Gerrard - "Little or No Business in the January Window."

I think SG will try and cut away some of the deadwood before we see any new faces coming in. Sadiq will surely be punted back to Roma? I’d assume we’ll try to move Pena and Wallace on.

So by the looks of it, it could be Foderingham, Wallace, Pena and Saqiq all out in January. At the very least 2 will probably go out of them.

I'd imagine we'll probably go for a loan deal or a couple of them to do us until the real business kicks in, in the summer.

So by the looks of it, it could be Foderingham, Wallace, Pena and Saqiq all out in January. At the very least 2 will probably go out of them.

I'd imagine we'll probably go for a loan deal or a couple of them to do us until the real business kicks in, in the summer.

You not confident on Luka mate ?

I’d be genuinely hopeful if we got Luka, Davis & a striker such as Solanke or Koljic.

Agree on the players out, but do you think we will get Pena away ? I’m just concerned at someone buying him after his behaviour. Do you think we’ll replace Wes ?

Reactions: cav
Guys we don't have lots of money . Let's get real for F S.
We need a commanding centre half . Let's wait until the summer.

It’s difficult to get value for money in the January window. Clubs invariably pay over the odds for emergency signings to bolster a title challenge or relegation fight; selling clubs know this so the price goes up. It’s also refreshing for our management to be playing their cards close to their chests instead of making it obvious we want/need to make signings.

As other posters have noted, we still need to work on our finances and part of this will be to move some players on before we start looking at replacements. I’d far rather we play the long game and work to a fully thought out, developed and costed plan which will allow us to build a squad which will give long term success and value for money rather than spunk £2.5 million on an alcoholic Mexican, for example.

Scanned through this thread and saw mention of a Croatian- who is it and is there a genuine interest? My view is that we are short in midfield in terms of quality and need another option up top. Anything else can wait til the summer.

I’d be genuinely hopeful if we got Luka, Davis & a striker such as Solanke or Koljic.

Agree on the players out, but do you think we will get Pena away ? I’m just concerned at someone buying him after his behaviour. Do you think we’ll replace Wes ?
If money's tight I'd still be delighted with Davis and Solanke on loan.
If the funds are there Ivanusec and Koljic would be even better.

But I'd still take Davis on loan regardless if it's possible at all,and I say that as someone not usually keen on re-signing ex-players.

Probably replied already but I can see a few players oot and a few in (no shit Sherlock)

Realistically I think one or two loans in, maybe one perm if the right player is there.

I’d like to see Bosnians ties up early so we can concentrate the summer business on those 2/3 players at 3mill kind of range rather than spread the wedge thin

Probably replied already but I can see a few players oot and a few in (no shit Sherlock)

Realistically I think one or two loans in, maybe one perm if the right player is there.

I’d like to see Bosnians ties up early so we can concentrate the summer business on those 2/3 players at 3mill kind of range rather than spread the wedge thin

I’d rather tie up some Serbians.

I'd love it if we did go for Luka Ivanusec, as it would be my FF highlight for years to come, mentioning him on here and us signing him. :D He would be ideal but it strikes me of a summer purchase, but by then it could be too late.

I dont think we'll spend in the Winter window and alot of the outgoings, which I am guessing will be used to finance loan deals and we'll spend in the summer. I also see Solanke as the number 10 behind Morelos if we do indeed go for him. I didnt rate him particularly that much but watching him playing for England u21s he looks like he'd be a star up here.

If we can get good money for Wes, I'd be happy with McCrorie as back up. I think we'll end up paying Pena off. I'd be shocked if we get decent money for him but who knows, maybe he'll play for Gerrard and wise up. Doubtful mind you.

Scanned through this thread and saw mention of a Croatian- who is it and is there a genuine interest? My view is that we are short in midfield in terms of quality and need another option up top. Anything else can wait til the summer.

Dont think there is genuine interest mate. I mentioned him in the summer about signing him and we're all hoping we sign him as he looks the ideal number 10. :D

I'd love it if we did go for Luka Ivanusec, as it would be my FF highlight for years to come, mentioning him on here and us signing him. :D He would be ideal but it strikes me of a summer purchase, but by then it could be too late.

I dont think we'll spend in the Winter window and alot of the outgoings, which I am guessing will be used to finance loan deals and we'll spend in the summer. I also see Solanke as the number 10 behind Morelos if we do indeed go for him. I didnt rate him particularly that much but watching him playing for England u21s he looks like he'd be a star up here.

If we can get good money for Wes, I'd be happy with McCrorie as back up. I think we'll end up paying Pena off. I'd be shocked if we get decent money for him but who knows, maybe he'll play for Gerrard and wise up. Doubtful mind you.

That’s my concern on Luka. He is according to Bobally who is based in Croatia playing really well this season, so we should go now. His shooting & those runs he makes directly at defences could be huge for us.
I still haven’t seen much of Solanke but we absolutely need cover in there. I’m not sure we would spend another 2m on Koljic at this time albeit he’s now broken into the Bosnia national team & is doing great in Romania.
If we got over 2m for Wes I’d probably take it as it would finance the Ivanusec deal. I’m not sure if Robbie is ready yet though ?
Pena ? Grrrrrrrr.......,..I think you’re right, but hopefully we make it hard for him & get him to drop his demands.

If money's tight I'd still be delighted with Davis and Solanke on loan.
If the funds are there Ivanusec and Koljic would be even better.

But I'd still take Davis on loan regardless if it's possible at all,and I say that as someone not usually keen on re-signing ex-players.

Agree Cav, Davis on loan & buying LI & EK would be perfect if we can afford 4m after the EL run, but I accept that Solanke on loan is more likely than Koljic. Koljic looks from the clips to have the physicality to cope here & could be a more natural scorer than Alfie while not having his overall attributes ?

That’s my concern on Luka. He is according to Bobally who is based in Croatia playing really well this season, so we should go now. His shooting & those runs he makes directly at defences could be huge for us.
I still haven’t seen much of Solanke but we absolutely need cover in there. I’m not sure we would spend another 2m on Koljic at this time albeit he’s now broken into the Bosnia national team & is doing great in Romania.
If we got over 2m for Wes I’d probably take it as it would finance the Ivanusec deal. I’m not sure if Robbie is ready yet though ?
Pena ? Grrrrrrrr.......,..I think you’re right, but hopefully we make it hard for him & get him to drop his demands.

I do think there will be more movement if we manage to get through the group stage of the Europa League. We'll be toiling to keep up with demands if not as it's still a young squad assembled in the past 6 months. I believe we'll get it right whoever we bring in.

Agree Cav, Davis on loan & buying LI & EK would be perfect if we can afford 4m after the EL run, but I accept that Solanke on loan is more likely than Koljic. Koljic looks from the clips to have the physicality to cope here & could be a more natural scorer than Alfie while not having his overall attributes ?
Morelos has been sensational this season and vital to our play,but I would always make room for someone not as talented but knows where the net is.A modern Erik Bo-Anderson if you like to come in and get you a goal in tight games or fill in when your main striker is injured or suspended.Maybe Koljic could be that type for us

King said in his post AGM interview that he ‘would be very surprised’ if we don’t do any business in January

If we shift Wallace Pena foderingham and sadiq that’s a lot of money off the wage bill. Plus possibly any transfer fee income could see us buying that AM that unlocks defences. Add to that the likelihood of getting someone on loan 2 players isn’t ridiculous.

Interesting comments from King, would be surprised if we didn't do any business in January but Mark and the Manager realise it can be difficult capturing long term quality players in this window, which suggests we are initially looking a loans.

Back