonable too.

SSC have made a rip roaring arse of the ticket sales. 11 pointers received emails with their login codes for tickets (cut off was meant to be 12 points)

Sales schedule delayed now
Over 7000 ineligible members received the access codes. Meltdown

I was bumped up a category for one game and got what I applied for in the other.
Went for the middle category.

What you apply there’s a button to click if you are willing to go up/down categories to get a ticket.
They were that expensive already, and it’s a rare opportunity to get a match ticket so I just went for it.
€150 tickets became €200 a piece though.
Thanks for that mate. I’ve ended up going for Cat 1 tickets in the end and no upgrades. Dont fancy paying double for one of the prime seats!

Scotlands problem has always been the lack of an out and out striker. That held you back at Euro 2020. Maybe Shankland is the answer?
Hopefully he is, I'm just worried at the thought of Clarke sticking with Dykes and Adams even if they're out of form, that it might come back to haunt us.

I find it astonishing that he picked Jacob Brown ahead of Shankland recently when his stats are nowhere near as good in comparison. Even if you take away Shankland's penalties, he's still scored more than Brown, and his work rate off the ball is excellent. Brown is poor and has scored something like 3 goals in 2 seasons. I stand to be corrected on that one though.

Just have a feeling that Clarke has Shankland down the pecking order for some reason, unless Dykes and Adams find a bit of form before Germany.

I've done a slight disservice to Jacob Brown, who has scored more goals in that period than I gave him credit for above, however it's still way behind Shankland. Although he's playing in a tougher league, a good player can play anywhere, and I think Shankland would do a great job for us. Although other posters are unsure about that, and we're all entitled to an opinion, I think the mess that Beale has left us in has left a lot of fans extra cautious as to who we buy in future, and I think some, not all, may have their view of Shankland clouded by that.

Beale really left us in a mess, it goes without saying, but to leave us in a position where paranoia creeps in to the belief amongst fans that other possible targets aren't good enough when their stats say otherwise is frightening.

Last edited:
Back