Expected goals pre and post Beale

Worth bearing in mind that the wonderful Celtic have only conceded 6 fewer goals than us in the league (27 to 21).

That could well be the difference between being 9 points behind and being 3 points behind, but it’s not a huge difference when you consider the opinions on our defence.
If you remove old firm games then they have conceded 2 fewer goals against the rest.

Maybe not, but our biggest issue under Gio was not playing on the front foot enough so I'm glad this issue is being solved.

Beale was also assistant during our best defensive record in the league so I'm confident after a pre season he'll have us looking good at both ends of the pitch.

Do you have the stats on attempts at goal instead of this made up NPxG nonsense ?

xG is useless if you don’t have strikers that can convert.

Beale has been in charge 19 domestic games we have scored 48 conceded 18 over these games an average goals for 2.53 against 0.95

GvB was in charge of 17 domestic games this season we scored 38 conceded 15 so an average goals for 2.24, against 0.88

Beale goal difference 1.6 GvB 1.4, hardly a significant difference.

We have kept a clean sheet in only 8 of these 19 games, conceded 2 in 7.

Such a basic thing to say though. Do you not expect the staff to be looking at why we concede and why we don't score the amount of goals we should? It's not under 10's thats why games aren't finishing 11-10.
Maybe I was being a bit flippant although the basic premis remains true.I think we concede because we are poor at defending set pieces and we try to play our way out when sometimes simply clearing your lines is the best thing to do.Yesterday Colak should have leathered it out the park and Ryan Jack also against the tramps.
IMO we are scoring quite well.Eleven out of the last nineteen games we have scored three or more and five with two.Beale is developing the team and I think he will get the defence sorted out.

I wonder if we have stats for goals conceded to shots on target. It seems like every shot on target opposition teams have is a goal.

1st season in a long time I think we have failed to score 5 goals in a match, 1 of these games a team will take an absolute scudding

I think I remember reading on here a month ago that our expected conceded goals was slightly higher under Beale, could have changed by now but we are definitely still letting in a fair few goals
xG against being slightly higher under Beale isn't an issue in itself as we're playing more on the front foot, making our xG a lot better as a result. It's that we keep conceding more goals that we should, a new keeper in the summer will rectify that.

How many did we come back to win?
Under Gio
Came back to win 2-1 against Livi
Failed to come back against the scum (4-0)
Failed to come back against Livi (1-1)
Came back against Aberdeen (4-1)
Failed to come back against St J (2-1)
Failed to come back against St M (1-1)
33% win rate from conceding first

Under Beale
Came back against Hibs (3-2)
Got a draw against the scum (2-2)
Came back against Aberdeen (2-1)
Came back against Killie (3-2)
Came back against Partick (3-2)
Failed to come back against scum (2-1)
Came back against Hibs (4-1)
Came back against Motherwell (4-2)
75% win rate from conceding first

Can’t see any other games where we conceded first this season. 6 for Gio and 8 for Beale as far as I can see. Obviously not good enough from either but far more confident coming back under Beale. For me when we went behind under Gio the team collapsed and the game was basically over. Under Beale I’m always confident of still managing a win if we go behind.

Makes less of a difference when they’ve scored 5 & 6 against opponents regularly this year, something we’ve failed to do.
This is it their strikers and wingers score more till we change that we will watch them celebrate while on here some will say our players are better and accept second best.

Last edited:
Worth bearing in mind that the wonderful Celtic have only conceded 6 fewer goals than us in the league (27 to 21).

That could well be the difference between being 9 points behind and being 3 points behind, but it’s not a huge difference when you consider the opinions on our defence.
And considering our defence injury issues. How much different would theirs look if C-V had been out for considerable time?

Under Gio

Under Beale

Can’t see any other games where we conceded first this season. 6 for Gio and 8 for Beale as far as I can see. Obviously not good enough from either but far more confident coming back under Beale. For me when we went behind under Gio the team collapsed and the game was basically over. Under Beale I’m always confident of still managing a win if we go behind.
Still, as @David Edgar has said repeatedly over the weekend - big teams don’t do that.

Do you have the stats on attempts at goal instead of this made up NPxG nonsense ?

xG is useless if you don’t have strikers that can convert.

Beale has been in charge 19 domestic games we have scored 48 conceded 18 over these games an average goals for 2.53 against 0.95

GvB was in charge of 17 domestic games this season we scored 38 conceded 15 so an average goals for 2.24, against 0.88

Beale goal difference 1.6 GvB 1.4, hardly a significant difference.

We have kept a clean sheet in only 8 of these 19 games, conceded 2 in 7.

This you doubling down on the narrative that we haven’t improved much under Beale vs Gio haha?

Desperate stuff.

So take out the 4-0 hammering and it’s almost even

Domestically

8 out of 19 under Beale we have conceded first

5 out of 17 under GvB we conceded first.
So we’re getting worse in this respect

As I’ve said it’s a mentality thing

We need a new defensive mid a bastard a moan et a captain

We need a new goal keeper who commands his box and can sweep up

We need a new centre forward and new right winger and left winger if kent goes

I’d be selling lundstrum kamara to help fund the new defensive midfielder

Under Gio

Under Beale

75% win rate from conceding first is pretty exceptional, but it gives me the fear, its not sustainable.

It's not helped that we've had a rotating back 4 for most of this season due to injuries and Sands playing out of position, think next season we should hopefully look a bit more settled there

But a new keeper keeper will be needed for the next 2 or 3 seasons. One to replace Shagger this year, one to replace Mclaughlin next year and then whatever we do with McCrorie - I think it's crazy he's not been given a proper shot, surely he can't be that bad, if he has a future at Rangers he should be playing now to take over next season.

Understand McCrorie is young but if he can't get a spot with our keeper situation atm I'm struggle to see him ever make it at us and if that's the case we need to move him on for both sides sake.

Mostly agree with he rest, especially on selling Kamara

Last edited:
It's not helped that we've had a rotating back 4 for most of this season due to injuries and Sands playing out of position, think next season we should hopefully look a bit more settled there

But a new keeper keeper will be needed for the next 2 or 3 seasons. One to replace Shagger this year, one to replace Mclaughlin next year and then whatever we do with McCrorie - I think it's crazy he's not been given a proper shot, surely he can't be that bad, if he has a future at Rangers he should be playing now to take over next season.

Understand McCrorie is young but if he can't get a spot with our keeper situation atm I'm struggle to see him ever make it at us and if that's the case we need to move him on for both sides sake.

Mostly agree with he rest, especially on selling Kamara

A keeper has been needed for 2 seasons, we aren’t talking about it right now because it’s not cost us lately but;

Motherwell scored 2, they had 3 attempts 2 on target. We had 28, 10 on target 4 goals.

Hibs scored 1, they had 4 attempts 1 on target. We had 31, 11 on target 4 goals.

Kilmarnock scored 1, they had 3 attempts 2 on target. We had 21, 8 on target 3 goals.

So last 3 games opposition have had 10 attempts, 5 on target 50%, 4 goals from 5, 80%.

Us 80 attempts, 29 on target 36%, 11 goals from 29, 38%.

Or if you want to be really depressed opposition 4 goals 10 attempts 40%, us 11 goals 80 attempts 14%.

So a keeper and a strike force that can bury chances.

You could argue it’s a positive they have the mentality to continually dig deep and come from behind.

We have improved greatly since Gio went in terms of results and goals scored and chances created.

It's not perfect and we have too many fillers in the squad that need moved on but we are improving in some areas and that needs to continue.

Back