Have we ever let a young player that has ever really been one we have lived to regret?

Charlie Miller I cry at the waste of a talent and career.
I think if Advocaat was manager when he broke through it would have been a different story.

The main problem was during the latter stages of going for 9Iar from 95 onwards younger players only got into the team if there was an injury crisis etc.

In fairness Craig Moore and Charlie Miller were probably the exception to that rule.

The problem with Craig Moore is that he was always played at right back, midfield and never in his proper position at Centre half where he excelled when Advocaat brought him back.

Charlie Miller was an exceptional young talent who did show on occasions he could do the business but he got too caught up in the drink culture of the club at the time and did affect him

No they didn’t get a fair chance v others who were played often and were shite, how many games and minutes did they play with what level of logic or sense?

McCoist and his youth policy was a total nonsense

Did you even watch us? They got plenty minutes and didn't stand out other than McLeod and McKay.

Lambasting mccoist for youth policy at that stage is fucking ridiculous.

Did you even watch us? They got plenty minutes and didn't stand out other than McLeod and McKay.

Lambasting mccoist for youth policy at that stage is fucking ridiculous.
I did, talk me through the minutes Stoney and Gasparatto got.

People often speak about past events TBH

Gordon didn't play at 1974 world cup also missed 1978 as he was injured. Fro memory I think Jim Holton was our centre-half. Only ever remember Kenny Burns at centre forward for us in the mid-seventies when he was at Birmingham, stepped back to centre-half at Forest under Clough and was very capable in that position for the national team for a while. Also won player of the year in England the season Forest won the league, read a newspaper interview he gave a few years back in which he made clear he's still a true blue.
Looking back , you are right about McQueen in 74 (bench only)
Hibs John Blackely played CB v Zaire.
But the sentiment remains , that could have been a helluva strong back four for us at the time.

How many games did they play for Rangers, you have asked if I watch us, do you? Do you think that’s fair game time?

Yes i think it was fair, because they were clearly not any good as their post Rangers careers demonstrate!

They fact you are picking two who had the least game time and ignoring the multiple players from the list who played 20, 30, 40, 50+ games for us over that period is a pretty stark indicator that you know your point is utter bullshit.

Yes i think it was fair, because they were clearly not any good as their post Rangers careers demonstrate!

They fact you are picking two who had the least game time and ignoring the multiple players from the list who played 20, 30, 40, 50+ games for us over that period is a pretty stark indicator that you know your point is utter bullshit.

How many games did they play? You made mention of them to demonstrate McCoist giving youth a chance, neither were given a reasonable chance.

The point isn’t bullshit TBH - Barrie McKay and the “management” and coaching of him shows this

Actually can’t believe people actually think McCoist gave youth a reasonable chance it’s revisionist nonsense

How many games did they play? You made mention of them to demonstrate McCoist giving youth a chance, neither were given a reasonable chance.

The point isn’t bullshit TBH - Barrie McKay and the “management” and coaching of him shows this

Actually can’t believe people actually think McCoist gave youth a reasonable chance it’s revisionist nonsense

OK so the revionist nonsense is saying mccoist played youth players, as the list above shows he did, rather than saying he didn't like you, when the stats for the period clearly show he did.

LG had 4 games and DS 3, don't know how that proves anything for you.

McKay had a bad attitude, so got sent on loan.

Oh dear, I can’t believe that one day on you’re still there defending the indefensible.
By now you’re down to just Barrie McKay to suggest McCoist messed with his potential, forgetting he played plenty of games over 2012/13 season and that the subsequent better “management” he did receive made him an average player at best who never made it at Forest or Swansea or even at Hearts (if you ever had the time to read what Jambos think of him) and surely never felt missed by Rangers supporters.

Lewis McLeod
Barrie McKay
Robbie Crawford
Ross Perry
Kal Naismith
Kane Hemmings
Andy Mitchell
Andy Little
Fraser Aird
Luca Gasparotto
Chris Heggarty
Kyle Hutton
Danny Stoney
Callum Gallagher
Kyle McAusland
Craig Halkett

All "youth products" of Rangers that featured under McCoist.

Most of them failed to impress against 2nd and 3rd division players. Plenty youth players got a chance under McCoist.

I am not going to go through the entire list but I can’t remember Craig Halkett getting any games and Stoney had less than a half worth of minutes.

McCoist tried to copy Walter Smith’s approach of only playing youth as a last resort, they would rather sign a journeyman or play players out of position. I’ll be honest had Smith stayed Barry Ferguson was leaving and may well have ended up the same as his brother Derek and not became the top European class midfielder he turned out to be. Had Walter also played Barry week in week out in his last season instead of persisting with the waster Gazza had become,we may well have got the ten in a row.

Under McCoist Our under 18 team at the time was good enough to win the third division we didn’t need 32 year old Emilson Cribari or 31 year old Kevin Kyle

We then signed a 34 year old Steve Simonsen 30 yo Jon Daly to-win league 1.

we then signed 34 yo Kenny Miller, 30 Boyd, 30 yo Zaliukus, 28 yo‘s Foster, McGregor and Robinson to play with 37 yo Lee McCulloch and the dads army finished third in the championship.

None of the players you listed may not have gone on to have had better careers but their development was definitely stunted by not getting played as much as they should have.

He comes across quite bitter now but we could have asked the question of Andy Robertson, he had not long been released by celtic and the rejection was still raw, he wouldn’t have been the first or the last player brought up supporting celtic to play for us. Instead we signed 28 yo injury prone Steven Smith. Who had managed about 90 games in his previous 7 seasons. It was no surprise he kept up this average and only managed 16 out of the 48 we played that season.

I wouldn’t say any failed to impress it was more the failed journeyman and lack of tactics that held us back.

Big Dunc, then bought him for a then British transfer record a few years later.

He was never on our books but Dalglish grew up in Ibrox.

So after 5 pages we’ve pretty much agreed that Kenny Burns and Rino are the only two over 50 years we really regret letting go. Given Gilmour was poached/bought by Chelsea when he was 15, we can hardly count him, so they may be the only two in 60 years.

For the under 50’s on here, Dalglish, McGrain, Davie Provan, Murdoch McLeod and Tam Gemmill don’t count. They were never on Rangers books, they were just fans who did ok at another club because Jock Stein targeted great young Protestants because he knew we weren’t interested in the good young Catholics! Great strategy you have to say.

OK so the revionist nonsense is saying mccoist played youth players, as the list above shows he did, rather than saying he didn't like you, when the stats for the period clearly show he did.

McCoist was an atrocious manager, and he handled youth very badly. Was more concerned with going undefeated in the third tier of Scottish football than looking to the future.

I said “reasonable chance” playing players for 1,2,3,4,5 games etc isn’t that, more so given the utter endless pish that was played relentlessly

McKay had a bad attitude, wonder why given the general conditions at the training ground around that time.

I said “reasonable chance” playing players for 1,2,3,4,5 games etc isn’t that, more so given the utter endless pish that was played relentlessly

McKay had a bad attitude, wonder why given the general conditions at the training ground around that time.

He played young players for 30, 40 and 50+ games for us.

Facts are none of them were good enough for us. The good ones all left

He played young players for 30, 40 and 50+ games for us.

Facts are none of them were good enough for us. The good ones all left
Aye the likes of Halkett, McKay, Hemmings and Little just couldn’t hit those heights Faure, Black, Sandazza and Daly did

“Good enough” for us was fucking shite overpaying players who couldnt win a Ramsdens Cup. Did you watch us?

Aye the likes of Halkett, McKay, Hemmings and Little just couldn’t hit those heights Faure, Black, Sandazza and Daly did

“Good enough” for us was fucking shite overpaying players who couldnt win a Ramsdens Cup. Did you watch us?

Yes.

The vest young players played. Lewis McLeod played 74 games under McCoist before he was sold for buttons.

Its absolute nonsense to suggest we could have done anything of note with youth players at the time.

Yes.

The vest young players played. Lewis McLeod played 74 games under McCoist before he was sold for buttons.

Its absolute nonsense to suggest we could have done anything of note with youth players at the time.
We didn’t do anything of note anyway, note would have been slightly more engaging football and developing a clutch of young home grown players to prop the squad up with which was achievable

No one was expecting some miracle group leading to the CL a side to beat Raith in the Ramsdens would have been grand

We didn’t do anything of note anyway, note would have been slightly more engaging football and developing a clutch of young home grown players to prop the squad up with which was achievable

No one was expecting some miracle group leading to the CL a side to beat Raith in the Ramsdens would have been grand

You don’t seem to be able to grasp that the majority of youth players Rangers had at the time, were not good enough. As their careers after Rangers have shown.

I remember an Interview with Hemmings when he was doing well with Dundee saying that McCoist believed in him, encouraged him and gave him his chance but he let himself down because nerves got the better of him. I think people are a bit naive when it comes to expecting young, inexperienced players to just handle the pressure that comes with playing for Rangers - evev when we were in the 4th tier.

He clearly wasn't cut out for management but I'm not going to criticise him too much for not going with youth more than he did.

You don’t seem to be able to grasp that the majority of youth players Rangers had at the time, were not good enough. As their careers after Rangers have shown.

The majority of first team players and the manager we had the time weren't good enough as their careers have shown and they demonstrated on a weekly basis at the time, that wasn't just not good enough for Rangers, it was not good enough in the lower leagues of Scotland.

The likes of Hemmings, Halkett, McKay and Little were all more than good enough to equal what those on the park were achieving with us, or would go on to achieve and would have done so at a fraction of the cost, with the potential of a higher ceiling.

Lewis Macleod has ultimately went on to show he likely isn't "good enough" to play for us now, but was more than capable of doing so then

The name Andy Robertson was mentioned earlier on this thread, I expect, had we actually signed him, he would have ended up "not good enough" either, despite the career he has had, because players do need to have the platform of good coaching to help with their development

I just pray that we don’t add Alex Lowry to this list.
He is the future. This kid is phenomenal at 19. It is vitally important that he gets lots of game time in the season and seasons ahead….

I did, talk me through the minutes Stoney and Gasparatto got.

People often speak about past events TBH

They are still quite young perhaps we could go after them, I’m sure Johnstone Burgh and the Canadian Post Office would be easy to deal with.

In a thread about players who went on to bigger things I’m not sure how relevant these guys are.

The majority of first team players and the manager we had the time weren't good enough as their careers have shown and they demonstrated on a weekly basis at the time, that wasn't just not good enough for Rangers, it was not good enough in the lower leagues of Scotland.

The likes of Hemmings, Halkett, McKay and Little were all more than good enough to equal what those on the park were achieving with us, or would go on to achieve and would have done so at a fraction of the cost, with the potential of a higher ceiling.

Lewis Macleod has ultimately went on to show he likely isn't "good enough" to play for us now, but was more than capable of doing so then

The name Andy Robertson was mentioned earlier on this thread, I expect, had we actually signed him, he would have ended up "not good enough" either, despite the career he has had, because players do need to have the platform of good coaching to help with their development

Andy Little scored 6 goals in 29 appearances in the league 1 season. Was that really good enough to get us back into the Premier league?

Why would Andy Robertson have signed for us to be understudy to Lee Wallace in league 1 rather than go and be first choice in the Premier league?

We were not at attractive proposition for quality youth at that point in time, and any that were any good would just have been sold, cut price

The top youth prospects at the time were Jamie Ness, Rhys McCabe and John Fleck and they all buggered off when admin happened, and rightly so.

You also are overlooking the fact the scum in control of the club were spending our money as fast as they could on purpose, so had money not been spent on players it would have been wasted on something else.

Andy Little scored 6 goals in 29 appearances in the league 1 season. Was that really good enough to get us back into the Premier league?

Why would Andy Robertson have signed for us to be understudy to Lee Wallace in league 1 rather than go and be first choice in the Premier league?

We were not at attractive proposition for quality youth at that point in time, and any that were any good would just have been sold, cut price

The top youth prospects at the time were Jamie Ness, Rhys McCabe and John Fleck and they all buggered off when admin happened, and rightly so.

You also are overlooking the fact the scum in control of the club were spending our money as fast as they could on purpose, so had money not been spent on players it would have been wasted on something else.

Andy Little was regularly shunted around and moved all over the place to accommodate others, would he have been good enough, who knows, but for context 6 goals in League 1 was one less than a guy who cost more than Tav, Morelos or Kamara, almost like the manager didn't really know how to get the best out of talent even he rated. It is almost like the manager over complicated every situation we found ourselves and made players look less than, and every league look more difficult than it actually could look.

We didn't need "quality youth", people didn't expect "quality youth" why would they? we didn't have a quality first team, fans were smart enough to be aware of our situation, and knew it wouldn't be the next Mo Salah, but it would be different to watching what was at the time, the current Ian Black.

Even if players had been sold at a cut price it seems more logical to me than a coach would have at least you know, tried v the reality.

Robertson would have got a game even with Lee Wallace TBH, McCoist would have played him LW, or maybe not, maybe just played Steve Smith there instead

I can think multiple things about things TBH

Spivs = c*nts, they can be that and should be judged as that it doesn't simply excuse a coach to even attempt to apply some form of standards, it is possible to think multiple things about a situation.

I find the attitude of aucht it was shite anyway so what the f*ck can you do a bit strange in all honesty. McCoist didn't mismanage funds with reckless abandon as a way to get it up the Spivs, he spent money on p*sh because it was the easy option, attempting to develop youth was just for the most part too much a pain in the arse for him, he would f*ck kids off after games and go back to trusted pish often, it is why simply listing a big muckle list of names doesn't mean much.

List the absolute f*cking much he played during those years if you think lists validate a point, it will be a fair old bit bigger, with more games, minutes, appearances and chances than those you listed before got

Last edited:
Andy Little was regularly shunted around and moved all over the place to accommodate others, would he have been good enough, who knows, but for context 6 goals in League 1 was one less than a guy who cost more than Tav, Morelos or Kamara, almost like the manager didn't really know how to get the best out of talent even he rated. It is almost like the manager over complicated every situation we found ourselves and made players look less than, and every league look more difficult than it actually could look.

We didn't need "quality youth", people didn't expect "quality youth" why would they? we didn't have a quality first team, fans were smart enough to be aware of our situation, and knew it wouldn't be the next Mo Salah, but it would be different to watching what was at the time, the current Ian Black.

Even if players had been sold at a cut price it seems more logical to me than a coach would have at least you know, tried v the reality.

Robertson would have got a game even with Lee Wallace TBH, McCoist would have played him LW, or maybe not, maybe just played Steve Smith there instead

I can think multiple things about things TBH

Spivs = c*nts, they can be that and should be judged as that it doesn't simply excuse a coach to even attempt to apply some form of standards, it is possible to think multiple things about a situation.

I find the attitude of aucht it was shite anyway so what the f*ck can you do a bit strange in all honesty. McCoist didn't mismanage funds with reckless abandon as a way to get it up the Spivs, he spent money on p*sh because it was the easy option, attempting to develop youth was just for the most part too much a pain in the arse for him, he would f*ck kids off after games and go back to trusted pish often, it is why simply listing a big muckle list of names doesn't mean much.

List the absolute f*cking much he played during those years if you think lists validate a point, it will be a fair old bit bigger, with more games, minutes, appearances and chances than those you listed before got

I think I am going to just leave this here as you are in cloud cuckoo land regarding this. You think we could have got promoted to the top league playing our youth players who clearly weren't good enough to do that, and are ignoring the evidence that shows McCoist regularly played the ones who were good enough for the team at that time.

I think I am going to just leave this here as you are in cloud cuckoo land regarding this. You think we could have got promoted to the top league playing our youth players who clearly weren't good enough to do that, and are ignoring the evidence that shows McCoist regularly played the ones who were good enough for the team at that time.

I think our side should have been supplemented with a greater clutch of youth to go along side our first team, and I think a competent coach would have managed this, and developed a few more players capable of winning promotion from the Scottish Championship. I mean we finished, get this, actually get what I am going to type here 24 - TWENTY FOUR points behind a side who done that, in the SCOTTISH CHAMPIONSHIP, 24 points.

McCoist could aid players to become "good enough" that was his job, I don't need to look at a list as though that is evidence, it isn't, I watched it with my eyes.

Little, was f*cked about, shunted around and bombed out the first chance McCoist got, even when scoring goals he would go to moving Little rather than offering him the keys to the 9 shirt for the lower leagues.

McKay was performing well, developing nicely, but than apparently had an "attitude problem" as we played Ian f*cking Black

Aird has a list of appearances, maybe look at the minutes of some of those, getting chucked into games with 5 minutes to go to often basically play as wing back and protect a lead.

MacLeod, did fantastically well, one for Ally to be proud of, he was also sh*t scared to simply unleash the talent he did have and played him often LM rather than letting him run the game from CM when it was obvious he could do that

So aye, I watch us. I remember it, I don't need to just look at lists.

No one had ever decided you were good enough TBH, so it matters not a single f*ck.
So Stoney and Gasparatto were good enough in your opinion and its a stick to beat a club legend for not playing them?

Danny Stoney, the player who at 26 now plays for Johnstone Burgh FC? And Luca Gasparatto who retired at the age of 25, not due to injury but because the lofty levels he was capable of playing was for York9 United FC in Canada, a side who have never won a single trophy? So he retired to become a Tree Surgeon? Those two are players that demonstrate McCoist "didn't give youth a chance?".

McCoist did give plenty a chance, but nobody who wasn't given a chance has gone on to be nearly good enough elsewhere. Come on man.

Last edited:
That’s one definitely but would keeping Gattuso have meant we wouldn’t have Barry Ferguson being the influence he was? Advocaat preferred Barry who It will be argued but in my opinion was a better player and had a far better temperament.

Rino certainly had a marvellous career
I think Advocate wanted Rino to play right back, but he refused and that was the reason he left. Did he not play right back for Italy on his debut

So Stoney and Gasparatto were good enough in your opinion and its a stick to beat a club legend for not playing them?

Danny Stoney, the player who at 26 now plays for Johnstone Burgh FC? And Luca Gasparatto who retired at the age of 25, not due to injury but because he struggled to get a game for York9 FC in Canada? to become a Tree Surgeon? Those two are players that demonstrate McCoist "didn't give youth a chance?".

McCoist did give plenty a chance, but nobody who wasn't given a chance has gone on to be nearly good enough elsewhere. Come on man.

Nah I don't think working under McCoist as a manager offered a player a fair chance of making a career of it TBH. He could barely drag up first team players

The "club" I am beating with was at that time McCoist who is the worst manager in our history by a fair old distance, I don't really fell much shame in making comment on how how f*cking p*sh things were at that time TBH

Nah I don't think working under McCoist as a manager offered a player a fair chance of making a career of it TBH. He could barely drag up first team players

The "club" I am beating with was at that time McCoist who is the worst manager in our history by a fair old distance, I don't really fell much shame in making comment on how how f*cking p*sh things were at that time TBH
Or more like the young players we had just weren't very good as has been proven with their subsequent careers. Lewis McLeod was the only one remotely close to being good enough.

Are those not two separate subjects? Have a look at the thread topic mate.

it links with what you have been replying to me about TBH, if you didn't think it was relevant, don't reply to it...but your reply gives more an answer than an actual attempt at an answer to what I asked would have

Fantastic shout. I didn't realise he was still only 22 when he left after scoring almost 150 goals at very nearly one a game.

Probably cost us at least 1 European trophy and a few of their real 9 in a row.
Absolutely correct. Many mistakes were made in the aftermath of Berwick which affected our club for years to come, to sell such a prolific goalscorer who still had so much to offer was just madness. I know you can never be absolutely certain, however had Jim played in the '67 final I'm sure he would have applied finishes to several of the excellent chances we created on the night. As would his cousin Alex Willoughby, a player who was criminally under used during his time at Ibrox.

I wouldn't even try to drag up enough piss to put you out if you were on fire.

But I guess we all have our opinions.

So now you’re arguing with yourself?

Back