Gerrard appears trackside next week. What kind of reception is he getting?

He gave us one trophy in twelve, and walked when he didn’t get his way after being backed as best the board could. He has respect, but I’m no gonna go giddy on sight when he walked away how he did. He needs to earn that back same way Souness did eventually.
Where were we, as a team, when he arrived?
Where were we, as a team, when he departed?

Could say the same with Souness, his name remained as mud for a long time. Different time, different standards it seems
Not with me.
I was disappointed on both occasions but my disappointment didn't blind me to the achievements of either man.
Hell hath no fury like a Rangers fan scorned it seems.

If gerrard had remained in post we would not have gotten to the Europa Cup Final

We were on our way out of Europe when he left
I agree with that. However, it doesn’t happen without the foundations he laid. None of it does. If it wasn’t for Gerrard we wouldn’t have people raging about getting beat off the likes of Ajax and Napoli in the Champions League. That’s the level of expectation we as fans have now. The bar has been raised tenfold and we were a millions miles away from that until he restored our pride and will to win.

For me Stephen Gerrard will always be welcome back to Ibrox.

He came to the club with the main objective in getting us above that lot and winning the League while ultimately stopping their 10.

He done what he came to do in my eyes. Yes he could have won more cups etc but the ULTIMATE priority was stopping 10 and delivering 55 which he done. And he changed the way in which we went into games against that lot. After watching us being absolutely bullied and humiliated for years playing them he turned that around and had us being the dominant team in those games.

Yes I understand he left us in a way I never thought he would have but when he walked out that door we where Champions of Scotland and the SPFL Trophy was sitting back where it belongs.

He'll get a decent reception, as he rightly should. He did a great job , and decided to move on to pastures new. It happens.

Some really need to put their big boy pants on.
He did a fantastic job into making us competitive again and bringing the pride and standards back.
I am forever grateful for that.

He left and we move on. Was it the best timing?
No, but that’s just football. Had he been shite and been sacked at the same time of the season, no one would give a shit.
100%

Of course they would. A lot of our fans love going back to what they perceive as tried and tested rather than anything progressive. So they’ll overlook the lack of Beale and his time at Villa.

Not my opinion btw. I’d hope he wouldn’t be the boards first pick, but let’s not deny the hero worship that he had wouldn’t likely return from some sections (I.e the most dramatic/emotional supporters)

I’d say most of us are ambivalent to him a year on. No major ill will, thankful for 55 and making us a respectful European force again. Remember the way he left but not getting too carried away about it now.
Your right of course, but I’m with you, if we really want to be a force again we need to look forward, not backwards.

I haven’t quite given up on Gio yet. Seville still leaves him with some credit in the bank, although he needs to keep us in the title race to survive since it doesn’t look like we’ll have any European football after Xmas.

Times definitely a healer. Probably about 99% of us love Souness now. It was probably 50/50 in the mid 1990s. It'll be the same thing with SG.

Back