Goldson contract

Ok
I think you are getting a tad carried away describing him as 'tremendous'
He's very good for domestic football.
He's a level beneath what we need for Europe though...especially if we are competing in the latter stages of Europa or CL.
Shouldn't we all want to push on and try and go up a level?

Ok
I think you are getting a tad carried away describing him as 'tremendous'
He's very good for domestic football.
He's a level beneath what we need for Europe though...especially if we are competing in the latter stages of Europa or CL.
Shouldn't we all want to push on and try and go up a level?
Would love to echo your sentiments , but hopefully we can push on to that level ,(miles off just now ).
I still think that Goldson would be a mainstay in a vastly improved side.

The guy has been a great pro for us. I wouldn't burst the wage structure to make him sign a new deal - but I would certainly keep him in the team until the summer. 56 is so vital for us.

Is this a matter of public record that Balogun has stated, or do you know him or friends of his? I ask because it is often stated on here as a fact. Would he not want another year with CL football playing for us rather than a fairly low level German team?
He has said he wants to go back before the end of his career, that doesn't necessarily mean the end of his Rangers career. The guy you're replying to must have read the article wrong.

Does the wage structure include a cap on signing on or re-signing fees?

There will be ways and means to push a few extra quid Goldson's way if the club feel he merits it.

What about an EBT? ;)
Contract runs out, 5 yr contract, signing on fee, testimonial at the end if he's still there?

Love big Goldson and rather he and others stayed, but it would seem some of our support have forgotten how we got in to such a financial mess during the Murray and Whyte era's.

Whatever, I've seen far superior Rangers defenders leave the club. I have nothing against him but I won't lose any sleep

Love big Goldson and rather he and others stayed, but it would seem some of our support have forgotten how we got in to such a financial mess during the Murray and Whyte era's.

TBH letting CG walk for nowt is far closer to the SDM strategy.

We’ve always been terrible at selling players. We need to try remove some emotion from it, and come to terms with the fact if Southampton or Brentford want our best players, they’ll come and grab them.

Our top ten transfer fees received still has Trevor Steven in it. Our transfer strategy is welded to the 90s.

He’s not staying, he obviously wants what we can’t give him. If he helps deliver 56 then leaves for free I will be grateful to him and will understand why he’s going. If he plays like he’s done since Gio came in, we can’t ask for anything else from him. Be professional til the end and you will leave a hero and always be welcome back to Ibrox.

He’s not staying, he obviously wants what we can’t give him. If he helps deliver 56 then leaves for free I will be grateful to him and will understand why he’s going. If he plays like he’s done since Gio came in, we can’t ask for anything else from him. Be professional til the end and you will leave a hero and always be welcome back to Ibrox.
Pretty much summed up well. Would love him to stay but can’t see it.

Searched back a few pages and I know it’ll have been done to death on here but would you be giving him what he’s after (Lundstram’s wage apparently) or would you let him play to the summer if he signs a pre-contract somewhere else

Selling him for peanuts or not playing him are not an option for me. He’s integral to our team and how we play.

Going to be very hard to replace if/when he goes
Whats lundstram wage?

If he can command an extra £15k a week, that’s £3m over 4 years.

Not to mention bonuses and signing on fees. Conceivably £5-7m better off for leaving.

He’s not a Rangers fan. Gerrard brought him up here, he delivered the title and probably wants to chase the money. All which is fair enough, imo.

If he leaves on a free with us Champions and in champions league he'll have more than earned his bosman and should leave with our thanks

one possibility that hasn't really been discussed is that could be in his interests to sign a short year's extension if he doesn't get the sort of deal he's looking for down south

That’s what annoys me most about this situation, when good players contracts are down to 2 years left they should sign another or be sold. As you’ve rightly pointed out this has cost us dearly in the past so why the fk is it still happening!
I don't think it's a stretch to suggest our last management team had a strategy that had no real focus on the future. They went all in with what we had and situations like this were the result.

It's a decision RW will need to make. If Goldson signs a pre contract with a EPL team which I think is most likely then we need to weigh up the potential fee for selling in Jan and what selling him would do to our league chances. Currently we are way to light in the CB department for us to let him go and would best to keep him until the summer and let him go for free IMO.
We don't need a £1m or so that much that we should let him go in January.
The league is too important. Far to important to bring in a replacement and 'hope' that it works. He should leave in the summer with for free with our best wishes.

Back